Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 February 2011, 17:20   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Managing a web site

I run several websites that have had administrators for a long while, on one site I have been given the username,FTP server and password which I now want to log into. This was a site I have always had to rely on their office and as they are a long way away I end up at the back of the queue

On another site I have had another administrator who allowed me to control input through Adobe Contribute package which granted me password access to the site to change and edit it. This has worked well for many years. Recently we have both experienced problems logging in. The web hosting company state there is no problem and they can access the site as an administrator though Filezilla.

Now being an almost totally self taught techi I need some help. What does anyone suggest to manage say two web sites through one process/software which woud allow me to access,edit etc. I have downloaded filezilla and can say I am stuck presently but will call their help desk tomorrow

Any clues or suggestions to get away from administrators at two different parts of the UK and take my sites back under my control. Clearly I need it fairly straight forward.
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2011, 18:53   #2
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
If you didn't need to do anything too fancy and you had a mac, then iWeb.
It's so easy even I can do it

http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/iweb/
__________________

__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2011, 18:57   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
C2 - I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

Do you mean:

(1) How would you suggest getting access to the "backend" of your existing websites?
(2) If you were starting afresh how would you suggest setting up access to the "backend" of the websites?
(3) Do you need access to the backend anyway on a regular basis? e.g. if a suitable content management system is installed - and if so which?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 01:54   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
C2 - I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

Do you mean:

(1) How would you suggest getting access to the "backend" of your existing websites?
(2) If you were starting afresh how would you suggest setting up access to the "backend" of the websites?
(3) Do you need access to the backend anyway on a regular basis? e.g. if a suitable content management system is installed - and if so which?
This is where my knowledge is limited.

I can see my websites on line at any time as can others. But take for example the events pages, they change regularly and I need to be able to access the web pages to alter, add, edit words, text, links to other sites and photos. Before I have done this through logging into the website through Adobe Contribute 4 but that is what is playing up . So I need another way to log in and manage sites. If I achieve this I have a new site I want to add to this process to do the same, hope that makes sense
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 04:06   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
This is where my knowledge is limited.

I can see my websites on line at any time as can others. But take for example the events pages, they change regularly and I need to be able to access the web pages to alter, add, edit words, text, links to other sites and photos. Before I have done this through logging into the website through Adobe Contribute 4 but that is what is playing up . So I need another way to log in and manage sites. If I achieve this I have a new site I want to add to this process to do the same, hope that makes sense
Ian I don't know Adobe Contribute but it looks like it is a Wysiwyg HTML editor together with some upload type features. There are plenty of similar things around but you might want to find out why its not working (if e.g. the type of access it uses has now been blocked on the server?).

If I was creating a new site from scratch today I wouldn't start by using a Wysiwyg HTML editor though (unless maybe its a tiny site that changes rarely or you want to prove you can etc!). Depending on what you are trying to achieve a free content management system is probably a good start. I suspect for what you want wordpress (www.wordpress.org) would be ideal. If you are feeling more "techy" then Joomla is worth a look too. However content management won't (easily) provide a way to integrate with / take over the old sites...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 05:05   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Getting your web designers to implement a good, open source, content management package is a good idea.

I use CMS Made Simple (http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/) for quite a few sites, and have just been trying Wordpress for my personal site (http://www.james-davies.co.uk).

The only thing with both of those is that they do need installing on the server and your site needs to be put into a template so it works with them - that's something that for simple sites is relatively straightforward for most geeks :-)

Jimbo
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 06:57   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
The only thing with both of those is that they do need installing on the server and your site needs to be put into a template so it works with them - that's something that for simple sites is relatively straightforward for most geeks :-)
Even non-geeks are fine though as you can get wordpress preinstalled on 'your' server (for a cost). e.g. - this is the first google hit and not a recommendation. http://www.maiahost.com/cms/WordPress_Hosting.html
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 06:59   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Even non-geeks are fine though as you can get wordpress preinstalled on 'your' server (for a cost). e.g. - this is the first google hit and not a recommendation. http://www.maiahost.com/cms/WordPress_Hosting.html
Yes - I think the bit that requires a geek (albeit a relatively beginner geek!) is taking an existing website that is simply html and css files and splitting it into a template then integrating that with a CMS.
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 14:45   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Yes - I think the bit that requires a geek (albeit a relatively beginner geek!) is taking an existing website that is simply html and css files and splitting it into a template then integrating that with a CMS.
Cheers for inputs. My website is held on servers from easily.co.uk who tell me there is no problem but clearly I have a few problems getting into my sites. All worked ok up to new year and then with house move and internet moves the systems have failed.

As for geeks, I cant be one as reading the sites mentioned I get lost in minutes. I am guessing I need some help so will call in some favours first before I spend too much. Jimbo, new site looks good.
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 18:42   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
All worked ok up to new year and then with house move and internet moves the systems have failed.
I'd be trying to work out what's stopping you connecting:

- can you login directly (say through ftp? - you shouldn't need to use filezilla, you could try something like ftp://www.mydomain.com in firefox (it will prompt for username and pwd))
- do you / the provider have any settings for IP screening to protect the site (i.e. was you old internet connection set up on a "permitted" list and now you are on a blocked one?)
- have you changed anything in your new setup - e.g. new firewall?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.