Old 13 October 2014, 08:00   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Another yes or no question: this time on tests for powerboaters

After reading the last yes or no question.
What are the views on whether anyone using a powerboat should be required to pass a driving, handling and basic navigation test first?

Old 13 October 2014, 08:32   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
After reading the last yes or no question.
What are the views on whether anyone using a powerboat should be required to pass a driving, handling and basic navigation test first?
Is it that time of year again?

Some of the reasons why this is a bad idea:

- How would it be enforced? Either it wouldn't or responsible boaters are paying to police the rest who will just move areas where they are unlikely to get caught.
-What makes you think a basic competence test would improve average skills actually displayed on the water? Evidence from the roads is that even with licensing, much higher traffic density (and thus risk), easier policing, etc there are still a significant number of people ignoring the rules.
- A basic competence test will not encourage people to keep learning beyond the basics - but is likely to entitle them to 'drive' a wide variety of boats in all sorts of conditions (just as the road driving test is always sat in daylight, reasonable weather and usually a small car - but the day after passing you can drive a 3.5 tonne van on a motorway)
- There are relatively few powerboat accidents in the UK. Nobody has provided any evidence from countries with licensing/testing that it would fall significantly.
- At what point does a boat become a powerboat? e.g. a sailing boat using its engine? a tender going to a sailing boat? why not all boats - after all yachts are just as likely to be a problem as powerboats: what about sailing dinghies though - are you going to license a 9 yr old in an Oppie? or windsurfers? or kayaks?
Old 13 October 2014, 08:47   #3

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
No.

It would be cumbersome to enforce, costly and not make much difference to safety.

You cant teach common sense, never mind enforce it.
Old 13 October 2014, 08:49   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I think the general consensus of the collective, is that any question that includes the word "compulsory" will generally result in a NO vote.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 09:14   #5

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I think the general consensus of the collective, is that any question that includes the word "compulsory" will generally result in a NO vote.

.....sh1t happens.......
Definite no. The nanny state & the eu regulate too much as it is !!
Old 13 October 2014, 09:17   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Definite no. The nanny state & the eu regulate too much as it is !!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 09:28   #7

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
while i think the "wisdom" here will say no, I say yes.
The idea of ticket collecting is not the point, any licence shows that at some point you have proved that you understand and can answer the questions relevant to the topic.

Usually this means training/coaching or experience, so instead of going out with a fist full of cash and no clue and buying a boat capable of 50 knots and promptly hurting yourself or others or putting others at risk fetching you in bad conditions, you show some degree of understanding. OK you can still be a cock and do all the wrong things but you have shown you understood what should/should not be done.

I don't think there are many here who would not advocate a PB2 for a first timer, so I still at a loss why so many people say no?
Old 13 October 2014, 09:40   #8
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
while i think the "wisdom" here will say no, I say yes.
The idea of ticket collecting is not the point, any licence shows that at some point you have proved that you understand and can answer the questions relevant to the topic.

Usually this means training/coaching or experience, so instead of going out with a fist full of cash and no clue and buying a boat capable of 50 knots and promptly hurting yourself or others or putting others at risk fetching you in bad conditions, you show some degree of understanding. OK you can still be a cock and do all the wrong things but you have shown you understood what should/should not be done.

I don't think there are many here who would not advocate a PB2 for a first timer, so I still at a loss why so many people say no?
I fully agree!
Old 13 October 2014, 09:52   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
so instead of going out with a fist full of cash and no clue and buying a boat capable of 50 knots
how often do you think this happens? and why do you think it would not happen if someone passed a test in a SR4 with a 25HP on the back 15 yrs ago? exactly this sort of thing happens on the roads both with the young and naive "boy racers" passing their test and smacking it into trees, and with "born again bikers" - licensing doesn't stop either.

Quote:
...and promptly hurting yourself or others or putting others at risk fetching you in bad conditions...
and how often are totally inexperienced people (who would have no hope of passing a test) actually hurt (or cause injury) or need rescued in challenging conditions.
Old 13 October 2014, 11:26   #10

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I am not surprised by the general response. There is little skill required to trundle round in a RIB with a handful of mates, its like driving a car round a field.