Old 20 August 2012, 20:13   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Wow this aint good

Saw this on twitter " Isle of Wight people: Please RT I had a 4HP Mariner outboard stolen this weekend. Serial No: OP225718 Twitter / hectorthedog: Isle of Wight people: Please ... "

Also looked at Stolen boats.org and saw these
Suzuki 2.5 HP 14 Aug 2012 Southampton
Mariner 4 HP 14 Aug 2012 Marchwood, Ham...
Suzuki 8 HP 13 Aug 2012 River Itchen, ...
Suzuki 6 HP 10 Aug 2012 Itchen marine
Suzuki HP 10 Aug 2012 Southampton
Yamaha 15 HP 09 Aug 2012 River Itchen, ...

All recent in our area, also there was a tweet recently about boats mid channel on The Hamble from Marine police
11- 18th Aug #Stolen Tetra 2.7m dinghy from #Hamble River. marked T/T NIRVANA & 2DRN7 Please contact Police on 101 if this dinghy is seen.
13th Aug Early reports of three boats being broken into on the River Hamble mid river moorings overnight. Please report suspicious behaviour on 101

Looks a bit busy on Solent water
Old 21 August 2012, 05:58   #2

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
Certainly is and a friend of mine had his dinghy stolen off his boat on the pontoon at Eastlands Boatyard in broad daylight a few weeks ago. Someone on the boat next door spotted the 3 younger men and queried them - they said it was their dad's boat and went off with it. Brazen doesn't do it justice!
Old 21 August 2012, 07:00   #3

Length: 7m +
If you browse through the stolen boats website going back years you will find the Hamble river seems to be a prime area for thefts. Many marina's/boatyards in that area get hit many times. It's more likely to have a boat stolen on a trailer in that area but engines and other equipement are all going missing as well from boats on moorings and on pontoons.

Im surprised the insurance isnt a lot more for boats in that area.

There seems to be a problem in that area, yes its a big boating area but other big boating area's like Poole or Lymington dont seem to suffer as many thefts.

I don't think the marinas in that area are doing enouth in my humble opinion. Perhaps the police should do some checks on security in those marinas and give them some advice.

Last year I turned up at my marina (Cobbs Quay) at about 5.40am so I could leave early and go and see from hurst castle the round the island race and could not get into the marina at first as the gates were firmly locked. Called the office and was then let in after I had been asked a number of good questions as to who I was, Boat Name and description and why I was there, with that and the active CCTV and a member of staff on duty I did feel like security was taken seriously. After all we pay a lot of money for our boating pleasure so security should be addressed.

I think the safest way to store a Rib is in a dry stack with a decent track record of security in a marina away from the Hamble.

Maybe if your boat is on a pontoon or mooring getting to know your neighbours would be a good idea so you can watch out for each other. Perhaps a neighborhood watch scheme by pontoon number of mooring location.
Old 21 August 2012, 08:08   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Maybe if your boat is on a pontoon or mooring getting to know your neighbours would be a good idea so you can watch out for each other. Perhaps a neighborhood watch scheme by pontoon number of mooring location.
100% agree with that . I got back to my mid river mooring a few years ago about 1am after a run out to the IOW to notice the boat in front had 'gone' . I had all the phone numbers for the boats around me so called the owner ....turns out he had sold it that day , but he still appreciated the call (maybe not the time of day ! )

The small stuff seems far easier to get away with and move on from what I can see of whats getting nicked.