Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Commercial operators
Click Here to Login

Old 30 May 2003, 00:59   #1

Town: South Shields
Make: diesel rib wanted
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel
Codeing a pacific 22 rib...is it worth it?

I'm thinking of buying a diesel rib and getting it through the Yellow code and was wondering if anyone had done the same in the past?, and if so did you find the pacific 22 too small for divers and kit. Realistically my budget is around 15k for the boat with the safety kit to follow at a later date. Also if anyone can suggest any other diesel ribs around this price that are suitable for dive charter i'd appreciate the advice.
Cheers Will.
Old 30 May 2003, 06:06   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Pacific 22

Will, just putting the final touches to mine now and then I call in the surveyor. Thankfully there is loads of space under the deck (I can crawl underneath the console) for the additional kit. There is a Ribcraft 6.8 operating our of Portland with a big Yam 225 4 stroke in the dive boat role, but I am not sure were all the safety kit is. Dell Connolly used to operate a pair of P22s out of Portland as dive boats quite sucessfully, normally with 6 divers and a comfortable 18 - 20 knot cruising speed.

You might want to have a chat to Dave who has just been through the coding with a Pacific 24. It might even be for sale.

http://www.discoveryribcharter.com/

Also do a search on Ribnet forums "coding" for the list of kit you will need and buy a copy of the Yellow code.

Regards

Pete
Old 30 May 2003, 06:31   #3

Have a chat with Fill Smith on here, he has a 200 hp jet Pacific for sale at the moment.

Pete
Old 30 May 2003, 08:47   #4

Town: South Shields
Make: diesel rib wanted
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel
Hi Pete, Thanks for the info. I really fancy the pacific although the rib i get has to be diesel as i worked with twin outboard ribs for years and all i can say is i'm glad i didn't have to pay for the fuel bill!
Bought the red code book and the yellow code book last year but i thought i'd post here and speak to people with first hand experience especially with regard to the number of divers the boat could be expected to carry.....as you said Dell Connollys p22s working with 6 divers sounds a reasonable payload.
Just as a matter of interest have you ever used any of Deltas ribs, just i've noticed an x25 for sale and i've never used one before.
Cheers Will.
Old 30 May 2003, 11:57   #5

Will, funnily enough I have been looking at the Delta as well, but its mid engined so space may be a problem. (says he who has jus put a huge console in a P22). Daves P24 has the console sat at the back of the boat on the engine box which gives loads of room at the front for divers and if i was just using mine for diving that is the way I would have gone. Six is with twin sets etc although I think it was propped down to 20 knots.

The only downside to a P22 is divers won't be able to climb over the tubes to get back in as they are bigger than normal and out of the water at rest. Not a desparate problem as they normally climb over the transom instead and the stern drive makes a good step. However I agree a Pacific with a TD is the way to go and at sensible money.

You could probably get Fills for a good price if your after a Pacific.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/ad/F10783
Pete