Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 December 2007, 07:37   #1
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Digital TV Signal amplifier

Now the weather is a bit dodgy some of the channels on our digital free-view are un-watchable as the signal keeps freezing.

As it was fine up to a few weeks ago whilst the weather was better, I'm tempted to try one of the signal booster type devices rather than go to the expense of a new Ariel.

However I had a bad experience with one about 20 years ago that made the signal worse.

Has anyone had any experience with a particular unit that worked well? and is suitable for digital Freeview TV.

Ta

Nasher.
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 08:15   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Now the weather is a bit dodgy some of the channels on our digital free-view are un-watchable as the signal keeps freezing.

As it was fine up to a few weeks ago whilst the weather was better, I'm tempted to try one of the signal booster type devices rather than go to the expense of a new Ariel.

However I had a bad experience with one about 20 years ago that made the signal worse.

Has anyone had any experience with a particular unit that worked well? and is suitable for digital Freeview TV.

Ta

Nasher.
Nasher I have used these in two different houses. In my experience they work well provided you fit them close to the ariel. When I have tried them closer to the TV I found that the amplified the noise as well as the signal and there was no benefit (or as you say it was worse).

As far as I can remember there was nothing special about these units with regards digital. I don't know the brand or model - but they were standard B&Q or Argos units - and knowing me - at the cheaper end of the market.

Just before you rush off to get an amp though - are you sure it is the signal strength? We have a Tevion Digital PVR (cheap Aldi box) that has apparently got a known firmware bug since they did an over the air upgrade months ago - it causes the box to freeze (like it has lost signal). I believe the problem is not limitted to just our model of PVR.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 08:21   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Nasher I have used these in two different houses. In my experience they work well provided you fit them close to the ariel. When I have tried them closer to the TV I found that the amplified the noise as well as the signal and there was no benefit (or as you say it was worse).
Yup that's my experience too. But, a couple of weeks ago I bought an indoor amplfied antenna suitable for digi and FM. I didn't have much faith in it but it was a tenner from Tesco so worth a try...works fine, 29dB gain...it claims.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:05   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 765
I'd go for a masthead amplifier first, although it does mean getting up there to install it. You get the full benefit all the way from the aerial. Get one with variable gain so you don't damage the receiver by overpowering.
__________________
www.allgadgets.co.uk
Tel 01395 227727
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:57   #5
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Is Sky not an option ?
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 15:41   #6
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Thanks for the replys.

Will go down to Screwfix tomorrow and pick up a variable gain Masthead amplifier they sell for @£14 that includes the power supply.
Looks quite good.

Biggles Hi.
Don't really want to go for Sky at the moment, the freeview channels we get are enough for us as we don't watch much telly, and don't want the sports channels etc.
Would be a waste of the monthly fee at the moment, but plan to look at it later in the year.
We don't have cable down our road either, one of our neighbours asked NTL if they would put it in, and they quoted £3.5K per house and only if all 12 of us signed up!

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 16:04   #7
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Suggestion: before you do anything check ALL your signal connections and clean if required. This includes the contact points inside each connector. eg. central conductor and braided shield. A high resistance connection can really make a difference.
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 18:26   #8
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Biggles Hi.
Don't really want to go for Sky at the moment, the freeview channels we get are enough for us as we don't watch much telly, and don't want the sports channels etc.
Would be a waste of the monthly fee at the moment, but plan to look at it later in the year.


Nasher.
Truth be told I hate paying for something twice. BBC Licence fee and sky. But Sky is good, certainly the best transmission picture I've seen. I would like cable but thats not without its problems. It would be a no brainer if we didn't have to pay the BBC tax.
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 19:21   #9
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Truth be told I hate paying for something twice. BBC Licence fee and sky. But Sky is good, certainly the best transmission picture I've seen. I would like cable but thats not without its problems. It would be a no brainer if we didn't have to pay the BBC tax.
I would like to thank Biggles and all the BBC taxpayers for their contributions. We really do enjoy all the BBC programmes we get over here on cable for no extra charge. How much is the BBC license these days?
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 03:50   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
How much is the BBC license these days?
£135.50
__________________

__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.