Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 February 2006, 07:52   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Ship sunk in the red sea

Just heard on the news that a ship carrying 1300 people and 92 crew "disapeared" in the red sea. When it was late coming into port a helicopter was dispatched, to find a large number of boddies floating in the sea about 40 miles out. The Navy is now on the way to the scene. The latest reports say that no distress message was sent by the ship; it seems to just have "sunk".

No-one on the news has speculated on what it could have been but it sounds like terriorrists to me. Ships don't just sink with no warning. If if has hit something then they would have had time to get into life-boats and send a mayday surly. Very weird.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4676916.stm
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 09:08   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 268
Send a message via MSN to stedj
we have just returned from hear i hope there are many surviers when we were there we go a good idea of the ill feelings between egypt and israel
__________________

__________________
stedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 09:28   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Just heard on the news that a ship carrying 1300 people and 92 crew "disapeared" in the red sea. When it was late coming into port a helicopter was dispatched, to find a large number of boddies floating in the sea about 40 miles out. The Navy is now on the way to the scene. The latest reports say that no distress message was sent by the ship; it seems to just have "sunk".

No-one on the news has speculated on what it could have been but it sounds like terriorrists to me. Ships don't just sink with no warning. If if has hit something then they would have had time to get into life-boats and send a mayday surly. Very weird.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4676916.stm
Ships can and do sink without trace - they can also go down VERY quickly - like the Herald did.

IF it was terrorists I doubt it would have been Arabs as they were all Muslims going to Saudi - could have been Israeli extremists I suppose???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 10:38   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Ships can and do sink without trace
Why?
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 11:33   #5
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 707
2 possibilities for starters......

300 year waves ( rogue waves ) and colossal releases of gases from seabed ( eg methane ) so vessels no longer displace their own weight of seawater therefore sink......
__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 12:20   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck
300 year waves ( rogue waves ) and colossal releases of gases from seabed ( eg methane ) so vessels no longer displace their own weight of seawater therefore sink......

Even simpler causes - like sudden shifting of cargo or bow doors not being shut properly can cause capsize.

Quote from sinking of the Herald of Free Enterpise:

"The ship had capsized so quickly the crew were unable to send out an SOS. Given that the design and buoyancy of most modern ships is such that, in the event of an imminent capsize or other emergency, there should be sufficient time to deploy lifesaving equipment and fully evacuate, the accident had serious implications."
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 17:15   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Just seen that ship on the news - no wonder she toppled over - never a good idea to build a block of flats on top of a ship!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 17:18   #8
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
one thing that i find very strange is the amount of boat actually out of the water and how on earth they remain stable. some look so high and top heavy, hope there are going to be lots of folks saved.. tragic
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2006, 17:34   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
one thing that i find very strange is the amount of boat actually out of the water and how on earth they remain stable. some look so high and top heavy, hope there are going to be lots of folks saved.. tragic
If you see photos of the ship as she was originally built she looked quite different - they just bunged another 2 stories on top!!! Now in the Red Sea you can usually get away with it - wouldn't have lasted a week in British waters - but this time the weather caught up with them.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.