Old 13 June 2003, 22:09   #1

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
New African Scam

Had an e mail the other day, from some fella in west Africa, It was definitely form generated and it said somthing along the lines of I really want to but your Avon, where do I send the cashiers cheque to.

What happens is a cheque arrives which includes the shipping costs, you take cheque to bank, after three days the British banking system tells you it has cleared, you ship boat to Africa, a month later the cheques come back from Africa as a duffer. Aparently it takes that long.

Net result bank takes money back and boat is in Africa and you havepaid to send it there ...Nasty.

It would appear that the scammers have moved on from simple honest theft of the dead uncles oil millions
Old 14 June 2003, 10:09   #2

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Stuart this is going back years and years. A compnay I worked for lost USD 200.000 with a scam some set up to them in Nigeria.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2003, 13:32   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Beware - the similar thing can even happen with UK bank drafts/building society cheques. You should only accept them during bank working hours, and 'phone the issuing branch to check on it's validity.
Old 14 June 2003, 22:38   #4

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Boatsandoutboards.com sent out a warning about this, apparently someone tried to pull the same stunt with a couple of RIBs on there, luckily the guy figured it out in time to stop it going through.
Old 22 June 2006, 19:00   #5

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
NOT a new scam ...

This thread goes back to 2003, but the scammers are alive and well. Just had the following in response to an advert for my Avon: -

===
My Clients have just told me he can only issue payment via a secure certified check and the payment would get to you in few days so far you are ready to sell to him and mind you that i requested for interests bcs i am in pocession of the shippment and freight okay,and you dont need to bother your self about the shippment , i have a Personal Freight Company that will take care of the shippment as soon as Check cleares.

All you have to do is to let me know as soon as the check cleared so i can immediately arrange for the pick up of the Boat and i will let you know how to wire me the excess Funds as i have told you i have already Requested for interest and Shipping Cost.

Pls i am waiting for the replies and Name,Address to be on the Payment okay.

Thanks so much .
Awaits your fast repsonse.
===

Not sure why anyone would get taken in by this !!!

Andy