Old 19 February 2008, 10:10   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I used to spend a hell of a lot of time in remote areas - usually solo - and made do with just a map and compass.
you also used to go on a boat without a gps and used a red call box to get help if required in the good old days - but technology moves on.

Quote:
You mention many different groups of users - where do you draw the line? Surely the ultimate conclusion will be everyone in creation carrying them - wether they are a rambler with a broken leg or a teenager being followed by a gang using his latest gadget that mummy bought to keep him safe. great in principle but can the systems cope?
but we know that where they are permitted (i.e. at sea) many participants DON'T carry one - so that argument doesn't stack up. No matter how cheap the technology becomes it is still going to be 100+. There are still a lot of people go to sea without a 100 handheld VHF - so I doubt that that many people will be willing to spend 100 for a bit of kit they will never use. However for those that want to, or are engaged in particularly high risk activities, or want to do something on their own when the best practice might be not to - then I don't think there should be a significant barrier.
Old 08 March 2008, 12:31   #12

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
However, the 'Spot' system that is mentioned in the climbing forum might well be more appropriate for leisure land use. I'm sure if it's any good it will be over here before long.
SPOT satelliite messenger now available. 139.95 for the unit then various annual service charges for alert and tracking systems. See here for more

Old 08 March 2008, 17:33   #13

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I remember many complaints from rescue services when mobile phones became very popular .

one such case was a jetskier calling for a spare plug when he broke down trying to get from scotland to ireland . The argument was that they probably would not have gone so badly equipped on such a trip if they didn't have a mobile phone .
Old 09 March 2008, 08:32   #14

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Same idiot with or without a mobile phone unfortiunately . . . who knows what he'd do next?