Old 28 August 2011, 20:55   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
This is Summer? Discuss

Another busy day on the water, in spite of the weather. However, I have only been out on one day in just a polo and shorts, vastly down on last year, which we did not think was that impressive.
Speaking to other operators in the area who have been in the business for 10's of years, their opinion is that this is one of the worst seasons in the last 15 years. In which case we have done very well with business up over 25%.
The number of leisure boaters out on any particular day is vastly down, with the odd exception and wonder if the is a sign of the costs going up, a shortage in leisure funds or the weather?

How have other faired??
Old 28 August 2011, 21:21   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
It's been absolutely rotten here - worse summer in years. Cold, windy, wet, overcast. I'm delighted that I sold my RIB before the season, 'cos I'd have had sod all use out of it!
Old 28 August 2011, 21:25   #3

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
I'd put the leisure boater reduction down to the available funds not going as far due to higher costs, and the appalling weather.

I certainly try to pick better days for going out, because I hate getting soaked and feeling a day was rained off when it now costs 40-50% more for fuel that it used to, especially with a drive down from London in my gas guzzler.

The flip side is you miss some crackers, and think wish I was down there now...

Good for you that business is up 25% though, maybe also a sign of the times with the bad euro and lots of people staying in UK for their hols
Old 28 August 2011, 22:39   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
It feels to me like this summer has been much better than the last few purely from a weather perspective, its a pity school holidays no longer seem to coincide with the real summer weather...

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2011, 07:05   #5

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I wrote a really long reply to this and my internet connection died as I hit Submit.

Anyway, in short... We are seeing some signs of a healthy boating economy, used boats are moving very well and there has been a shift towards value rather than budget electronics and accessories. Lots of new people to the activity and of those many are spending "extra" money on training.

Our mail order is back up to 2007 levels with customers seemingly taking the opportunity of the poor weather to get some fixing and upgrades done.

The main factor from where I sit has been the unsettled weather.
Old 29 August 2011, 08:13   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
We’ve used our RIB even less than last year, and I thought last year was bad, the weather and the cost of fuel being the reason.

As others have said already, making the decision to put the boat in the water and burn fuel is a bigger and bigger commitment for the ordinary family with so many other costs rising, and as such you want to make sure you’re going to make the most of it with a nice day. We’ve missed a couple of good days through too much procrastination, but sitting here now I really don’t feel as if we’ve had a summer.

We were very lucky, in that the two weeks we spent in Devon were glorious, but it was pure luck, especially when you consider we booked the campsite when we left last year.

The Southampton boat show is a sort of unofficial turning point for us and it seems to have come round quicker than ever this year.

I’m making sure the boat is up to scratch for out of season boating already, as a crisp autumn or winter day on the Solent is great, but wrapping up in drysuits and visiting the pub for lunch is a completely different day out to mucking about at the beach swimming etc.

Nasher
Old 29 August 2011, 08:23   #7

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
We’ve used our RIB even less than last year, and I thought last year was bad, the weather and the cost of fuel being the reason.
The rising cost of fuel is a big topic, it seems to me that everything is getting more expensive though - not just boating. And I cant see how it is a blip.

(Despite not currently having a boat) I had a look at a 10 day trip up to Scotland via the Isles of Scilly, Anglesey, IoM and Ireland. 700 miles is a lot of juice.
Old 29 August 2011, 08:34   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I think if it was just the cost of fuel many would still make the effort to justify it and enjoy a day out anyway, but coupled to the state of the weather it's harder.

For us summer boating is all about finding a nice beach, swimming, having a BBQ etc. Those who cruise or do longer distances may not have been affected so much.

Nasher.
Old 29 August 2011, 08:42   #9

It didn't feel like summer yesterday, spent 45mins anchored in swan age bay waiting for then rain to stop enough so I could run back to pool, heavy rain in a squall hurts the face. Got very very wet, how i wished I had a cabin. Fuel costs definitely hurting.

Spring weather is much better than summer these days, April and may are the best. Even in winter you can get some nicer days than in the summer.
Old 29 August 2011, 09:41   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Down here on the south coast it has been a reasonable summer weather wise - things have definitely changed in the last few decades though - June now seems reliably the best month, July changable and by August it's kaput. Easter, June and September seem the best times.

Having said that the limiting factor for me like so many other people is time - if only there was less work and other demands then I'd be out so much more.

Costs don't come into it when you run a £1500 SIB/Tohatsu that burns a couple of 10l tank fulls a season!
Old 29 August 2011, 17:26   #11

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Its not been the best summer by any means down in Kent and having been off the last two days, havent been able to go out due to high winds.

I think it was about April / May time we had 3 to 4 weeks of brilliant sunshine daily and it was hot, very hot. We were out ribbing in shorts and T-shirts and were still warm. However since then whenever we have been out its been either a jacket or jumper weather as the heat has just not been there.

Most of the boating days this year have been cloudy and cold. To the point the other day we both wore dry suits and didnt get that hot.

I'm hoping September will be good, but i do tend to use my boat right up until it gets stupidly cold around December time, then put it to bed for 3 or 4 months.

In terms of fuel, then i think this will have had an impact and i see many boaters simply launching their craft, shooting out for ten minutes then sit on the beach. Seems a little stupid to me, but each to their own.

For me although i have noticed its cost more in fuel i did also change to a larger rib and engine so i kind of expected my costs to increase. I certainly wouldnt go above my 40 now due to the running costs, although i'd love the extra ooommpphhh.

Fingers crossed for September.