Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Irish requirements

Hi

Does anyone know what is involved in obtaining the required qualifications/coding a RIB for use in Ireland. I have had some enquiries regarding film work in Dublin and am currently fine for UK work but wanted to explore the possibility of meeting the standards in over there.

I have done a search and can't find any discussion on this.
Old 16 May 2005, 18:12   #2

Town: Poole
I am not any sort of expert on the Irish system but did go out on a Scorpion there with www.seasafari.ie who operate out of Dublin. From chatting to the guy who owned it (Colm) they seemed not to have any form of defined coding system and overall it appeared a bit different to the UK. As an example the Scorpion had guard rails fitted to the tubes (Umm!!) and an Epirb was mandatory. Perhaps give the guy a call as he may be prepared to give you some info. Aside from that i think the kit requirements were pretty similar

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 19:53   #3

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
Hi

Does anyone know what is involved in obtaining the required qualifications/coding a RIB for use in Ireland.
Now this depends on your passport ! Lets see.... you have a UK passport so that will be €3750 please and an old wooden pallet for your passengers to hang onto if the rib sinks I dont know of any coding here. Contact Stuart Mc Namara (powerboat) on this web site.... he is the know it all and all round good egg in Ireland
Old 17 May 2005, 20:41   #4

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel
I am not any sort of expert on the Irish system but did go out on a Scorpion there with www.seasafari.ie who operate out of Dublin. From chatting to the guy who owned it (Colm) they seemed not to have any form of defined coding system and overall it appeared a bit different to the UK. As an example the Scorpion had guard rails fitted to the tubes (Umm!!) and an Epirb was mandatory. Perhaps give the guy a call as he may be prepared to give you some info. Aside from that i think the kit requirements were pretty similar

Paul

Eire licences are issued by the dept of marine and they do operate a coding system. Full details including appication forms are available on their web site.

They will not accept a UK coded boat as an equivalent on the basis .. quote " UK certification is not up to our standard". !!!

They tend to limit RIBs to 3 or 6 mile limits and have a great favour towards protection of personel overboard and can insist on internal grab rails. They also want assurances on structural integrity and depending on the brand may go to great lengths to prove the vessel construction is sound.

I have also come across a case where SOLAS equipment was not accepted..!!!!.

All in all a difficult bunch to deal with, depending on the surveyor, but some do suceed.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 17 May 2005, 22:06   #5

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Hi guys,

A lot of what you say about the lack of clarity of standards for coding ribs.......but some are achieving success.

Try Marine Motord in cork. they are very thorough and have sucessfully got a selection of boats coded recently.

http://www.marinemotorscork.com/