Click Here to Login

Old 23 December 2009, 22:00   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
3D Air Mesh - Can anyone help?

Bit of a random request this one but thought I'd give it a shot...

I'm trying to see if I can get hold of some 3D Air Mesh. It may go by another name but basically its the mesh that is used in some backpack straps and back pads that allows air to flow through.

This is all I can find on the internet:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...sh_Fabric.html

I can't seem to find anyone in the UK (or anywhere other than in the far east) who sell this stuff. I don't need or want a ton of it which is what their min order is!

I want to try and design and make my own camera backpack and so I'm just seeing if its possible to get hold of all the materials, then I'll work out whether I'm capable of operating a sewing machine

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 December 2009, 09:36   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Pick up a second hand Tamrac or lowepro off ebay mate. The expadition 8 is massive so you should be able to get enough of the mesh stuff out of it to make a few bags.
If your after a bag to use on the boat, go for the Lowepro Dryzone. Totaly water proof and it floats
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ck-grey/p10135
Old 24 December 2009, 10:02   #3

Yeah I've considered cannibalising an existing pack, thanks for the tip on the expedition 8.

This bag is not for boating but for mountain biking and snowboarding, although if this design is successful then perhaps the next one will be RIB specific
Old 24 December 2009, 10:23   #4
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim View Post
Yeah I've considered cannibalising an existing pack, thanks for the tip on the expedition 8.

This bag is not for boating but for mountain biking and snowboarding, although if this design is successful then perhaps the next one will be RIB specific
Well may as well make a good all rounder. The zip on the dryzone bags are the same as a dry suit zip. You just need a water proof material (any spare hypalon? )
For on your bike or board have you thought about the sling shot idea? Goes from your back to your front with one swoop. Very easy to copy the design.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKL-4hIwWoU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKL-4hIwWoU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 24 December 2009, 18:02   #5

My experience of those dryzone zips is that they are really hard to pull, takes 2 hands and a fair amount of welly. My design will be a traditional backpack but will have a harness more capable of dealing with the rigours of bouncing around on a bike. A low, side entry for the camera will make it similar to the slingshot idea. Whether I actually start this or not I don't know but I would like to at least find suppliers of all the materials!