Old 18 September 2008, 05:40   #11
RIBnet supporter
Town: Cambs/Northants
Boat name: Déjà Vu
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 15/250
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Anyone tried it ? .. I'm interested .. and would be keen to learn some tips of those who have done it
Never done it before but just googled it and found this

Put my postcode in and there's 60 within 10 miles
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 08:59   #12
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
entertain the kids?

Would adding to this help to entertain the kids?

Seems more constructive than littering the countryside with tupperware!
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 12:17   #13
Well Well, Polwart is quite unwise about lots of things... (take the use of wind power to move a boat for instance!) I wouldn't trust anything he says about geocaching... since he's never tried it.

I have - and therefore everything I say is the law.

Originally Posted by polwart
my brother does it. I just don't get it. if you want to wander about in the coutryside then on you go - but why spend your time hunting for a box of tat left by someone you don't know.
The tat's not for the grown ups. Occasionally there is some decent tat that might be - but on the whole the tat is exactly that... but kids don't seem to object to swapping matchbox cars etc via a GC. For grown ups either set about moving on some geo tags (travel bugs or coins {I don't get coins by the way}) or just go with the mission of finding the thing and signing the log book...

Its about the find not the content. Polwart I seem to remember chasing you round a forrest in your younger days looking for red and white canvas shapes hung from trees with a hole punch attached... don't remember you saying "I don't get it... its just a hole punch" But that was in the days when you considered using wind to power a boat a reasonably sensible option...

There are good caches and bad - and unfortunately no particularly good way to find the difference. There is a UK site affiliated with (other caching sites do exist too) - the UK site has a ratings system but I don't think I rate my caches the same way as others...

To me a good cache would take you someplace you wouldn't usually go. That could be a hill top, a path or for you guys - an island! The place should be nice. I've been to some right s&&t holes caching! The cache should be well hidden. If there is a clue it should be cryptic (look under the third rock doesn't exactly make it hard to find). BUT it should be achievable... I've been to a few that are just impossible.

I haven't cached for about a year... but thats a time factor and a weather factor (if its good I'll be on boat with a big flappy white thing above it... where there are sadly no caches).

Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Would adding to this help to entertain the kids?
Seems more constructive than littering the countryside with tupperware!
I'd say OSM is more of a teenager thing... than young kids. I may be wrong.

As for littering the countryside - two things apply here:
- it doesn't have to be a tupperware box... and if its well hidden you'll never know!
- have fairly strict rules on where caches can and can't be placed and on archiving etc to try and prevent geolitter.

I've always thought that caching and ribbing had great opportunity... Putting a cache on one of the islands on Loch Lommond makes it a fairly select cache... Just beware if you are going hunting while wearing your oilies etc you will stand out a mile away and as someone said before the idea is that muggles (non-cachers) don't find the cache as they have a nasty habit of trashing them....

Finally someone said its not social - there are social gatherings of these weird beings if you so desire... guess its like ribbing - you get together with like minded types if you want to...
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 12:26   #14
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I would be interested in a marinised version.
There are a few underwater caches. Most of which you need to dive to get to.

I had a tidal cache which lasted from August 2007 till February this year. It was submerged in a cove but the dynema holding it in the cove got worn away by some sharp rocks and now its out in the hands of neptune... ..I'm still constructing its replacement as when I announced its demise there was some local dismay! The replacement will be designed to be even more indestructible.

You can of course use the boat to access land based caches... and if that works for you you could then plan some water based ones... someone has to start them off. You are of course ideally positioned as theres a good amount of traffic round you.

ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote