Old 19 June 2005, 23:26   #61

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Very strange The company I am buying my vehicle from appears at the bottom of this page in an advert (third from left, save £5,000) Is Ribnet a Landrover Sponsor then? Just interested as it seems strange that it has appeared there.

Even stranger, I am now on a new page with this post and its not here, but still on the page before (p6)
Old 19 June 2005, 23:35   #62
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
modicum
fuk mee. de ownly pirsun i herd saiy dat werd waz a fkin jujj att mi tryal for sellin dojjy kiar sorenttoos too sum beljum nobburs

hee sed az itt waz beljum nobburs hoo bort de mowtors hee cud aply a deegrea ov leeniensy. hee sentenst mee to 200kwid fromm pubblik funnds,

hee orlso sed gArf fink yorrsellf fkin lukky yew criminul jeenius. ifn itt waz de irysh hoo bort dem mowtors yew wud av sirved a lonng strech inn de howse ov lawds

gArf
Old 19 June 2005, 23:45   #63

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Codprawn this isnt a post about "OTHER VEHICLES" its about Defenders.

As far as importing vehicles from the Republic of Ireland to the Uk is concerned, now that is a joke.....
Why would anyone do that, we pay 40% more for our vehicles than you do,
So now its apparantly viable to ship higher priced vehicles to the UK for resale?

As far as not having experience with Defenders, I spent a winter 2 years ago rebuilding a 1986 one with a friend, the one I posted about earlier, Gearbox went on the drive home, apart from modding it we actually replaced the engine too, with a Nissan diesel, I have done quite a lot under a Defender, Unlike yourself, yours doesnt even need servicing by all accounts, if you dont like what I am posting, try not to take it to heart,

Do the searches yourself, I ve mentioned where the reviews came from, find me some good points, this is what the forums are about.

Unfortunatly you already have an opinion about Irish,and Jap vehicles, and are quite happy to tell us about my mate this, and this friend etc,
give us a few links, post a bit of credible info for a change.

If Landrover 4x4 is so amazing, and Wales is only 54 miles from Dublin, bearing in mind in Ireland almost every third or fourth vehicle on our roads, is a 4x4 ,

why if we ship every vehicle into Ireland , do we have very few Defenders, and thousands upon thousands of , Toyotas, Mitsibushi,Isuzu,........ you will probably know some friend that has the answer.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 02:24   #64

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Codprawn this isnt a post about "OTHER VEHICLES" its about Defenders.

As far as importing vehicles from the Republic of Ireland to the Uk is concerned, now that is a joke.....
Why would anyone do that, we pay 40% more for our vehicles than you do,
So now its apparantly viable to ship higher priced vehicles to the UK for resale?

As far as not having experience with Defenders, I spent a winter 2 years ago rebuilding a 1986 one with a friend, the one I posted about earlier, Gearbox went on the drive home, apart from modding it we actually replaced the engine too, with a Nissan diesel, I have done quite a lot under a Defender, Unlike yourself, yours doesnt even need servicing by all accounts, if you dont like what I am posting, try not to take it to heart,

Do the searches yourself, I ve mentioned where the reviews came from, find me some good points, this is what the forums are about.

Unfortunatly you already have an opinion about Irish,and Jap vehicles, and are quite happy to tell us about my mate this, and this friend etc,
give us a few links, post a bit of credible info for a change.

If Landrover 4x4 is so amazing, and Wales is only 54 miles from Dublin, bearing in mind in Ireland almost every third or fourth vehicle on our roads, is a 4x4 ,

why if we ship every vehicle into Ireland , do we have very few Defenders, and thousands upon thousands of , Toyotas, Mitsibushi,Isuzu,........ you will probably know some friend that has the answer.

Don't know about a friend who has an answer but Mr Davies seems to have summed it up perfectly!!!!!
Old 20 June 2005, 06:42   #65

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish
fuk mee. de ownly pirsun i herd saiy dat werd waz a fkin jujj att mi tryal for sellin dojjy kiar sorenttoos too sum beljum nobburs

hee sed az itt waz beljum nobburs hoo bort de mowtors hee cud aply a deegrea ov leeniensy. hee sentenst mee to 200kwid fromm pubblik funnds,

hee orlso sed gArf fink yorrsellf fkin lukky yew criminul jeenius. ifn itt waz de irysh hoo bort dem mowtors yew wud av sirved a lonng strech inn de howse ov lawds

gArf

I find it extremely difficult to follow the language. Could you please offer a translation. I thought that the language on this board was English - not some
yokel diallect dating from the 14th century.

jonathan
Old 20 June 2005, 06:45   #66

Don't know about a friend who has an answer but Mr Davies seems to have summed it up perfectly!!!!!

Now Codprawn using prose from Phil............... that could be dangereous...

Jonathan
Old 20 June 2005, 07:07   #67

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

Is he in his summing up for you, not talking about Austrialians....???

Still nothing credible from you Codprawn, no proof for us!!

Just as I thought....

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 07:16   #68

Gavin- dont get too excited about the posts from Codprawn. I personally do not believe 1% of what he says is correct.He is also on a number of other boards ( "boater" ect... ) spouting out on a vast range of subjects.. The
problem is people believe him... and that is all what he is seeking- a glorification of his ego. I would like to see a picture of him and his LR, I would also like to see a picture of his estate in wales, .. And what I do not understand is that this guy who doesnt have a rib is able to offer so much advice , presumably gathered from his 36 years of nautical experience, after completing his doctorate at the age of 3. In the meantime he was able to take over AOL,CISCO, IBM and has recently offered Bill Gates his services to
update Windows XP - as the new version due out in 2007 will be rewritten in
a new language being introduced by.... you' guessed it.......

Dont worry Codders- it might never happen.....
Old 20 June 2005, 07:41   #69

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
I have a LR110... in fact I'm on my 12th ish LR product. I also have, in my works' fleet (fleet is a grand word, but thanks to the DOT - or whatever they're called these days- I'm a "fleet operator"..how cool is that?), an LT200 – used to have two, but one got squished – several Ford 4X4s… what can I say? They were cheap at the time… and a Toyota..Mmm…nice… if your name is Gervais….

Guess what Codders? Gavin is right about some of those complaints… I’ve had axle problems, gear box problems and even managed to blow up a V8… ah, well, it was going well till it went “pop”….

But guess what else? If I have to choose a vehicle to use, it’ll be my trusty… **stop sniggering at the back there** Defender. …. Why? Cause I love it to bits, warts’n all. It does what I want, when I want…eventually…. and costs not a lot to run… residual values are strong…..for whatever reason… whereas my LT , Fords and Toyota are going into free fall on the re-sale and that counts for a great deal to me….

..and JW ? I knew what EP stood for…
Old 20 June 2005, 07:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
....bearing in mind in Ireland almost every third or fourth vehicle on our roads, is a 4x4 ,
...cause your roads are shite! With all the "tarmacing" that goes on in England by people with Irish accents I understand that you have no-one left in your home country to do a little road maintenance... Do your bit for the environment, Ireland and we wouldn't need all those poxy 4X4 trucks... mind you when the EU stop paying farmers ridiculous subsidies for over-producing, then they won't be able to afford them anyway.... and, as for our Australian cousins......

Any one else I can offend today?
Old 20 June 2005, 08:38   #71

Guess what Codders? Gavin is right about some of those complaints… I’ve had axle problems, gear box problems and even managed to blow up a V8… ah, well, it was going well till it went “pop”….

---- takes some doing to pop a V8- especillay the one they re-worked from GM in the late 60"s. Never managed that myself. Lots of other stupidity .. yes

Jonathan
Old 20 June 2005, 13:19   #72

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Gavin- dont get too excited about the posts from Codprawn. I personally do not believe 1% of what he says is correct.He is also on a number of other boards ( "boater" ect... ) spouting out on a vast range of subjects.. The
problem is people believe him... and that is all what he is seeking- a glorification of his ego. I would like to see a picture of him and his LR, I would also like to see a picture of his estate in wales, .. And what I do not understand is that this guy who doesnt have a rib is able to offer so much advice , presumably gathered from his 36 years of nautical experience, after completing his doctorate at the age of 3. In the meantime he was able to take over AOL,CISCO, IBM and has recently offered Bill Gates his services to
update Windows XP - as the new version due out in 2007 will be rewritten in
a new language being introduced by.... you' guessed it.......

Dont worry Codders- it might never happen.....

And WHAT other boards am I on???? The ONLY one I am aware of is boatmad and I have only posted a few times a while ago!!!

So come on - you make these accusations - show me these other boards you are on about!!!!
Old 20 June 2005, 15:14   #73

So come on - you make these accusations - show me these other boards you are on about

Yes 'boatmad.com " - three times in the last 2 months. But I would not want to get too personal... I must admit I do owe you an apology as LR gbs DO HAVE oil pumps - and I was completely wrong. Some time ago I took a RR box down as the TB had gone and I did not see any oil pump in the box. A friend who has a 4x4 gargage , however assured me there is a pump - but its right at the end and you dont see it; hence my comments. Again my apologies for this one... Anway here is my pedigree for RR

1986 v8 rangey converted with a Madza 3.5 TDi - 300.000 kms without any problems ( except 2 TBs that went due to the torque involved)

1996 VM rangey - one of the most awlful engines ever fitted- converted
with a Toyota 4.2 TD - straight 6 with automatic box . Sold in 1999 and still
going strong with some 450.000 kms on the clock.

RR and LR - in my humble opinion have never managed to offer a decent high-powered diesel. Even the BMW had probems. I dont know what they are offering at the moment????. Give it to the Japs and K***RTS- they do have some fine TD's

Jonathan
Old 20 June 2005, 16:36   #74
Ken

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: UTAH
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid Turbo Four
I have just read this thread from start to finish (how sad?) and it seesm to be getting abit out of hand.
I have a pacific 22 on military rib trailer with NATO hitch. MY LR's (note plural) have DIXON BATE drop plate which allows me to swap easily between NATO and ball/pin hitch (COD was correct about people misunderstanding the failed hitch issue, it was the hitch NOT the drop plate that failed)
On the LR front I have 3 (88, 110 and disco) and am about to change my BMW 3 series for a 90!!!!!
I accept they are not as reliable as JAP vehicles, but at least its cheap and easy to maintain them. A failure can happen to anyone and JAP parts are generally much more expensive than LR.
As for rebuilding old LR's, I have done 2, and its easy! but I wouldn't even consider it on a JAP vehicle!
as a vehicle for running the boat around and launching, its ideal. If you want luxury look elsewhere.
I think Codprawn is being more realistic than the belgian guy (is he an MEP on a solo mission?).
Feel free to contradict me, I have plenty of experience with LR's and more common sense than you can shake a toyota at!

Ken.

PS don't most japs still use rear leaf spings? LR gave them up in the 80's!
Old 20 June 2005, 16:39   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
PS don't most japs still use rear leaf spings? LR gave them up in the 80's!
....can you tell me why a leaf spring is inferior to a coil spring in the "springing" department? Can anyone?
Old 20 June 2005, 17:34   #76
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
....can you tell me why a leaf spring is inferior to a coil spring in the "springing" department? Can anyone?
Leaf springs have less range of compression (generally) which gives less axle articulation and are more susceptible to variations caused by corrosion between the leaves.

Anyway, when was the last time you saw a performance car with leaf springs!

I can't remember how many reviews of L200's etc I have read where there have been adverse comments about the harsh and bouncy ride at the rear as a result of the leaf springs.

Ken
Old 20 June 2005, 17:47   #77

Excuse me!! Can we please stay on the topic of the thread Now what was that about the Irish and Australians?

OK guys, I am committed 100% to the D90, the clincher was someones mention that it is good for towing and launching, that is all I need it for, it's only a toy to muck about in, but I do take depreciation seriously and always try to limit this that is why I bought a Frontera before

So extra's, what is worth getting and what is bollox, drilling unnecessary holes in a car that is likely to rust after a couple of weeks is not my favoured option. I need to order the options tomorrow to get them delivered and fitted for Friday, vehicle arrives Wednesday from Italy, so popping over to Las Vegas to get the cash Thursday

Optional extra's :-
Front rubber mats
Front mud flaps (rear already on)
Front rubber A frame (bull bar)
Front rubber wrap around A frame (wraps round headlamps as well)
Spot lamps to fit to above (if so which type)
Petrol tank shield (undershield)
Front underguard protector
Snow chains
ECU upgrade (extra 21bhp)
Warn 9,000lb winch enclosed in special 'winch' bumper
Dog guard
Rear load space rubber mat
Vinyl wheel cover
Locking wheel nuts
Rear high level work light
Hinged front lamp guards
rear hinged lamp guards
Land rover credit card with £15,000 limit for repairs
Acrylic headlamp protectors
Roof rack
Ladder for above
Chequerplate kit for wing tops, front bumper, sills, rear quarters
Snorkel
Half day off road driving lesson £140 (free to UK sold vehicle owners )

What is already on it for my superb price :-
Upgrade vinyl to cloth seats
CD player
Additional front seat
Metallic paint
Remote control central locking and alarm
Free white roof
Boost alloy wheels and Grabber 235 tyres
Bates multi height tow bar
Rear mud flaps
1yrs Road tax
3yr Land Rover warranty
3yrs Land Rover Europe assist

The vehicle will be used mostly pottering about on a Sunday in London with perhaps 5 recover and launches a year, I expect to cover no more than 3,000 miles a year unless I suddenly get the urge to go somewhere far in it, but the catalogues states it is only good for short agricultural journeys and the 110 is the long range one, but why? 90 comes out best for rugged off road, so I will be able to go on grass kerbs e.t.c.

Now what about the long roof bar and half a dozen lamps on it, err...perhaps a bit too much like the tomb raider

Thanks in advance
Old 20 June 2005, 18:12   #78
Ken

Pete.

Glad you have seen through all the banter.

The following I would suggest as necessary for what you are planning to do, and the rest are nice for looks (or for extreme offroading which I assume is unlikely with a boat attached).

Rubber floor mats for front footwells and rear load space
Rear work light is useful if recovering boat in the dark
locking wheel nuts (if it doesn't come with)
rear lamp guards may be useful if you are prone to catching things with trailers, ropes etc
I would thoroughly recomend the underbody treatment with waxoyl or the more expensive stuff if you can afford.

The rest are nice to have but not necessary.

If you plan to go offroading (more than just a grassy field!) then I would suggest you add the tank, steering and diff protectors and definately replace the side sills with rock sliders and add head light protectors.

Also consider getting yourself a high lift jack, great for most things (not just for the LR, but can be used for pulling tree stumps in the garden and many other things)

Roof rack is useful but increases height of vehicle to well over 2m which will restrict some car park access.

with regard the 90/110 long range driving Q, the 90 has a very short wheelbase, even compared to many cars, and is therefore not as stable at motorway speeds as the longer 110. It is however not a drastic difference and it doesn't mean you can't cruise along the M4 at 70+ in a 90.

Hope this helps.

Ken.
Old 20 June 2005, 18:51   #79

Thanks Ken, my thoughts were similar to yours and seem the sensible options. I don't know what the rear floor mat is going to be like in the standard vehicle, so do not really want to pay £70+ for the extra mat until I see what I get. The options I have on the base model bring it almost into line with a County here, the only bits missing are electric windows, rear seats are 4 singles rather than 2 bench, tinted windows and carpets (which I would prefer not to have). The reason I did not go for the County which apart from the £1,300 extra through the importers was the fact that those models and the new XS have the bulk head between fron and rear deleted to enable you to put the seat back further, this is replaced with a low role bar type contraption, BUT kit in the back would fly into the front if you stamped on the brakes. I wanted the bulkhead so that I could just hose out the back so had to go for the base model with it. I must say I can live without the other few options which all in all I don't think are worth the extra money in a County, the cloth seats are a nice extra as the UK ones have vinyl.

What do you think about the front soft A frame bull bar, I would like extra lights and this seems a good way to fit them, although expensive as the bar is £299 and the lights £211 (and that is with 25% discount from Land Rover ). One other thing is the side step, they do the individual one you have to flip up and down or the long bar which is £230 per pair, I have a 3yr old and she will need something to help her get in, so what do you suggest?

Thanks again for your time and experience, it is very much appreciated.

P.S. All this talk slagging off Land Rover, look at why I didn't choose a Hummer, all fancy outer shell or what? comments please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hummer.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	12785  
Old 20 June 2005, 19:24   #80

Gavin and Codprawn, thanks for the PM's I am glad that you have made up and apologies accepted. It was all a storm in a D cup but happy that we can all agree the Defender is the best 4x4 by far

Eupa, I don't understand your rude PM about the Irish and insults about the English, but then I guess this was the most excitement you have had for a long time in Belgium At least you now agree as well that it was all a bit of fun and that if you needed a new 4 x 4 you would go for the Defender, why you don't say it on the forum is for you to decide