Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I will be going down this road eventually but HATE red tape!!!

Surely a boat used just for part of a film or in an advert doesn't need to be coded??

Mine will be used for a lot more than that but just wondering!!!

Red tape... no. A visit from a surveyor and provided the vessel is acceptable and all equipment is on board then it is a 2 hour formaility.

Of course if the equipment is not there then it will cost money and this should be accounted for in proper, decent charter fees. Secondly the equipment should be there for safe boating !

A passenger does not have to be fare paying to be clased as such. A passenger is defined as someone not normally clased as part of the ships crew on a commercial vessel. Making someone a temp. crew for the day is open to challenge as you will have to demonstrate that they are either qualified or have substantial training for the vessel.

As for a TV camera it will be defined as cargo. Cargo is any item that would not normally be considered as hand baggage for personal use. The harmonised codes permit cargo to 1000kg (subj. to vessel)

Thus the point of definition that you need to examine is not fare paying passengers but commercial. I would anticipate that this will be defined as something that is not part of the normal activity of the boat (in your case pleasure), has an element of contract (and this will be the case as you will be requested to attend on a certain day, at a location defined by an other for their purposes) and possibly reward. The reward need not be financial.

Lastly I have not met a film crew that did not ask for a copy of the vessels certificate before engaging the vessel. Whatever the activity on the day the film crew will be dictating the vessels movements and in their HSE plan will want to delegate this responsibility out to "qualified vessels and persons".

Suggest you code or seek clarification from MCA as you have ineffect put yourself on notice by asking the question and cannot mitigate ignorance.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk

Old 26 April 2005, 18:18   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Thanks John - will obviously have to go down that route - will pm you when I am ready - pick your brains a bit more!!!

Old 27 April 2005, 03:38   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Would be cheaper for the film crew just to charter a professional skipper and coded rib wouldn't it ?

Pete
Old 27 April 2005, 03:56   #14

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Surely the most important thing about coding a rib is to actually have one Codders when did you say your boat would be ready again Des
Old 27 April 2005, 04:08   #15

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
I would suggest its not read tape

I have spent a great deal of money and time ensuring that i have the necessary qualifications and experince. Whilst the sea on a nice/rough day may seem inviting the people you carry for either pleasure or work look to you to ensure they are safe. As example my boat is coded, but to be honest the standard (apart from the liferaft) is the standard i would get the boat to - why because my best friend (my missus) is with me.

They RYA system is good and provides a good method of becoming a safe boatman sorry boatperson (thats for louise). Dont consider it red tape, it really is not.

Here a bad example, one of my mates was doing a Coastal skipped with exam for somebody last week, the somebody who charters in greece basically failed becuase he plotted a course over the submerged barrier (Solent), he had not taken any qualification and assumed that he could pass - point is what would have happened if the boat was really in trouble - god knows.
Old 27 April 2005, 04:13   #16

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
boatperson (thats for louise).
Thanks Jimbob! Sound advice there IMHO!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2005, 04:13   #17

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Yes there is no doubt about it!

I am a Marine Co-ordinator in the film and TV business, one of my jobs is to do risk assessments for productions. The boat will need to be coded, and the skipper will need a commercial qualification relevant to the area they are working in, and experience to deal with the expected situations. Permissions will also have to be obtained from any harbour or local authorities that govern the areas that are being filmed.

If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me direct by PM or email - happy to help!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2005, 05:16   #18
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Would be cheaper for the film crew just to charter a professional skipper and coded rib wouldn't it ?

Pete
And thats just the fuel costs!
Well he was goin to put a Suzuki 225 2 stroke on it!
Old 27 April 2005, 08:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
And thats just the fuel costs!
Well he was goin to put a Suzuki 225 2 stroke on it!

Tell me about it!!!!

Still the engine was less than HALF the price of a new etec!!!
Old 27 April 2005, 08:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Yes there is no doubt about it!

I am a Marine Co-ordinator in the film and TV business, one of my jobs is to do risk assessments for productions. The boat will need to be coded, and the skipper will need a commercial qualification relevant to the area they are working in, and experience to deal with the expected situations. Permissions will also have to be obtained from any harbour or local authorities that govern the areas that are being filmed.

If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me direct by PM or email - happy to help!
Thanks Cookee - I WILL go down the correct route but I still think it highly unlikey that every you boat you see in an advert or whatever is coded.

If someone takes some film of some jetskiers in action and then sells it and gives them some cash are they breaking the law as well???

It saddens me that common sense is so over ridden with rules - basically it means that I could take a week long course and then be deemed SAFER than someone like Steve Curtis because I have more bits of paper than him!!! BONKERS!!!

I see the same in the climbing world - people who have perhaps 20 yrs experience climbing in the Alps and even Himalayas not being allowed to lead some venture scouts because they aren't qualified - then people's kids are allowed to go off with some idiot who has done a 6 day course for 190.