Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 06 December 2005, 16:03   #61

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
As I was reading the wellard post I had a vision of us crossing in F3-4 SW with 2Mtr swell getting soaked and chilled to the bone all the way there and back

Shaggy
Old 06 December 2005, 16:19   #62

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
As I was reading the wellard post I had a vision of us crossing in F3-4 SW with 2Mtr swell getting soaked and chilled to the bone all the way there and back

Shaggy
Old 06 December 2005, 16:20   #63

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Thats what water proofs were invented for

If a soaking is likely I will put my wetsuit on under the rest of my gear (still dont own a drysuit)

Bob - what were the cheap suits you bought from tragos like and how much were they...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 16:23   #64

Im still keen to go

Got a wetsuit and off-shore foul weather gear, just dont like getting me face wet

Shaggy
Old 06 December 2005, 16:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Bob - what were the cheap suits you bought from tragos like and how much were they...
They are 'Fladen rescue System Two Piece Floatation suits' and we find them really warm (don't intend to test their floatation ability)
They were about £56.00
Old 06 December 2005, 16:37   #66

KERNOW

yhm
Old 06 December 2005, 21:47   #67

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I had 50 Finnish oil industry survival suits with ful wooly bear linings. Amazing things, I sold 'em all on Ebay.....Drrrrrr. Sorry Guys, They'd have been bloody perfect.
Old 06 December 2005, 22:18   #68

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
I had 50 Finnish oil industry survival suits with ful wooly bear linings. Amazing things, I sold 'em all on Ebay.....Drrrrrr. Sorry Guys, They'd have been bloody perfect.
So that was you! what a nobber you looked in the pic's on ebay in one of those suits, wasn't till I met you that I realised it had nothing to do with the suit
Old 06 December 2005, 22:45   #69

Also have you all checked ur insurance to ensure it covers you for an off-shore passage?

Read an article in RIB International where a lot of standard insurance for motor boats etc. covers for coastal water only!

Has anyone got any way points for PZ to St. Mary’s already before I work em out.

Shaggy
Old 06 December 2005, 23:03   #70

err no - was kinda going to move the cursor round a bit on the GPS and mark some way points where it looked nice. The boat is under cover at the moment - but on Thursday it will be out for its engine service - so I will look at the chart plotter then.

I would like to go out via seven stones and back via wolf rock just for the photo opportunity.

I suggest we have the scenic route and a direct route to hand and decide on the day depending on sea state.
Old 06 December 2005, 23:28   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Also have you all checked ur insurance to ensure it covers you for an off-shore passage?
As far as insurance goes - my policy covers me for "Coastal Waters"

Which is defined as :-

Water within a twelve mile limit of the coastline.
This will also include the passage between two points within the United Kingdom or within Ireland by the most direct route, even though this may take the vessel outside the twelve mile limit, but excluding passages between Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands unless specifically agreed by us in writing.

This is standard cover for anyone who got their insurance with Norwich Union through Porthcawl.
Old 06 December 2005, 23:31   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
So that was you! what a nobber you looked in the pic's on ebay in one of those suits, wasn't till I met you that I realised it had nothing to do with the suit
Wow what an entrance to this thread - straight for the throat - I like it...

Kernow - I take it from your silence in this discussion you are not up for lunch on the Scillies week after Christmas then. Come on you know you want to, 4 boats is better than 3...
Old 07 December 2005, 06:47   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Kernow - I take it from your silence in this discussion you are not up for lunch on the Scillies week after Christmas then.
Oh yes he is...........
Old 07 December 2005, 07:21   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Oh yes he is...........
BOB

Might have been the Guiness talking
Might not have been

Well OK yes I'd love to do it but like some of you depends when (I've a couple of commitments right after Xmas) I'd be ok for a blast over and back on the same day, I can leave it to last minute for a suitable weather window and now I'm running out of excuses
Old 07 December 2005, 10:21   #75

Quote:
Hey! That's rich coming from Sonic the Hedgehog!! .So are you in on this trip Sonic? You gonna take yours, or join Bob aboard "Fag end"?
Old 07 December 2005, 10:38   #76

Quote:
Hey! That's rich coming from Sonic the Hedgehog!! .So are you in on this trip Sonic? You gonna take yours, or join Bob aboard "Fag end"?

I MAY be up for this trip, if so It'll be on Blister, possibly with a son or 2, are you gonna be using 'Barn to be wild?'

I nearly bought one of those suits
Old 09 December 2005, 18:24   #77

Quote:

I MAY be up for this trip, if so It'll be on Blister, possibly with a son or 2, are you gonna be using 'Barn to be wild?'

I nearly bought one of those suits
Thought I might start prepping her for the trip this weekend. I'm a bit worried about going up there as Roland and his mates may have eaten it!
Old 09 December 2005, 18:37   #78

Quote:
Thought I might start prepping her for the trip this weekend. I'm a bit worried about going up there as Roland and his mates may have eaten it!
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12344 looks like fine weather for de-winterising
Old 15 December 2005, 23:58   #79

Town: nr Truro
Boat name: Cub
Make: Osprey
Engine: OB 90
Memories of a summer trip to the Scillies

Hi Roy,

There is an outside chance that I can do this trip, but I'll wait to my partner is in a good mood to ask.

Reading the thread took me back to a Scillies trip in the summer, of which a bit more about......

I went over to the Scillies in June for a weeks holiday - partner and child flew, I went in my Osprey with a friend.

Left PZ early AM, Parked car and trailer at heliport and had a nice 15 min walk back to the slip. Had a good run over in 1.30mins with a F3 and choppy swell from NE - GPS reckoned we were doing 20 - 23 knots most of the way.

Had a few hard landings and got wet (thank god for the dry suit).

Coming back a week later was a different kettle of fish, and we were close to postponing. Luckily got a weather window in the morning on the day we wanted to leave, but this closed about an hour after we got back to PZ when we were safely in the sailing club bar having a well earned pint or two.

Anyway, for the trip back we had a good F5 SW with a long deep swell to match and some good old fashioned poor visibility just for a laugh. Just after longships we thought we'd try to go into the swell and wind to see what it would have been like had we had to abort and head back to St Marys - all I can say is that I was glad we didn't have to do this - hell!!!

Off longships most of the swells were a good 4m trough to peak - again thank god for drysuits!

Our trip back took 1.45 mins, with the GPS reckoning our speed of 18 to 21 knots. When we headed into the swell and wind we had to drop our speed to 8 - 9 knots.

Important lesson learnt - if the wind and swell are with you, try to turn back early on into your trip and see what it is like so you can make a judgement call on your options.

The mariner 90hp 2 stroke used approx 38 litres going over and 45 coming back. We had 125 litres on board - why so much ? Fuel is real expensive on St Marys and a bit of backup is always good.

Had to moor in the harbour, but thankfully only had to swim in to the harbour wall once.

With regards to the comment in a much earlier post about being able to see land all the way, our experience was very different - we had about 20 mins of just open rolling sea and grey sky. It makes you feel real small and insignificant... and then you see a container ship :-)

If I can't make it, have fun.

I'll try and dig out my crib sheet with my waypoints on for you, but may not get that to you until after 22nd,

regards
chris

PS: 1st weekend in May 2006 is Cornish Pilot gig champs on Scillies - the busiest weekend of the year.
CrackyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 06:12   #80

Blimey! Thats made us feel a lot better about going in the winter! Your point re. not seeing land was on account of poor viz. A mile off shore in poor viz and you wont see land. Interesting the amount of fuel used. I think I may be strapping abit of spare onboard.