Old 10 June 2012, 18:11   #1

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Marine Mortgages

Anyone got 1st hand experience of any marine mortgage providers?

A lot of the better known lenders don't seem to be doing these anymore.

Barclays and RBS have both stopped, Lombard who seem to be the main one these days won't lend on a boat over 30 years old (I'm looking at a 34 year old).

There are others but most get ruled out because they only do boats on inland waterways or they don't go less than £50k etc etc.

Any suggestions??
Old 10 June 2012, 19:35   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
I'm guessing it's probably cheaper and easier to remortgage your house than get an unsecuredish, small bank loan these days. Might be worth emailing a couple of boat brokers though as they will be well aware of who's in the market to lend
Old 10 June 2012, 19:39   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
We had a mortgage a few years ago pre crash with barclays and i was amazed how easy it was then. few questions, few bits of paper and job done. I dare say its much harder now!!

Other than Lombard, there seems to be one which is owned or associated with the big french yacht builders and there is another who's name escapes me at the moment but i know when we looked a year or so ago, it was just too much like hard work so we found another way.
Old 10 June 2012, 20:13   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I think I did spot one which was linked to Beneteau et al.

I haven't got property I can borrow against, a personal loan is an option but apart from the rates tending to be higher, my recent financial history (off on the sick for nearly 3 months) would probably mean I won't get approval.

Seems a bit short sighted that Lombard won't lend 30k with a 60k boat as security, even with a survey or valuation. She's built to Lloyds classification, ain't no Humber this one

Dont suppose anyone on here's got a spare 30 grand they want to invest? I'm a fairly safe bet!
Old 10 June 2012, 20:53   #5

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Hi, I had our bank manager & the regional finance manager in my office the other day. We touched on the subject of marine mortgages. These have more or less all stopped. With the exception of finance on far larger vessels (ships). The reason being the security. You may think lending 30k on a boat worth 60k is fairly secure, but realistically they will want to keep well covered and will seldomly recover half the initial valuation. Look at the vessel recovery costs, resale costs, damage , truth about initial valuation , depreciation etc etc. Banks will look at worse case scenario as they wont want to lose any more money than they already have ! Good luck.
Old 10 June 2012, 21:42   #6

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini
I think I did spot one which was linked to Beneteau et al.

I haven't got property I can borrow against, a personal loan is an option but apart from the rates tending to be higher, my recent financial history (off on the sick for nearly 3 months) would probably mean I won't get approval.

Seems a bit short sighted that Lombard won't lend 30k with a 60k boat as security, even with a survey or valuation. She's built to Lloyds classification, ain't no Humber this one

Dont suppose anyone on here's got a spare 30 grand they want to invest? I'm a fairly safe bet!
Rofl!
Old 10 June 2012, 22:16   #7
Dhf

Length: no boat
Get a provy loan mate, by the time they come for collection you could be chillaxing in the Caribbean, and the fuels even cheaper down there.
Old 11 June 2012, 08:22   #8

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Possibly worth a quick call to Barclays, Black Horse and Close to see if they can help.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote