Old 23 May 2007, 16:05   #21

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Sixy,

Sorry to hear your having problems for not actually breaking the law. Your problem is that you were diligent enough to register your bike in the first place. Once you've been honest enough to do that they've got you and as you've found your an easy target.
I have just completed a six month campaign to have a local chav put off the road. It was very hard work to get it done because I believe he bought his car and didn't fill out the V5 to tell DVLA. After he had it a year, which was last September I noticed the tax disk wasn't renewed. So I reported him to DVLA. Come October he was still driving around so I reported him again. Still no action and then the expired Tax Disk disapeared out of the window of his car. Further attempts to report him in January, February and March along with the owners address didn't seem to do much. I then told a friend who reported him and at long last the car is parked up off the road and not used anymore. It took a lot of work and just goes to show you the best thing is not to register your vehicle.
I had previously reported the guy two years ago for the same offence and because the car was registered to him the fine was instant and the car went straight off the road.

My next little target is some bloke who lives in the country and and works on old cars. He has six parked on the verge opposite his property in various states of disrepair. None are taxed and are basically write offs. But even though knackered they are still a motor vehicle and should be taxed. Would like to see his face when he gets the bill.

If anybody remembers my recent rant about avoiding paying car tax they might wonder why I am doing this. In my rant I never advocated breaking the law which is what these people have been doing. I just wanted to use the law to my advantage.
Old 23 May 2007, 16:38   #22

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixy_the_red View Post
I'm actually at the point now where I think I will pay the fine. In pennies.
Sixy you can't, believe it or not its not legal tender! you can only pay up to 20p in copper.
Years ago my wife was paying a bus fare of 23p in 1p coins when she got to 20 the bus driver stopped her and refused to take any more, when she offered a fiver she was told he didn't have change so she had to walk!
It made our local rags and then the daily mirror who did a feature on what is and isn't legal tender, our boys still laugh about their mum being thrown off a bus!
Old 23 May 2007, 16:59   #23

Sixy,

I believe an old scam was to pay by cheque but pay 1p more than you need to. It probably won't work now but at least you've got the cost of the postage deducted from DVLA's take when they send you the return cheque for 1p. Might make you feel a little better.
Old 23 May 2007, 18:36   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Sixy,

Sorry to hear your having problems for not actually breaking the law...
Eh how do you work that out? Failing to Sorn or resorn a vehicle is illegal even if it seems bloody stupid.
Old 23 May 2007, 18:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Eh how do you work that out? Failing to Sorn or resorn a vehicle is illegal even if it seems bloody stupid.
Sometimes the Law is an Ass. What more can I say.
Old 23 May 2007, 20:10   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

My next little target is some bloke who lives in the country and and works on old cars. He has six parked on the verge opposite his property in various states of disrepair. None are taxed and are basically write offs. But even though knackered they are still a motor vehicle and should be taxed. Would like to see his face when he gets the bill.
Is he actually hurting you or anyone else?

Did you know some people actually OWN their verge???
Old 23 May 2007, 20:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Is he actually hurting you or anyone else?

Did you know some people actually OWN their verge???
He is an eyesore. Its on my cycle route and out in a nice bit of country. I'm suprised the few houses that are around haven't complained. Bits of cars on trailers, crappy caravans, knackered cars all at the side of the road.
The verge is on the other side of the road to his house. And if he owns it then he's got nothing to worry about.
He is probably hurting the environment with oil leaks and such like.
Its on a small lane well off the beaten track but its still a public road. Thing is he has a large area right in front of his house that would accomodate all these bits of scrap. Guess he doesn't like looking at them. Or his missus gives him an earful.

Basically its a bit of a "Blott on the Landscape".
Old 23 May 2007, 21:21   #28

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
What is wrong with getting a warrant through teh courts. If its goo enough for the Police then its good enough for those Bastards.

Excuse language but its apt.

Imagine here las when the NIB (AK Bank Of australia) had some Farmers evicted from Donegal or failure to meet repayments.

Rightly or Wrongly on the aboe I will not comment, however with children in the house etc, the bastards came in wearing Balaclavas.

Please remember that up north at that time you were never sure what was under a Balaclava but a coward and maybe a bad one at that. However these people where going in on behalf of teh courts.

Now my point is either they have a legal right or not, but recently a High Court Judge here said that any [erson entering his house with a balaclava, he would "blow away" Well then rightly or wrongly (I believe rightly in this instance) but do you think that Judge would have to face his own law if he did so.

If teh police cannot enforce the lay then how good are such laws.

Old 24 May 2007, 07:08   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

The sad thing is, its a specific offence...
Old 28 May 2007, 07:48   #30

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
jeez you guys, I'm glad I live in Ireland. We don't have these buggers over here .... not yet at least.

My only experience with this 'world' was when I rented a car over there last year. Managed to pick up a speeding fine (which I paid) but was sent a whole pile of letters from the Car Hire firms 'legal department' looking for payment on admin fees for passing my details onto the met with regard to my speeding fine. Naturally I told them to feck off, but they persisted and passed it on to some shower who threatened all kinds of things. The latest is that having paid (on first notice) the speeding fine (think it was 20 or 30 quid) the fees for ADMIN with the rental firm were now close to 200 quid. I not-so-politely reminded them that I was in Ireland and that it was highly unlikely that I would be extradited for such a 'crime' yet they still send out those feckin letters.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:08   #31
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
That's appalling.

By the way, even if you are in the UK they can't touch you unless they have taken it to court in the 1st place (and won).

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote