Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Sunday 6th Feb - Yarmouth Nacho Run

Hi All
Anyone interested in coming out this Sunday (6th Feb) for a Nacho Run to the Wheatsheaf in Yarmouth?
It's meant to be a bit breezy (South Westerly F5, gusting 7) but not too cold.
I'm aiming to get there from Southampton for about 12.30.
Trev
Old 04 February 2011, 11:56   #2

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: Shackleton
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Trevor

Could be up for this, nice bit of weather to try!

Will post later once crew confirmed.

Be good to catch up again.
Old 04 February 2011, 19:26   #3
RIBnet supporter

I'm looking forward to it! Should be able to run up close to the IOW to get a bit of shelter on the way there.
Old 05 February 2011, 16:40   #4

Yep, good plan. We popped out today, although windy the sea was pretty flat and easy to open her up to WOT.

Apparently Bramble was gusting F8, certainly didn't feel like that.

Didn't see anything of the Naval exercise due to the low cloud and drizzle, and only saw one other boat out, a couple of yachts with storm sails up.

We'll be coming out of the Itchen about 11.15.
Old 05 February 2011, 17:10   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
if the wind is anything like today, I would think really hard about going.
This morning the wind had a lot of south in it and was not too bad.

However this afternoon we went out from Cowes heading for Yarmouth way and it was way too rough. Coming back was even worse, the wind was a steady 7 with gusts higher, and we were still slightly in the lee of the Island.

A few degrees shift in the wind will make a huge difference in the sea state, and we cant rely on the wind will staying in the same direction all day.

Dont get fooled by leaving in the lea of land and get stuck later.

Anyway your all big enough and ugly enough to make you own decisions/errors
Old 05 February 2011, 20:45   #6
RIBnet supporter

I think the wind is due to drop a bit tomorrow, so hopefully it won't be too bad. If it is we'll lunch in Cowes, or if it's really bad we'll lunch up the Hamble!

We'll be heading out at about the same time from the Itchen as well
If you can, give me a call or text on my mobile when/if you are getting ready, or if you decide against going and we can try and meet up (or not).
Where are you starting from up the Itchen? We're at Saxon Wharf.
Trevor
Old 06 February 2011, 20:25   #7
RIBnet supporter

Well - we made it!
NautiSecrets - it was good to meet up again. It was probably a wise move diverting to Cowes because although our run up to Yarmouth was pretty smooth once we got round the first headland after leaving Cowes, by the time we left Yarmouth the tide had turned so it was a quite exciting roller coaster ride back with wind over tide (ie it was bigger than it was when we crossed the Solent to Cowes, but for a lot longer time!).
Avocet - great to meet again - we monitored your Coastguard reports so know you got back OK!
Conditions like today are what ribs were meant for!
Trev
Old 06 February 2011, 20:48   #8

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Well - we made it!
NautiSecrets - it was good to meet up again. It was probably a wise move diverting to Cowes because although our run up to Yarmouth was pretty smooth once we got round the first headland after leaving Cowes, by the time we left Yarmouth the tide had turned so it was a quite exciting roller coaster ride back with wind over tide (ie it was bigger than it was when we crossed the Solent to Cowes, but for a lot longer time!).
Avocet - great to meet again - we monitored your Coastguard reports so know you got back OK!
Trev
What no vids, you wet the appetite with the thread I was so looking forward to seeing the action!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2011, 06:59   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
What no vids, you wet the appetite with the thread I was so looking forward to seeing the action!
Hmm - you're right of course - I must have a go at fitting a mount for the camera - it's been on my "to do" list for ages!
Old 07 February 2011, 09:38   #10

RIBase
Know how you feel I fitted one of these on recommendation from here very good buy the stud attatchment and you good to go!http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...r-clamp/p10994
Hope it helps
Old 07 February 2011, 16:36   #11

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Trev
Indeed safely back and with no further problems with the engine cutting out, although the problems are to be investigated by Yellow Penguin in Poole this week.

Having only discussed over lunch the fact that the CG take no action in respect of called in passage plans where they receive no notification of safe arrival until such time as they are informed by a third party of a non-return, it was very gratifying to receive a call from Solent CG to enquire as to progress with my return journey. In fact, I was just rounding Hengistbury Head (being the point they had asked me to call in and confirm that all was well). This prompted me to enquire whether they had received a report sighting me from the CG station at Hengistbury. It seems not and their call at that exact moment was purely coincidental.

Quote:
Being solo in the boat, it was hard enough helming and talking to Solent CG in the seas off Hengistbury let alone filming! In any event, I suspect that with the amount of water coming over the boat (even though it's normally very dry) it would have been ruined any non-waterproof camera very quickly!
Old 07 February 2011, 16:59   #12

It was an interesting run! I was concerned that we might flip coming off the crests, engine trimmed in but still.......!

Lunch was a hurried affair, trying to hit HW slack for the run back, which we did..................whew

Good to meet up though, allbeit briefly !
Old 07 February 2011, 17:20   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Indeed safely back and with no further problems with the engine cutting out, although the problems are to be investigated by Yellow Penguin in Poole this week.

Having only discussed over lunch the fact that the CG take no action in respect of called in passage plans where they receive no notification of safe arrival until such time as they are informed by a third party of a non-return, it was very gratifying to receive a call from Solent CG to enquire as to progress with my return journey. In fact, I was just rounding Hengistbury Head (being the point they had asked me to call in and confirm that all was well). This prompted me to enquire whether they had received a report sighting me from the CG station at Hengistbury. It seems not and their call at that exact moment was purely coincidental.

Being solo in the boat, it was hard enough helming and talking to Solent CG in the seas off Hengistbury let alone filming! In any event, I suspect that with the amount of water coming over the boat (even though it's normally very dry) it would have been ruined any non-waterproof camera very quickly!
Sorry Avocet I did not mean to lessen what seemed to be a hard working return home just that you guys nearly always do some camera work and would have been very interested in the conditins and the boats handling. Once again sorry if I for one moment infered that you were there for my enjoyment!!
Regards
B
Old 07 February 2011, 19:00   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Clearly you are all just MAD ( but I wish I was there to video at least )

I sat at Gunwharf for lunch thinkingit must be rough to the west - let alone through Hurst etc .....
Old 07 February 2011, 19:42   #15

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
David

You truely are a hero or mad, maybe both! Had I have known you were going I would have come along to keep you company.
To my knowledge, the Hengistbury Head CG look out is peak summer only. I cannot remember the last time I saw it manned.

Glad you are back and safe
Steve
Old 08 February 2011, 00:56   #16

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
David
To my knowledge, the Hengistbury Head CG look out is peak summer only. I cannot remember the last time I saw it manned.

Glad you are back and safe
Steve
I agree; but when the call came through as I was struggling the breaking waves off the Head it seemed too much of a coincidence! The conversation was, consequentially, a little abrupt and it was only on getting back into the Poole Harbour speed limit that I called up again to confirm a safe return and enquired whether they had had sight of me. I was impressed that I could hold a conversation with Solent CG (at Lee on Solent) from Poole Harbour entrance (when it would normally be Portland CG).

So far as the sea state was concerned, it probably wasn't heroic (as was my rounding of Portland a couple of years ago with family and huge waves!) as I've actually had more uncomfortable similar crossings in much better weather but not with such large waves. Whilst most were on the nose on the return trip, there were regular ones on the beam which really skewed the fall off the top. Ouch - and I'm aching today!

It's a credit to the boat but, as Trevor says, it's what RIBs are made for!

I leave it to you whether the trip was mad (both outward and return journeys called in to the CG and only me at risk) but it was possibly a little reckless to continue the outward leg with an intermittant engine failure. That's being investigated but it looks like a reoccurance of the previous problem of corrosion in the wiring loom which has already once been replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Sorry Avocet..... Once again sorry if I for one moment infered that you were there for my enjoyment!!
Regards
B
Mea culpa: not yours! I didn't mean to sound piqued ..... I meant to excuse the lack of video rather than berate the potential audience. If Pete, Steve, Scurvey Crew (or anyone else, frankly!) wants to come along as photographer, please let me know!

I'm always happy to post future jaunts and Spring is (surely) on its way