Old 27 February 2013, 15:22   #11
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Every day!

I should have been a mechanic, a carpenter or a tree surgeon! Having said that... there's always those that are less fortunate, so take stock and look around you.

In my book - having kids keeps you on the straight and narrow - as they don't have time for your midlife crisis, they just want to be loved, have stability, and I dare say a decent holiday every year.

Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 15:27   #12
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Didnt have a career change but worked for Barrus for 15 years and was always dreaming about setting up on my own. One day it kind of just all happened!. Moved my wife, and two boys to Cornwall 3 years later where still here!!. Its pretty hard sometimes but so far so good!!! When its all doing my head in quick lunch time walk on the beach and its game on!!!

Black Dog Marine
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 15:28   #13
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Sorry i missed you Peter, must have been in my own likkle world trundling down to the boats. Tues was Portsmouth then Hamble- yes can be excellent but like all things you have to work at it to make it pay the way
I only spotted you as I was being driven away .....a nice change for me not to be driving...I tried to post the pic to you FB page but it failed

Have you ever got up one morning and said enough is enough and it's time for a change?

So to be specific for Whisper;

Have you ever turned your life upside down for a dream? Or do you wish you had? I have, I still wish I had tried harder ....
Are you regretting something you have or haven't done? Yep - daily !!! Both !

Is this recession really all that bad? Yes - I deal mainly with SME business nowadays (small medium from 5 to maybe a few hundred employees) - all are really looking at the bottom line....I feel its a needed adjustment that rather than be allowed to all go BANG overnight has actually been managed into a longer gradual process that has allowed a lot of poeple to stay in business and manage the adjustment - but thats a whole new serious thread and who know life is serious enough !
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 15:28   #14
Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Changed career at 30 to be a Quantity Surveyor, going back to uni part time on day release at the same time as holding down a job was difficult but don't regret it for a moment, despite the pressure.

Agree with PeterM that the pressure and responsibilities would mean that with some assurance it is very risky.
Ian_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 15:53   #15
Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
ok here goes......
12 years ago whe my children were 18months and 3yrs my then wife informed me she had met someone else ,

its fair to say what followed was a period of reflection, which included my 15 years carear in salesmanagement which i discovered i hated with a passion.

my next mistake was to look for a change in carear by focusing on earnings ...........6 years later i walked out of being financial advisor in a bank. during this time i spoke to an increasing number of clients who wished to change their lives............reduce the stress, earn less, do a rewarding job and spend less.

i for the last 6 years have been working with kids with behaviour issues, love it, 13 weeks holiday, time with my kids (and 2nd wife)
the school have now paid for my training to take the kids mountain biking, which i am currently expanding.

very lucky

xs 400 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Moray Firth | Top | vat »