Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 August 2010, 14:56   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
safety boat?

A question for those in the know.....

I have been asked to be a safety boat at a charity event organised via my family that may involve people jumping in a marina and being 'rescued' by Newfoundland dogs....

Anyway do i need any special 'things' on the basis there is no pay and I'm carrying passengers etc.

When i see the local sailing club safety boats i know even my 4m rib is better equipped so I'm hoping I'll be ok....

Any suggestions welcome??
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 15:01   #2
RAD
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 288
I should think you will be ok. Afterall, you are not being paid, you are not gaining from this.

As long as you kill your engine within 2 mtrs of someone in the water, you'll be fine.
__________________

__________________
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:09   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
A question for those in the know.....

I have been asked to be a safety boat at a charity event organised via my family that may involve people jumping in a marina and being 'rescued' by Newfoundland dogs....

Anyway do i need any special 'things' on the basis there is no pay and I'm carrying passengers etc.

When i see the local sailing club safety boats i know even my 4m rib is better equipped so I'm hoping I'll be ok....

Any suggestions welcome??
Peter - if you mean do you need to be approved / registered / certified / coded / licensed in any way then no - you are not gaining so you are exempt from the regs.

I've done safety cover for a couple of events recently as part of a large fleet of safety boats. Neither of these made any request that I carry any special equipment, neither did they check what I had on board. If you are the only boat it may be more important that you have the right gear. Since your role if required is presumably to pull people out the water, if required, and then quickly get them to shore your requirements are probably minimal. I don't know what you've got on board but the only things the average cruising ribber might not have and would be useful are: Throw line (can be easier/quicker in a tight space than manoeuvring the boat) and some way of getting/keeping a casualty warm while returning to shore - if it is in a marina this might just be a couple of big towels. I'd normally expect a safety boat to have a first aid kit on board - but actually you probably don't even need one for what you seem to be planning. A knife (in case someone should be entangled in a rope) but you probably carry one on board anyway - you might want it readily at hand.

I'm assuming you've "practised" getting an unconscious casualty aboard the shearwater. Actually the SR might be more appropriate?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:47   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
What date is this taking place Pete, I may be able to offer boat/kit?

Steve
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 17:00   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Peter,

I would suggest that at the least you equip your boat to the equivalent of RYA safety boat.

I don't have the reference here but iirc you need the following

First aid kit
Knife
Thermal Protective aid
Paddle
Compass
Tow rope
Fire extinguisher
Inshore flare pack
Spare kill cord
HH VHF.

I would imagine you've already got all of that on board in any case.

Duncan
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 17:09   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Peter,

I would suggest that at the least you equip your boat to the equivalent of RYA safety boat.

I don't have the reference here but iirc you need the following

First aid kit
Knife
Thermal Protective aid
Paddle
Compass
Tow rope
Fire extinguisher
Inshore flare pack
Spare kill cord
HH VHF.

I would imagine you've already got all of that on board in any case.

Duncan
Duncan, I'm sure he has that stuff on board too - but at what point in providing safety cover for "people jumping in a marina" is he likely to need a compass or flares
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 17:55   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Thanks for the replies . It would be the Avon I'd use - a bit less cumbersome in tight space, and a damn sight less thirsty over the course of several hours.

I do have everything you could ever want on the boat and would move a few bits like the throwline etc over from the bigger boat.

In terms of time/location its all a work in progress. It would be in aid of hearing dogs for the deaf - marina woudl be any that could accomodate really - maybe 2011....
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 18:39   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: solent
Boat name: Falcon
Make: ocean dynamics
Length: 9m +
Engine: Diesel jet/twin outb
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24
Safety Boat

Hi Peter,just a cautionary word..check that the organisers Public Liability Insurance extends to you..if you mess up,or accidentally injure someone the litigation lawyers are very adept at making anyone performing a function with good intent look like an amatuer numpty,they will say that your duty of care was suspect or that you were negligent as you were not"qualified " ie RYA Safety Boat as a baseline...it may seem OTT BUT BEING PRUDENT CAN SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLE IN THE FUTURE! ATB Tony
__________________
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 19:36   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
Hi Peter,just a cautionary word..check that the organisers Public Liability Insurance extends to you..if you mess up,or accidentally injure someone the litigation lawyers are very adept at making anyone performing a function with good intent look like an amatuer numpty,they will say that your duty of care was suspect or that you were negligent as you were not"qualified " ie RYA Safety Boat as a baseline...it may seem OTT BUT BEING PRUDENT CAN SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLE IN THE FUTURE! ATB Tony

Oh yes - they have done this before and liability was/is/could be my job again soon. I have horror stories I could tell.......
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2010, 07:23   #10
Member
 
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
What extra kit

The piece of kit you may find useful is a crew member to help recover people from the water
__________________

__________________
STORMFORCE COACHING
web - www.stormforce.biz
email - coaching@stormforce.biz
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.