Old 18 February 2013, 15:00   #31

Town: Todmorden
Boat name: Twentyfourseven
Make: Zodiac 550 pro open
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
MMSI: 235095113
[QUOTE=kerny;517432]I'm looking at replacing my boiler and it's a mine field out there, is there anyone on here in the know and can advise which is decent and which is crap.

My existing boiler is a Vokera and has lasted for 16 years but is not very energy efficient anymore plus it's not a condensing one.

Thanks K.

We like Vailant. Just make sure you clean the system out . They don't get on with dirty water. Stay away from Ideal, bad heat exchangers. Most cheap boilers get you back when you want a part. Buy the best you can afford, Vailant.
Ian

Old 18 February 2013, 16:21   #32

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
I had the same choice to make a few years back. Lots of research later I came to the conclusion that if you want a reliable boiler go for a simple, non condensing boiler. Saying that I opted for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 cdi. Apart from a replacement pump (under warranty) after 1 year, it's been fine (4 years old). I have the Worcester service plan which is good, engineers are from Worcester Bosch, not contractors like others, so the guys know the boilers and have the parts to hand. The outside condensate pipe froze the first 2 winters (-15 outside) but that was partly due to the cowboys that fitted the system, pipe was too narrow. I've replaced this and it's been fine since.

Old 18 February 2013, 16:34   #33

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
two trade votes for Vaillant then !, good point about dirt we flush and fit a fernox TF1 filter on the return under the boiler to catch any muck before it gets to the boiler.

The power of worcesters advertizing to householders works by the look of things. they are selling new boilers on their previous good name.

The old ideal combis were pants but the new one (logic) is much improved , early days yet so the jury is still out.

Biassi and the other cheap imports : wait till it goes wrong and the parts are no longer availible, not such a cheap boiler then.

The best/most reliable domestic gas boiler ever made was the old ideal mexico, new ones are pants so just goes to prove just because something was once good it is not a given that the replacment model is too.

un-serviced gas appliances KILL YOU so not a clever move ignoring them for years.

anyway I am here for boats not work talk.
Old 19 February 2013, 07:05   #34

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Well after reading through all the replies I think that I am down to two of all the models put forward.

Valiant looks a very good choice because 2 members on here, camelgas and gasman who are independent heating engineers so they must know what they are talking about.

Then there is .....

Poly's (Logic plus)... because the 7 yr warranty is very appealing to me , and also, for the company to give an extra 2 years more than any of others, means that they are very confident on the quality of there product to offer this.

I know that the majority of you said get a Worcester / Bosch as they have or had a good name, because that was the one I was thinking of getting myself before getting some advice of RIBnet but maybe most of you had had them fitted a few years back when they were good so I think that it would more prudent of me to take both of these heating engineers advice in not getting a new Worcester at this moment and time, unless that is.... some more heating engineers come on here backing Worcester up.
Old 19 February 2013, 08:48   #35

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Curveball:

my old Ideal Elan (last 3 repairs were with reconditioned parts coz the guy couldn't find replacements) was replaced a couple of months agio with a W-B (whatever jumble of letters the model number is) condensing Combi. 7 year warranty.

Having kept half an eye on the gas usage, it has dropped, the hosue is perceptively warmer, and I'm not going to need to replace the barge boards of the hosue near the flue with monotonous regularity any more because the condensation was happening out there instead of in the boiler!

I'll try to remember to post back in 7 years & let you all know how it went.
Old 19 February 2013, 15:09   #36

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

I'll try to remember to post back in 7 years & let you all know how it went.
Please do but at least you have got 7 years worry free heating
Old 19 February 2013, 15:50   #37

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Heres a good one for you Herman plus its German so the instructions should not be a problem for you

Viessmann boilers -the best gas condensing boilers : PK Plumbing and Heating
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 16:01   #38

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Heres a good one for you Herman plus its German so the instructions should not be a problem for you

Viessmann boilers -the best gas condensing boilers : PK Plumbing and Heating
he's gonna deck you one day