Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 March 2006, 17:40   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Again if Land Rover's are so bad how come they have the best residuals???
Simple, because lots of people like them and buy them....doesn't make them better though! (VHS vs Betamax)

I think that on the whole they do look better, maybe more european? The fact that they used old BL parts up until recently says a lot.

I remember back in early '90's I took a range rover classic to a local garage (LR speciaists, but not main agent) to have the usual auto transmission knock sorted out. The owner (who has a LR enthusiast) said that this "problem" had existed since the RR was first designed in the '70s and all that was needed was a small hole for the oil to lubricate which would solve the problem. "If it was made by the Japs they would have sorted this out" where his very words..

I take your point about reviews, I take all reviews (except those on rib.net ) with a pinch of salt however, because you don't like the magazine then the readers comments aren't valid? These are real readers!
__________________

Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 17:44   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
.... things to ask/check include:
That must have taken some time to write - Many thanks - a lot of useful information there.

Cheers.
__________________

__________________
Jeff Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 17:59   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M
Simple, because lots of people like them and buy them....doesn't make them better though! (VHS vs Betamax)

I think that on the whole they do look better, maybe more european? The fact that they used old BL parts up until recently says a lot.

I remember back in early '90's I took a range rover classic to a local garage (LR speciaists, but not main agent) to have the usual auto transmission knock sorted out. The owner (who has a LR enthusiast) said that this "problem" had existed since the RR was first designed in the '70s and all that was needed was a small hole for the oil to lubricate which would solve the problem. "If it was made by the Japs they would have sorted this out" where his very words..

I take your point about reviews, I take all reviews (except those on rib.net ) with a pinch of salt however, because you don't like the magazine then the readers comments aren't valid? These are real readers!

RR Classic was fitted with a Yank auto box until 1985 - then a ZF 4spd which is almost the same as the one used until the last Disco 2. Don't know about this clunk??? Sounds more like prop UJs.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 18:02   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 166
Jeff,
I have a 1994 Landcruiser VX auto with the 4.2 TD engine with 217k miles on her. I tow a Pacific 22 with it all up weight about 2.7 tonnes. You are aware you are towing a heavy weight but does so without any problem. Steep inclines are not a problem either. I have not had any problems with the engine or major components other than minor electrical faults like window motors or faulty alarm. It does about 21mpg, probably a bit more on motorways but does not burn any oil or loose any ATF. It is not quick off the mark but you can sit in her literally all day and still be comfortable. There are none to be had in the scrapyards so I think that speaks volumes for their build quality and are easy enough to purchase off e bay. Rare as hens teeth in N Ireland
__________________
Slaphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 19:50   #35
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Just remember if there is no diff lock fitted it can be added - all the gubbins were there but LR thought people wouldn't want it with traction control.
Only on some though - some vehicles you just need the lever and cable (early ones I think), others (like mine ... 2002 model) don't have the diff lock guts in the transfer box so it is a more involved and expensive process. Didn't bother as I have this for going off the road:





The "clunk" referred to is mainshaft spline wear between gearbox and transfer box, affects manuals as much as autos (maybe more) but not a problem on anything built after some time in 1996 when the required oil drillings were added, definitely not a problem on most 300Tdi Discoverys and any Td5. All vehicles have a bit of backlash in the transmission if you shift from drive>reverse>drive>reverse especially when hot, this is where taking somebody with you who knows their stuff is important because anybody in the business will know what is normal and what is to be worried about!

IMHO the great thing about the older ones (everything pre D3 basically) is that the major units - engine, gearboxes, transfer box, diffs etc - are more or less the same across the range and cost very little to recondition/replace if required. I could take the transfer box out of a 1985 90 and fit it to my 2002 Discovery, for example. This is both good and bad but it means you are not faced with multi thousand pound bills if something does goes pop.
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 20:42   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
The "clunk" referred to is mainshaft spline wear between gearbox and transfer box, affects manuals as much as autos (maybe more) but not a problem on anything built after some time in 1996 when the required oil drillings were added
That was it! - So it only took LR 20 years to drill that hole. Nice quick product development
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 05:11   #37
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M
That was it! - So it only took LR 20 years to drill that hole. Nice quick product development
26 years and actually it is four holes IIRC so that it only 6.5 years per hole

anyway why ruin a perfectly good trade in selling gearboxes?
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 08:17   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Well LandRover have t0 do something otherwise they would never sell any vehicles - they just last too long!!!

Seriously though they may clunk but they still keep going!!! Never had the prob myself though.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 09:11   #39
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Landrover series 1 on ebay


Has this been molested, im sure its not meant to look that hideous.
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 10:03   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
They do the miles!

Just looking to replace my 1986 V8 Range Rover with 256000 miles for a newer (1995) TDI 300 Disco - with 308000 miles.
Both previously owned by my Dad for towing car trailers (loaded) around the country.

Under those conditions he has found the following:
V8 engines last 100000 miles
TDI engines have always gone the distance (last one sold had 380000 miles)
Gearboxes in the TDIs last 100000 miles
Gearboxes in the V8s last 200000 miles (had a transfer box as well though)
Axles and diffs have never needed any attention.

But - the metal mice do like them!
__________________

__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.