Old 13 April 2005, 02:18   #21

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
My daughter Karen tells me that the siting and construction of windfarms is harmful the ecology of the moors where they are often located.

Keith Hart

(

)

opps my brackets were blown awa y

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2005, 03:51   #22

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Me too , used to drive past the ones north of Shap on the M6 huge great majestic pieces of engineering. But how much energy does it take to make one compared to what we get back ?

Pete
I think one of the issues is the concrete used for the base, environmentally, concrete when produce is very polluting and this tends to be forgotten by those in favour of wind farms. Having said that I like wind farms and look at them as a necessary evil and I would far rather have a wind farm than an oil powered power station belching out smoke Incidentally did you know that Fawley Refinery is one of the dirtiest in Europe and has the highest density of population within a ten mile radius of any of them Lets hope they know what they are doing Des.

Old 13 April 2005, 04:25   #23

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
... Incidentally did you know that Fawley Refinery is one of the dirtiest in Europe and has the highest density of population within a ten mile radius of any of them Lets hope they know what they are doing Des.
Who gave you this information? I'm sure the good people of Liverpool, Runcorn, Warrington, Chester, Birkenhead and Widnes will sleep safer in the knowledge that they are considered "less dense" than those of the Southampton locality. and thatís just the refineries in the UK.. Mind you if Hull and Grimsby got taken out...who would care?

Did your source tell you on what basis Fawley was dirty? Catalyst emissions, water pollutants, gas escape? Did they say how much Exxon were investing in new equipment to further exceed their environmental targets?

Also, do you know when the refinery was built? How many of the peolpe living in your 10 mile radius have moved in since that time and how many prior to that time? Perhaps you should re-phrase to : "do you know how many people chose to live within 10 miles of a large oil refinery?"

Speaking as someone who has visited pretty much all refineries in Europe and a huge number in the rest of the world, I am fascinated to know your source of information...

You may also want to read this thread before making accusations on a public forum.. Food for thought?

...and before anyone asks... yes, I am feeling grumpy this morning...
Old 13 April 2005, 04:38   #24

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hart
My daughter Karen tells me that the siting and construction of windfarms is harmful the ecology of the moors where they are often located. Keith Hart ( ) opps my brackets were blown awa y
Yes but who would want to live in the wilds of Scotland if there is enough wind to blow your brackets away then I would keep very very quiet, less someone suggests an environmently friendly wind farm in your back garden. Us southerners need lots more elecy to pump water round the garden and fish ponds

Pete
Old 13 April 2005, 04:40   #25

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
I can answer this one. Probably about the same number of people that moved to Heathrow and then started complaining about the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Also, do you know when the refinery was built? How many of the peolpe living in your 10 mile radius were have moved in since that time and how many prior to that time? Perhaps you should re-phrase to : "do you know how many people chose to live within 10 miles of a large oil refinery?"
Old 13 April 2005, 06:27   #26

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Who gave you this information?
It came from there own figures.

Quote:
Did your source tell you on what basis Fawley was dirty? Catalyst emissions, water pollutants, gas escape? Did they say how much Exxon were investing in new equipment to further exceed their environmental targets?
Just checking on this.

Quote:
Also, do you know when the refinery was built? How many of the people living in your 10 mile radius have moved in since that time and how many prior to that time? Perhaps you should re-phrase to : "do you know how many people chose to live within 10 miles of a large oil refinery?"
This is not a nimby comment, what I was trying to do was comparing the potential impacts of currently acceptable forms of energy Vs wind farms. As I said I see a lot of this as a necessary evil, I like diesel and electricity and I accept that it has to come from somewhere.
And as for you being grumpy this morning I couldnít tell the difference, they say hormone replacement therapy is good
Des
Old 13 April 2005, 07:06   #27

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
You tell him Des, he's probably a bit techy cos he made the chimneys or something. It has to be said refineries are incredible / awesome pieces of design and engineering
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2005, 07:13   #28

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Bum licker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
It has to be said refineries are incredible / awesome pieces of design and engineering
Old 13 April 2005, 08:04   #29

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Bottom line in the future - we have no choice

We must find methods of generating energy that protects our plant.

I donagree they dont look very nice, however neither will factory 5000 suncream, if we dont change
Old 13 April 2005, 08:24   #30

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
It came from there own figures.

Mmmm...... could you tell me where these figures are published? Just checked their press releases Etc and can't find 'em as quoted...