Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 March 2006, 03:26   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
is it me or do fords always smell different to other cars, new ones that is

they tend to have a different plastic type smell, noticed it a lot of times
There is a whole department just dealing with the smell of the plastic but be careful going around sniffing things can get you into trouble Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 03:36   #32
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
is it me or do fords always smell different to other cars, new ones that is

they tend to have a different plastic type smell, noticed it a lot of times
You know what…….. never once has one considered the smell of the car’s plastic has any influence on how it may perform as a tow vehicle
__________________

__________________
“The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys”
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 06:16   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: no boat
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 378
How about a radically small car (like Polo / Yaris or something).

Here's my thinking.

I may leave the boat a mile or 2 from the water but I'll have to drive 300 miles to get to it.

My daughter is 17 next year so I'm thinking about sharing with her. So seriously small is good but with enough grunt to pull the boat the 2 miles, get it in and out of the water (without getting it's wheels wet) - I'm talking around 750kg, AND be a reasonably painless 300 mile journey.

So Small, very economic but reasonably powerful and fun to drive. Does this car exist? Somebody mentioned focus already. Something smaller?

To hell with looking a prat on the slipway!

ps anyone recommend a good car forum to go ask?
__________________
Rich L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 06:31   #34
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
How about a radically small car (like Polo / Yaris or something).

Here's my thinking.

I may leave the boat a mile or 2 from the water but I'll have to drive 300 miles to get to it.

My daughter is 17 next year so I'm thinking about sharing with her. So seriously small is good but with enough grunt to pull the boat the 2 miles, get it in and out of the water (without getting it's wheels wet) - I'm talking around 750kg, AND be a reasonably painless 300 mile journey.

So Small, very economic but reasonably powerful and fun to drive. Does this car exist? Somebody mentioned focus already. Something smaller?


To hell with looking a prat on the slipway!

ps anyone recommend a good car forum to go ask?
If your looking for small I would consider a small diesel, Skoda Fabia diesel possibly 1.9TDI, and because you have a 17yr old daughter not a son the insurance would be bearable.
Fabia would struggle on very steep slip ways just because of the light weight of it.
They do a 1.4 TDI and a 1.9TDi, 75BHP and 100BHP respectively. Its a Polo underneith by the way.


Alex
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 06:52   #35
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
To hell with looking a prat on the slipway!

Really would not worry about this part of your quest as me thinks we are all more than able to do this with out any aid of less than suitable car to drag a RIB up a slip-way.

Personally I am looking into seeing if I can get a tow bar onto the back of my Morris Minor Traveler so I can combine the use of two toys at once.
__________________
“The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys”
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 06:58   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: no boat
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt
Really would not worry about this part of your quest as me thinks we are all more than able to do this with out any aid of less than suitable car to drag a RIB up a slip-way.

Personally I am looking into seeing if I can get a tow bar onto the back of my Morris Minor Traveler so I can combine the use of two toys at once.
Thats a good idea! Maybe this is my opportunity to get my old Triumph GT6 back on the road Oh no, I forgot, 17 year old daughter....


I really wish the skoda thing was an option but to a 17 year old girl, image is the most important thing in her life.... (mind you I would be getting her back for those years of hell..... hmmm...)
__________________
Rich L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 07:08   #37
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
Thats a good idea! Maybe this is my opportunity to get my old Triumph GT6 back on the road Oh no, I forgot, 17 year old daughter....


I really wish the skoda thing was an option but to a 17 year old girl, image is the most important thing in her life.... (mind you I would be getting her back for those years of hell..... hmmm...)

The joys of car sharing! Your going to get financially hit either way!
I couldn't tell you what side the fuel filler is on my mums car, and then theres the trick of coasting into the drive when its about to run out of juice, mum goes to Sainsburys the next day
MOT time needs 4 new tyres
Daughters aren't so bad, and probably only use the handbrake for parking!

Alex
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 07:24   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: no boat
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
You're still better off with the Skoda which, as a re-badged Passat, enjoys the benefits of VW engineering and reliability but in a much better value package - cheaper parts, servicing etc. etc. Those affected by brand image continue of course to avoid Skodas like the plague, thereby ensuring they remain an even greater bargain for the less self-conscious members of society. As a self-assured and intelligent chap, Rich, I'm sure your only problem will be convincing Tracy of that fact
Skoda? Tracey says your dead when she sees you next.
__________________
Rich L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 08:48   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
ps anyone recommend a good car forum to go ask?
One of the best is www.pistonheads.com which is where I sourced that 4x4 Skoda for you, which you and your wife so cruelly derided, although that would have been your best option before you started faffing on about bijou cars with 0.8 ltr engines Pistonheads does major on TVR, Lotus and Porsche, although you'll find all makes discussed. I understand the Trabant 2-stroke owners' club have a particularly fascinating website, although you will of course need a baggy cardigan to gain access to their monthly meetings.
__________________
Phil Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 09:28   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 93
Had to tow my rib the length of the country with my Audi 80 Turbo Diesel, Never again, The boat waged the tail of the car for the full length of the M5 and most of the M6 and also proved to be totally gutless for the hills on the M5. but at least the brakes worked then.

Once on the slipway it managed to destroy two sets of front tyres and in the end the gearbox (it was a company car) So along came the Pajero (another company car) and I have never looked back don’t know the rib is on the back of the Paj and it will get 28-29 miles to the gallon, towing the Audi was only giving that.

To be totally legal you need to keep an eye on weights of the car and trailer (Loaded) but then what does totally legal mean.
__________________

__________________
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.