Old 27 December 2007, 11:37   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Digital TV Signal amplifier

Now the weather is a bit dodgy some of the channels on our digital free-view are un-watchable as the signal keeps freezing.

As it was fine up to a few weeks ago whilst the weather was better, I'm tempted to try one of the signal booster type devices rather than go to the expense of a new Ariel.

However I had a bad experience with one about 20 years ago that made the signal worse.

Has anyone had any experience with a particular unit that worked well? and is suitable for digital Freeview TV.

Ta

Nasher.
Old 27 December 2007, 12:15   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Now the weather is a bit dodgy some of the channels on our digital free-view are un-watchable as the signal keeps freezing.

As it was fine up to a few weeks ago whilst the weather was better, I'm tempted to try one of the signal booster type devices rather than go to the expense of a new Ariel.

However I had a bad experience with one about 20 years ago that made the signal worse.

Has anyone had any experience with a particular unit that worked well? and is suitable for digital Freeview TV.

Ta

Nasher.
Nasher I have used these in two different houses. In my experience they work well provided you fit them close to the ariel. When I have tried them closer to the TV I found that the amplified the noise as well as the signal and there was no benefit (or as you say it was worse).

As far as I can remember there was nothing special about these units with regards digital. I don't know the brand or model - but they were standard B&Q or Argos units - and knowing me - at the cheaper end of the market.

Just before you rush off to get an amp though - are you sure it is the signal strength? We have a Tevion Digital PVR (cheap Aldi box) that has apparently got a known firmware bug since they did an over the air upgrade months ago - it causes the box to freeze (like it has lost signal). I believe the problem is not limitted to just our model of PVR.
Old 27 December 2007, 12:21   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Nasher I have used these in two different houses. In my experience they work well provided you fit them close to the ariel. When I have tried them closer to the TV I found that the amplified the noise as well as the signal and there was no benefit (or as you say it was worse).
Yup that's my experience too. But, a couple of weeks ago I bought an indoor amplfied antenna suitable for digi and FM. I didn't have much faith in it but it was a tenner from Tesco so worth a try...works fine, 29dB gain...it claims.
Old 27 December 2007, 13:05   #4

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
I'd go for a masthead amplifier first, although it does mean getting up there to install it. You get the full benefit all the way from the aerial. Get one with variable gain so you don't damage the receiver by overpowering.
Old 27 December 2007, 13:57   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Is Sky not an option ?
Old 27 December 2007, 19:41   #6

Thanks for the replys.

Will go down to Screwfix tomorrow and pick up a variable gain Masthead amplifier they sell for @£14 that includes the power supply.
Looks quite good.

Biggles Hi.
Don't really want to go for Sky at the moment, the freeview channels we get are enough for us as we don't watch much telly, and don't want the sports channels etc.
Would be a waste of the monthly fee at the moment, but plan to look at it later in the year.
We don't have cable down our road either, one of our neighbours asked NTL if they would put it in, and they quoted £3.5K per house and only if all 12 of us signed up!

Nasher.
Old 27 December 2007, 20:04   #7

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Suggestion: before you do anything check ALL your signal connections and clean if required. This includes the contact points inside each connector. eg. central conductor and braided shield. A high resistance connection can really make a difference.
Old 27 December 2007, 22:26   #8

Quote:
Biggles Hi.
Don't really want to go for Sky at the moment, the freeview channels we get are enough for us as we don't watch much telly, and don't want the sports channels etc.
Would be a waste of the monthly fee at the moment, but plan to look at it later in the year.

Nasher.
Truth be told I hate paying for something twice. BBC Licence fee and sky. But Sky is good, certainly the best transmission picture I've seen. I would like cable but thats not without its problems. It would be a no brainer if we didn't have to pay the BBC tax.
Old 27 December 2007, 23:21   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Truth be told I hate paying for something twice. BBC Licence fee and sky. But Sky is good, certainly the best transmission picture I've seen. I would like cable but thats not without its problems. It would be a no brainer if we didn't have to pay the BBC tax.
I would like to thank Biggles and all the BBC taxpayers for their contributions. We really do enjoy all the BBC programmes we get over here on cable for no extra charge. How much is the BBC license these days?
Old 28 December 2007, 07:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
How much is the BBC license these days?
£135.50
Old 28 December 2007, 16:26   #11

Well the Screwfix Masthead amplifier may have made a differance.

But................

Not as much differance as unwrapping the christmas tree lights power cable from around the aerial cable behind the telly

All the problems went away, but as I'd brought it I then fitted the Amp anyway with the gain turned down low.
I did say it had only been bad recently, but had just not put two and two together, and didn't find it until I was poking around behind the telly to fit the power supply to the amp. I'd even unplugged and wiped all the connectors yesterday but just not untangled the mass of cables.
I can't even figure out how the cables got so wrapped around each other.

Stupid I know, but you live and learn.

Nasher.
Old 28 December 2007, 16:48   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
I can't even figure out how the cables got so wrapped around each other.
Musta bin Santa.