Old 09 August 2017, 16:56   #1

Town: Trearddur Bay
Boat name: Myles Aweigh
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo inboard diesel
RIBase
Planning a round uk trip june 2018

I am interested in planning a round uk trip in June 2018 for a kids charity,I am open to any advice or comments and are looking for any other people fancying the idea I would ideally like at least another two boats or any local people to join us to do part legs with local experience ,I plan to start from Holyhead if I can get a few interested parties ,I will be doing it in a 8.75 scorpion with a KAD 300 inboard and would like to think I could do around 250 miles a day if weather is kind to us, I don't want to beat any records and want to enjoy it, any comments or advise would be appreciated, this is in its very early stages at the moment
Old 09 August 2017, 18:24   #2

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
We could be up for parts, although perhaps not all of this - 6.8m RibCraft 225 opti. Let us know how you're plans go.
Old 09 August 2017, 18:34   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
I will be doing it in a 8.75 scorpion with a KAD 300 inboard and would like to think I could do around 250 miles a day if weather is kind to us, I don't want to beat any records
Nice boat for it. 250 miles is a fair stretch - what do you normally cover in a solid day's cruising? No records - you'd need to be doing an average of 40-50kts...
Old 09 August 2017, 18:54   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Assuming a 25 kt average and bearing in mind you need to refuel both the boat and yourself, I would guess a six hour day or 150 miles would be a more realistic average particularly with a bit of faffing around arriving and leaving marina / mooring.
Old 09 August 2017, 19:48   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Nice boat for it. 250 miles is a fair stretch - what do you normally cover in a solid day's cruising? No records - you'd need to be doing an average of 40-50kts...
To be honest only had this boat for about 2 months so not really had a solid days cruising in it yet just been getting confidence in it
Old 09 August 2017, 19:54   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Assuming a 25 kt average and bearing in mind you need to refuel both the boat and yourself, I would guess a six hour day or 150 miles would be a more realistic average particularly with a bit of faffing around arriving and leaving marina / mooring.
The boat is comtable at 38 Kt at 3000 rpm weather permitting you may be right about the 6 hour depends on what boats go and weather thanks for the reply and I need to get fitter at the moment
Old 09 August 2017, 19:58   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
^

For the non-record breaking stuff - I'd concur 100%

This has been my personal experience - six hours burning, 150 Nm is a decent day. 200Nm is achievable, but IMO would require excellent conditions and a ground crew to deal with the logistics.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:04   #8
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
GuyC has it spot on, to do a 25kn average would be the normal in good weather conditions. I have done some great long-distance RIB trips, last week in May 1st week in June ( 7mtr rib ) but with the gulf stream sitting so far south, a round UK would be hellish given the windy conditions we are now getting. Have a look at Miford Haven to Dublin – Portaferry – Bangor – Ballycastle or Rathlin – Campbeltown or Troon – Portpatrick – Peel Isle of Man – Hollyhead – Miford Haven & add in a few days for the ruff stuff.

All the best Callum.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:14   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Stewart View Post
GuyC has it spot on, to do a 25kn average would be the normal in good weather conditions. I have done some great long-distance RIB trips, last week in May 1st week in June ( 7mtr rib ) but with the gulf stream sitting so far south, a round UK would be hellish given the windy conditions we are now getting. Have a look at Miford Haven to Dublin – Portaferry – Bangor – Ballycastle or Rathlin – Campbeltown or Troon – Portpatrick – Peel Isle of Man – Hollyhead – Miford Haven & add in a few days for the ruff stuff.

All the best Callum.
Thanks for the advice , what the roughy distance of that trip
Old 09 August 2017, 20:26   #10

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise, I plan on 25kn, and anything extra is a bonus!

Don't overlook how tired bashing along in a RIB for 6 hours at 25kn+ actually makes you, especially if going solo. A lot of concentration, continual steering/throttle inputs, bracing against waves, navigating, keeping a good look out, etc. When I did my first long trip, that was the thing that most caught me out, and something I hadn't really considered, having only ever previously done 1-2 hour hops before stopping somewhere, usually for lunch!

If solo I find I tend to have a 5min break every hour or so for a drink of water, check the engine compartment, check kit is still where it should be, maybe grab a snack, and just loosen up for a few mins after holding wheel and throttle for so long.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:31   #11
Spammer

Have a look at Miford Haven to Dublin – Portaferry – Bangor – Ballycastle or Rathlin – Campbeltown or Troon – Portpatrick – Peel Isle of Man – Hollyhead – Miford Haven & add in a few days for the ruff stuff.

Its about 600 miles but would give time to stop off for lunch & a pint in more ports !!!

All the best Callum.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:38   #12

Length: 3m +
Quote:
I am interested in planning a round uk trip in June 2018 for a kids charity,
OK Someone needs to say it, so I may as well.

If this is about the charity - you would almost certainly be better donating your fuel and accommodation costs to the charity and staying at home for the time.

How will you fund fuel? Accommodation? Food? Berthing? etc. You may think you could persuade people to donate these to you. But there are loads of people (well a few) doing this sort of thing each year, all competing for the same sponsorship/donation etc. Without wanting to sound a complete winger - driving 150-250mile stretches per day in a 30foot boat doesn't sound anything like as challenging as the guys swimming round, paddling round etc. While I don't think people have crossed the Atlantic in a 30foot open Rib, they have sailed across and they have rowed across in smaller... ...so what makes your challenge stand out? What makes people / business want to sponsor you?

Quote:
I am open to any advice or comments and are looking for any other people fancying the idea I would ideally like at least another two boats
Why? Because you aren't experienced enough to do the journey alone? You may want to check out: RIBnet Forums - Announcements in Forum : Upcoming RIB cruises the general advice is that people taking part in these sort of ventures need to be self sufficient. That's not to say you shouldn't want friends, but if you didn't have any friends for the challenge would you be OK to do it? Of course that makes it a bigger personal challenge?

Quote:
would like to think I could do around 250 miles a day if weather is kind to us,
So the others have said 250 miles is ambitious. Planning this kind of venture based on kind weather seems foolish. You will still be looking at 10 days of journeys. When did you get 10 days of ideal weather? Add to that:
* If you have others coming they will be on different timetables / commitments to yourself. You decide to wait for 2 days for nasty weather to clear, but they cant - you are now alone.
* If you can't do 250miles because of weather and only make 100miles what are you doing about accommodation that night and then the following night when there is 350miles to catch up...
* Consider Lay Days in the plan to allow catch ups, to allow repairs etc.

Quote:
To be honest only had this boat for about 2 months so not really had a solid days cruising in it yet just been getting confidence in it
You almost certainly need to do a distance close to the max leg you are planning. You need to feel how you will feel the next morning when you have to get back in the RIB and do it all again...
Old 09 August 2017, 20:53   #13

RIBase
Thanks for the advice , i omit my experience of long distance is limited ,I am hoping for a min of 3 boats
Old 09 August 2017, 20:54   #14
Spammer

If I was Blackadder I would start with a trip like my one listed. A take on it - Blackadder will be paying all boating costs then ask for sponsors to donate to a leg or £1 pound for the legs complete say 6/7 legs at £1 = £6/7 to the charity HAPPY DAYS !!! Would be great to give ½ to the RNLI.

All the best Callum.
Old 09 August 2017, 22:30   #15

RIBase
I must thank everybody for the various comments I must add that I want to undertake it you two reasons firstly to tick a box I have always wanted to do , secondary while challenging myself to big task it will raise money for a worthy course , I will not ask for any sponsorship for any of the trip cost ,all sponsors monies raised will all go to charity, the reason I asked for comments was to learn off other people's experiences , best places to stop and finding fuel ,I am not a novice to boating just this type of distance in a short time ,and in some waters and areas I am unfamiliar with and was after local knowledge, the reason for another boat was more for safety than anything else ,I would still like to hear any comments, thanks
Old 10 August 2017, 07:31   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
I would like to offer some advice on this trip with planning.
I have done this 3 times now (in part), in an 9.75 and 8.75 Scorpions, however, I don't want to clutter up this forum.
If you want to share your e-mail address with me I will help you with planning your route, fuel advice and stopovers, food etc.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:43   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I would like to offer some advice on this trip with planning.
I have done this 3 times now (in part), in an 9.75 and 8.75 Scorpions, however, I don't want to clutter up this forum.
If you want to share your e-mail address with me I will help you with planning your route, fuel advice and stopovers, food etc.
Hi Brian thanks advice would be appreciated my email is
mark@ventilair.co.uk
Old 04 October 2017, 09:41   #18

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
What's the latest on this expedition? Is it coming along?
😀🤔😏
Old 04 October 2017, 10:42   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Well, I have done some initial planning and passed details of that to them. I guess that the intended participants (there are two so far-one diesel and one petrol boat) want to let the winter settle in before they get too excited.
Let's face it it is a far from a knee-jerk decision. Best part of two weeks precious holiday time and several thousand pounds of cash will be expended on this....?
Maybe we wont hear much more until next spring.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2017, 18:07   #20

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Do you consider land support ?
The diesel RIB will get at any marina fuel but you will have issues with petrol - especially round Scotland & at the east coast .