Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 February 2008, 00:35   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Nauti Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,447
M25 - Speed Cameras

As of the 15th February 2008 all the Speed Cameras in the Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15) are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.

They are currently the older film type cameras and Set at 90mph when the Variable Limit Signs are not in operation.

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically) when the signs are not in use i.e. national speed limit. I canít confirm the activation limit when the signs are set (variable limits showing) but believe it will be the same 10% + 2mph of the speed shown by the sign at that time.
__________________
richard@kidzrides.co.uk
Mobile: 07885 487777
Nauti Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 04:39   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
They can't stop meddling can they

I thought the normal rule was the speed limit + 10% for the car + 10% for the equipment (84mph)?
__________________

__________________
GuyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 05:16   #3
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
As of the 15th February 2008 all the Speed Cameras in the Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15) are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.
Do you have a reference for that?

I can't find any official announcement, and a search on Google only comes up with apparently unsubstantiated warnings . . .

Urban myth?

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 06:33   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Nauti Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Do you have a reference for that?

I can't find any official announcement, and a search on Google only comes up with apparently unsubstantiated warnings . . .

Urban myth?

John
No, I got it from here, so thought I'd pass it onto here too:-

http://www.pontoontalk.co.uk/forums/...=7056#post7056
__________________
richard@kidzrides.co.uk
Mobile: 07885 487777
Nauti Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 07:04   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 475
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...wtopic&t=67623

Similar post above...

Subject: M25 JCT 10-15 Digital Speed Cameras Going Live 15th Feb 08
Importance: High

All

I have just been informed by my dad who works for the Metropolitan Police Service (for those of you who didnít know) that as and from the 15th February 08 all the Speed Cameras in the Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15) are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.

They are currently the older film type cameras and Set at 90mph when the Variable Limit Signs are not in operation.

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically) when the signs are not in use i.e. national speed limit. I canít confirm the activation limit when the signs are set (variable limits showing) but belief it would be the same 10% + 2mph of the speed shown by the sign at that time.

Please pass this on to anyone you know.

I hope this saves a few of you getting points on your licence!!!

Regards,
__________________
donutsina911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 11:56   #6
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...wtopic&t=67623

Similar post above...

Subject: M25 JCT 10-15 Digital Speed Cameras Going Live 15th Feb 08
Importance: High

All

I have just been informed by my dad who works for the Metropolitan Police Service (for those of you who didnít know) that as and from the 15th February 08 all the Speed Cameras in the Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15) are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.

They are currently the older film type cameras and Set at 90mph when the Variable Limit Signs are not in operation.

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically) when the signs are not in use i.e. national speed limit. I canít confirm the activation limit when the signs are set (variable limits showing) but belief it would be the same 10% + 2mph of the speed shown by the sign at that time.

Please pass this on to anyone you know.

I hope this saves a few of you getting points on your licence!!!

Regards,
I think that only makes it more suspicious!
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2008, 15:24   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 521
AFAIK, when they re-did the section between the M3 and the M4, they didn't put the camera's back, at least there are no visible cameras.. The present ones between the M3 and A3 are set way higher than 90, this is based on the fact I have been through them slightly above that speed and not set them off.. I also haven't seen anyone set them off in the last few years.. (Having been overtaken when travelling at slightly above 90.. )

Personally, I am in favour of the average speed check camera's, its amusing to watch people speed between them, braking for the last set of cameras, without realising it's slightly too late to slow down by then..
__________________
tony
tcwozere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2008, 04:46   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ramsgate/Plymouth
Make: Ribcraft/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzuki/Yam 250x2
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
someone told me on average speed cameras if you change lane the system cant work out your speed - not sure if this is a myth or not!????
__________________
One life so live it........
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2008, 07:56   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane View Post
someone told me on average speed cameras if you change lane the system cant work out your speed - not sure if this is a myth or not!????
That must be true to a certain extent because firstly they can't cover all lanes and secondly by cutting a bend you travel a much shorter distance. Look how staggered the start is on some running tracks.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2008, 08:20   #10
Member
 
Country: Poland
Town: Warsaw
Make: Parker Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2.8 dsd mercruiser
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 119
myth

It's a myth!!! by changing lane you can't doge a speed camera, However i beleive that if you travel over 250km/h that is about 156mph than the camera will only take a photo of the road ;-) saw that on top gear ;-)

but who's got a car that will do that sort of speed.........
__________________

__________________
Chris
Ostroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.