Just bought an Humber Ocean Pro 8,0m RIB w/Volvo D3-160 Inboard Volvo Diesel Engine. It has been rigged for primary scuba diving but also able to use for leisure. Big deckspace and 6 seatings inside.
Because of the low fuel consumption of our Volvo Disel and the low dieselprices and that we are using this boat up to 500hours a year we found this to be a good solution. The economy is non-comparable to a gasoline engine. This is not a speed boat, but a boat giving us OK cruising speeds from 23-29knots depending on load. Perfect for scuba diving not to impress the binkini-babes.
Just a quick calculation:
Diesel price: 4
Yearly Hours: 500
Total cost: 4x20x50=40.000 NOK (Aprox US$5700)
Gasoline price: 10
Totalcost:10x35x500=175.000 NOK (Aprox US$ 25.000)
- In Norway 3 year old outboard is worth next to nothing compared to a used diesel.
- A diesel engine is normally more reliable
- You do not get the same top speed with a diesel
- You get more torque with the diesel
- In our craft we gain speed with most load rear. It drops 2-3 knots with 200 kilos in front compared to the same weight rear.
For us there actually were no alternatives. A difference @ $20.000 a year + less service expences, better secondhand price, more reliable gave it all. And the best thing - the boat looks nice !!!!!!