Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 May 2008, 12:48   #1
DM
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,067
The dog of war.....

If anyone sees this vessel about, can you let us know.

Greenwood seems to have mislaid it.

Here's his story.

Rumble in the jungle
Attached Images
 
__________________
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 13:19   #2
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Blimey! Glad that Ian is home safe, albeit with some horrible nightmare images to try and get out of his head. I've just been reading about the Congo and I'm at a loss to know how nations such as these can get themselves out of this pit of greed, corruption and violence. Thank goodness I was lucky enough to be born elsewhere.
__________________

__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 13:22   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Ian is a numpty ! He'd only gotta ask....no-one "in the trade" will touch that place with a shitty stick... no matter what they offer as an incentive Glad to see he made it out in one piece.
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 13:49   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: no boat
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Ian is a numpty ! He'd only gotta ask....no-one "in the trade" will touch that place with a shitty stick... no matter what they offer as an incentive Glad to see he made it out in one piece.
and he plans to go back soon.....

If he's ever out of work, a 2nd career beckons as an author I reckon
__________________
Rich L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 16:24   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Blimey! Glad that Ian is home safe, albeit with some horrible nightmare images to try and get out of his head. I've just been reading about the Congo and I'm at a loss to know how nations such as these can get themselves out of this pit of greed, corruption and violence. Thank goodness I was lucky enough to be born elsewhere.
What a coincidence this story is as I mentioned the state the Congo was in a few days ago in the fuel thread!!!

A brilliant story but NOTHING suprising at all - that's what Africa is like. Apart from a brief period of relative peace when the colonial powers were in charge Africa has always been and always will be a very violent place.

It's such a shame as some Africans are such lovely people and they have some stunning countryside. One exception to the rule is The Gambia - I have several friends there and it's a very peacefull country. Guinea is quite the opposite - it's a shame as they have a chain of islands that could be the next Caribbean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bissagos_Islands

Have a look at them on Google Earth - awesome but now a haven for drug runners.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 17:22   #6
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What a coincidence this story is as I mentioned the state the Congo was in a few days ago in the fuel thread!!!
It is a coincidence. The book I have just finished is called 'Blood River' and was written by a journalist (Tim Butcher) who used to be The Telegraph's Africa correspondent. He decided to retrace Stanley's footsteps along the River Congo, journeying from Kalemie to Boma. I would highly recommend it - a hugely interesting account which provides a potted history of the country as well as telling of the writer's own experiences there in the 21st century.
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 19:00   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
A brilliant story but NOTHING suprising at all - that's what Africa is like. Apart from a brief period of relative peace when the colonial powers were in charge Africa has always been and always will be a very violent place.
Ah yes the good ol' days of proper colonialism. None of this pansy arse democracy to the middle east business. Subjugate those savages. Making them productive working their own lands for almost nothing. Export all the riches to proper white countries. Those were heady days.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 19:13   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
It is a coincidence. The book I have just finished is called 'Blood River' and was written by a journalist (Tim Butcher) who used to be The Telegraph's Africa correspondent. He decided to retrace Stanley's footsteps along the River Congo, journeying from Kalemie to Boma. I would highly recommend it - a hugely interesting account which provides a potted history of the country as well as telling of the writer's own experiences there in the 21st century.
Yes I read that as well - a great book. All the more interesting to me because I have been to quite a few of the places mentioned.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 19:19   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Ah yes the good ol' days of proper colonialism. None of this pansy arse democracy to the middle east business. Subjugate those savages. Making them productive working their own lands for almost nothing. Export all the riches to proper white countries. Those were heady days.
It wasn't all like that. Some colonial powers were a lot worse than others. Also land was usually bought rather than snatched.

As to making them work and all the riches going abroad you obviously haven't seen the infrastructure they were left with. I am quite sure people in Zimbabwe for example would have much preffered the old regime to Robert Mugabwe..............

Imagine the fuss if we in the West started taking houses off Africans who had settled here and bought their own homes!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2008, 07:20   #10
Member
 
Simon B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,621
Google-ise the Belgian Congo in the 20's, you wouldnt of thought good ol peaceful Belgium would do that. Bit difficult to be productive when you now have just one hand. Dont also think that we're not corrupt here.

Just a shame for Zimbabwe it's got no oil, we'd have seen much more international interest.

JK will be along soon to direct me to WTF before I reach a true Brain Blessed state of incandescence - excellent performance on "Have I got News for You"
__________________

__________________
New boat is here, very happy!
Simon
www.luec.org
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.