Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 12 August 2013, 09:39   #341

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Reports in of some "entertaining" approach and berthing at the Gazelle slip on Sat of a number of RIBS. The words "faffing" "indecision" and "meal of it" were also used by a number of locals who found the spectacle of great amusement whilst having a drink!

Which side? Alongside? Tied separately? All together in a raft? That'll do.

ROFL
Old 12 August 2013, 09:46   #342

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Linda View Post
some more
Nice pic of the big Air-Craft rib there Tim
Old 12 August 2013, 11:26   #343

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Reports in of some "entertaining" approach and berthing at the Gazelle slip on Sat of a number of RIBS. The words "faffing" "indecision" and "meal of it" were also used by a number of locals who found the spectacle of great amusement whilst having a drink!

Which side? Alongside? Tied separately? All together in a raft? That'll do.

ROFL
LOL WELL we normaly use that yellow cardinal as a point to come in but in the last year it has moved 6 ft oooops sorry thats your rib is it not humber
Old 12 August 2013, 11:43   #344

Quote:

LOL WELL we normaly use that yellow cardinal as a point to come in but in the last year it has moved 6 ft oooops sorry thats your rib is it not humber

Indeed, hopefully getting out this week, heading down the 55 in an hour! Whoop.
Old 12 August 2013, 13:44   #345

RIBase
hope you have a great time , humber
Old 12 August 2013, 19:03   #346

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
my last post

firstly, a thank you to everyone that helped me through the last eighteen months or so, bowel cancer is a bugger, the op was no better but 6 months of chemo was the hardest to handle. anyway, enough of that crap.
last saturday was the Meolfre Lifeboat day, and a number of us decided on another annual cruise setting of from Ty Calch at Caernarfon, through the menai straits, past puffin island and over to moelfre, approx 25 miles each way, we also collected a couple more ribs on the way. after various posts I said I would launch around 10'ish, mainly as I didn't want a mad thrash to moelfre as i'm just not upto it, most seemed to agree 10'ish was ok. so saturday came, i think i did launch around 10, then waited on the water till the last rib was launched, around 11'ish, seems that for some a 10'ish launch arriving at the slip anytime after 10, but heyho, it's not an organised cruise, there is no leader etc etc. so we eventually set off around 11'ish and head for the straits, picking nugent up at port dinorwic. i thought a short stop in the shelter of puffin island would be a good idea, to let everyone catch up and get their breath back before heading across to moelfre, a few of us did head over to puffin but some set off straight for moelfre, again not an organised cruise so no probs. when we arrived at moelfre there was plenty going on as usual, i was a bit knackered, the chemo is still taking its toll, so i sat back, poured a coffee n chilled out, watching the fun from a safe distance. i was a bit taken aback when two people accused me of not waiting for everyone to catch up, a bit off i thought as i didn't organise anything on the day. so carried on with me coffee, tucked into my lunch and thought i'll just keep out of the way, take a few photos and that would do me. a few of us had thought abought going round the island as moelfre is approx 1/3rd distance, but the wind was a touch fresh, i for one wasn't upto another day out like we had a few months back, so the general consensus was head back to the gazelle for a pint. before we set off, nat rang me to say she had just launched, but was having a few engines problems, so i headed over to find her, there seemed to be a engine warning bleeping away, but a few restarts seemed to cure it and she was back on yhe go, so all happy there, she came over to say hello to a few of the others, then we set off to the gazelle for a pint, agreeing on a stop at puffin island to re-group. on the way to puffin island i missjudged a wave and landed very heavily, i was winded but also worried i had done something else, still another op to go to put my plumbing back together. i backed off and continued on to puffin island to catch up with the others, as i approached puffin island i spotted the others setting off for the gazelle, at this point i lost a bit of enthusiasm and slowed right down, no point in making things any worse, so i just carried on back to the straits and caernarfon. i passed the gazelle but decided against trying to stop, i didn't feel up to trying to land and tie the rib up, took me a while to get back to caernarfon where the lads helped me recover the rib very quickly, which was much appreciated at the time. anyway, once back on dry land i was feeling very tired and sad that what had promised to be a good day out had been spoilt, i was disappointed that nobody had come back to see if i was ok and just left me on my own. i had taken the decision some time ago that i didn't want to be slowing others down, so had not gone along on some trips such as the recent cruise over to ireland as i wasn't confident i was upto it healthwise, but a short trip to moelfre was i thought a reasonable trip for me. anyway, i guess a hard lesson learnt on my side, i now know that i may as well cruise on my own then it's up to me to decide what i can and can't do, i also know that there's not much point in my joining any more ribnet trips, i don't want to slow others down. so, despite the good times we've had the last couple of years, last weekend spoilt it for me, so i've decided that ribnet is no longer for me, hence the title my last post. i wont be back, no point in looking back, i need to concentrate on the future, my next and hopefully last op, and next season on the rib
Old 12 August 2013, 20:01   #347

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Wow wow wow Chris we don't leave folk behind its usually me that's at the back of the pack don't let one bad weekend spoil it .
Old 12 August 2013, 20:12   #348

RIBase
TAKE 3 - this is the bloody third time I'm typing this out. yes we all know Sat was a c**k up as we also sat on the water waiting for everyone to launch and the next moment everyone was gone, not a problem as Moelfre was just around the corner, and we caught up very soon.

I noticed in Moelfre you wanted to be left alone so the normal banter was not proceeded, we can only imagine what you are going through so that is why you got left alone there. I am honestly sorry that you think you are holding us back, but that has nothing to do with you, just replace that Honda engine with an etec. another reason for leaving you there is the Chris caton I know, and drank with the night before, you can drop him off in the middle if the Atlantic and he will find his way home. So personally buddy I don't care if I strap you to a roof rack, you are coming out.

Speak to you soon and see you at the weekend
Old 12 August 2013, 20:20   #349

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Chris

It's been a hard year or more for you sir, do not let a bad run / weekend out ,,, spoil the future years to come, it did sound a bit disorganised me and DM sat on the straits for a good hour awaiting you guys, was bored but also was looking forward to travelling in company and meeting others to hoot,

Dave stopped on many occasions to check others where following as the progression did sepperate at times, we had a few boats come past , and checking we was ok, as we was stood up,

I am with Tim, we will find your address and kid nap you if need be, you will be back out !
Old 12 August 2013, 20:35   #350

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Orca
Engine: 200hp Honda
Hey Big fella, get a grip will yeh! Saturday was my first run out with the crowd and yes, it was pretty clear to me that there where no 'battle plans', I was expecting the front running boats to wait once we got to gallows point, but it seemed everyone was just going for it the best they could. Moelfre was chaos, and I noticed members here there and everywhere, Lifeboat boys telling everyone to stay back etc. I spoke with you just after you'd helped Nat and we agreed we where leaving for the Gazelle, I couldn't keep up with you and just set myself a pace the Boat was happy with, I saw you heading to go around Puffin but I decided to take the inside track to try and make some ground, shortly after docking I saw you cruiseing past and just thought you'd decided to press on home, you had kind of kept yourself to yourself most of the day. I cant begin to imagine what you've been through, but hold the utmost respect for you the way you've hung in there so far, you had a brilliant week down here in July and somehow managed to get out everyday! don't chuck the towel in yet fella, your very well thought of up here, and are a great ambassador for our sport. C.
Old 12 August 2013, 20:39   #351

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Chris

We've never met but I've read and enjoyed many of your posts on here whilst researching the world of RIBs and am looking forward to meeting you, along with a lot of other guys and gals, out on the water in the near future.

I cannot begin to imagine the emotional and physical demands of dealing with cancer but your fortitude (and common sense) is evident in your posts and an indefatigable spirit clearly shines brightly....

We don't live a million miles apart and I very much look forward to making your acquaintance around the Menai Straits in the not too distant future.

All the very best for your continuing recovery.
Old 12 August 2013, 20:48   #352

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Chris, don't be a daft bugger, I understand how you are feeling after Saturday, I kind of felt the same thing really, every man for himself kind of thing. It is in no way a reflection on yourself as I was also left behind at moelfre and didn't even know people had set off back for the gazelle. I stayed behind for a couple more hours after I realised everyone had gone back and had a great day giving kids free runs out in the boat!!! Nothing unusual there as christycalch calls me glan gwna cruises ;-) anyway, it is great to be out on the water with you and I for one certainly feel more comfortable being out when I know a few others from ty catch are out, so hang on in there and don't let one day out spoil it for you. It did feel like wacky races at times and my mate commented that everyone seemed to want to be first there!! See you soon mate
Old 12 August 2013, 21:17   #353

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
It's always the same when there's so many people going to these things, Look at the Anglesey cruise far to many ribs to stick together it's chaos,
That's why a few of us go round together so if you like your more than welcome to join the dark side and become a BS member
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 21:29   #354

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Well Chris I have read your post over and over again and can't fathom out why you want to cut us all short just because of a disorganised cruise and a couple of remarks

As you can see from all the replies from your RIBnet mates... your not alone we are all here for you .... just a quick thought... don't cut us all out of your life cos of a bad day at Black Rock, and remember.... We have got feeling as well ......
so keep us in your life

Your a valued member on here and a good and reliable ribbing mate too Stay with us.
Old 12 August 2013, 21:33   #355

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Chris: I am sorry that your day was not as enjoyable as ours. I now feel deflated and disappointed for you. On the couple of days we have been out together I have really appreciated your support. The thoughtfulness shown by you on the few occasions I have met you is an attribute not shown by everyone.

I now know that I can't keep up with the "big boys" - it is just too uncomfortable! Having had the experience of going round Anglesey with Cookie (someone else who has given me support via Ribnet) I knew we were not in a position to do it on Saturday. We made our own decision to return the way we came and as you know we were perhaps the first to leave (and last to arrive at the pub!)

I am sorry that I was not there to give you the support you have shown to others.

Hope to see you on the Straits.

Nick and Helen
Old 13 August 2013, 06:17   #356

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Chris,

I agree with Tony T. The round Anglesey was chaos due to the number of boats, which also made it great. However we just buddied up with similarly paced boats and kept an eye out for one another, I'm sure those on Saturday were looking out for you.

I didn't go to the life boat day, but would seem a shame if just one average day, stops your valued contribution to rib.net and all the the other great days out you'll have had.

I hope you reconsider, and that any injury sustained quickly heels, and I look forward to seeing you at the Ty Coch or Pilots Cove, and I'd love it if you could show me Bardsey.

All the best.

Will

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 07:01   #357

Chris, hope you are ok and the knock hasn't set you back physically. Sorry to hear the thread I started ended badly. That's not to say if I was there I'd have made any difference, but the posts I've read so far point towards a group of people who would miss your presence and would never have intentionally left you.

The "cruise" days are always difficult as some want to do one thing and others another, including timings. Some are a little late, others just think they'll launch late to miss the rush then catch up, but those on the water think they should wait, as you did.

As for joining the Black Shadow team, it can't be that bad!
Old 13 August 2013, 11:33   #358

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
if anybody want some of these photos please pm me your e mail address and I will send it to you dot worry Mr ty calch your I will print out for you ,
I would but no pics of our boat
Old 13 August 2013, 12:12   #359

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Hey Chris I agree with what the others say, don't let one day outweigh all the others.

From my perspective this is what I've learned:

Its a huge bonus to have knowlegeable folk around when you're in the water and here on the forum. I think many folk would not attempt some of the cruises like Moelfre without someone like yourself to guide through the navigation hazards, like the Swellies etc.

For the bigger cruises like Ireland etc, there is more planning with nominated lead boats and sweeper boats etc. This isn't really happening with the "shorter" trips.

Personally I think it would be useful to try and agree a cruising speed on the thread, or ask for a volounteer pace boat maybe?

The issue will always be that some can go faster than others, and may not want to wait. The answer is either set way points so that we can all re group, or perhaps as I say an agreed pace boat, so that the ones in front can loop back if they want and the ones that are slower can stay in contact.

I think it was on the Round Ireland thread where someone, (Paul Glatzel?) said, it can take a day for boats to work out how to stay together as a group. Its always going to be a challenge unless we try and learn and you have far too much experience for us to not need you, I was going to say Master Yoda, but perhaps not eh
Old 13 August 2013, 12:27   #360

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hutcheon View Post
I would but no pics of our boat
JEFF AT YOU AGE I WONDER WHAT PHOTOS YOU WANT