Old 09 August 2010, 06:56   #11

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There is a question that I have always wanted an answer to, but have never asked of anyone who “knows” the answer. I get different replies from different people, and perhaps, this is not the place to ask it ! But here goes anyway.

Let us suppose you get an invoice from one of your regular suppliers (gas, electricity etc.) which you know absolutely to be wrong. You ring the call centre, explain, they promise to get back to you, but never do. This happens several times until you are sick with trying. Even writing to them is no use at all.
The next thing you know is a phone call/letter from a debt collection agency demanding payment. You explain again. They say pay up or else. This also happens a few times and the threats grow.

Now, my question is about the “or else” bit. Can a debt collection agency:
-enter your house? No, they cant-not without trickery.
-put you on a credit risk agency-etc. Without going to court? Without your knowing about it?
In other words, without your being notified, can they take further action? And what exactly is that action?
I had one of those letters from a debt collection agency referring to a mobile phobe bill, the phone in question I hadn't used for over a year and had cancelled the contract (or so I thought) I spoke to the agency asking them to get 'orange' to send me a full detailled statement of what I owed and why ? 5 montsh later still wiaitng for it and the agency never got back in touch so I expect 'orange' relaised their mistake, didn't bother contacting me to apologise though. Alot of letters from debt collection agencies are designed to scare you to death, very nasty, when you ask them to provide details etc they are in many cases just incorrect due to bad billing etc.

Old 09 August 2010, 09:03   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Thanks Boris.
Old 09 August 2010, 11:47   #13

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Engine: BMW 50HP
I also have had one

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I had one of those letters from a debt collection agency referring to a mobile phobe bill, the phone in question I hadn't used for over a year and had cancelled the contract (or so I thought) I spoke to the agency asking them to get 'orange' to send me a full detailled statement of what I owed and why ? 5 montsh later still wiaitng for it and the agency never got back in touch so I expect 'orange' relaised their mistake, didn't bother contacting me to apologise though. Alot of letters from debt collection agencies are designed to scare you to death, very nasty, when you ask them to provide details etc they are in many cases just incorrect due to bad billing etc.

I have also had a letter from a debt collection agency regarding a former Orange phone contract that I had.
It was in 2001 and all paid by direct debit.
I have asked for copies of the final bill and the contract.
I am still waiting.
I have proof that all was paid so no worries.
I have also had a similar letter about an Abbey National Loan that I had in 2001 (now owned by Santander of course).
I also have a letter from the bank confirming full early repayment.
They will look very silly if they take me to court when I have all the proof I need and they will not listen.
It smacks of bully boy tactics and I fear that some people will simply pay rather than stand up and fight.
Old 11 August 2010, 06:46   #14

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
booking scam

hi if you think the request is genuine then get then to bacs the money to your account .that way you have the money up front.the other way is to say we do not give refunds but trips in luie they will not reply
Old 13 August 2010, 15:38   #15
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Dear James

Thank you for choosing our hotel.

I am delighted to confirm the reservations for Mr & Mrs Po Chui Yang and Mr & Mrs Fuhua Shirong. Our room rate is £275 per room, a total of £3,300 + VAT.

Please send a non-refundable deposit of 50%.

Kind regards

Usain Bin-Done.
General Manager
Don't do that!! The way the scam works is a follows:

- You get an enquiry which sounds promising - long stays out of season etc (for some reason, several Chinese couples honeymooning together, or Greek Priests going to a convention).

- You reply with the info they ask for - telling them what deposit they need to pay etc.

- You get a reply back really quickly, saying that they'll take the booking, and to take the money from their cedit card - details attached - and whilst you are there, can you also charge the card for the car hire, and send the money directly to the car hire company's bank account (or the interpreter, or whatever third party they think sounds convincing).

- You take your deposit, and send the money to the car hire people (or whatever) - via a wire transfer (Western Union Bank is popular for this).

- The card details are stolen. The payment you took is queried, and found to be fraudulent - so you get a chargeack on your card account.

The wire transfer you did will be untraceable, and goes back to the scammer, so they get the money for the 'car hire' etc, the person who's card they used gets their money back, and as the person/business that took the money - you (effectively) end up paying the scammer.

Incase you're wondering, I wasn't caught out, but was bored one November morning when I got an e-mail asking for 30 days accomodation for 7 Greek Priests attending a conference in Barmouth (!!). So I decided to play with the idiot - I told him I'd take the accomodation deposit - but couldn't do the rest - and he vanished!!

(If a group of 7 Greek priests actually did want to come on holiday to the UK, they'd be f***ed!!)