Old 09 July 2004, 21:59   #1

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Ferry slipway,Dartmouth

I,m off to sunny(I hope) devon in august,I plan to launch at the ferry slipway and leave the boat in the Dart marina.
Does anyone have experience of the ferry slipway particularly regarding launching at low states of tide(front wheel drive car)and dodging the ferry-how long before you are in the way?
Also any other good tips for this area,particularly regarding spots for inflatable towing,sandy beaches(where and any laws re approaching) and how far to salcombe/torquay etc.
Also good eateries/pubs approachable from the water and hazards long the coast-overfalls rocks etc.
I,ve got a plotter and charts but after a bit of local knowledge...
Old 10 July 2004, 08:29   #2

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Talk to me on monday at the Churchillian. We had a land based holiday in the South Hams in June.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:35   #3

Tim
You should be OK on the Higher Ferry Slip at low water. Its not too steep and wide enough to approach at a slight angle, especially if you are launching on a rising tide, ie the chain ferry is pushed up river slightly.

Try "Blackpool Beach" west out of the enterance to Dartmouth, just a couple of miles, sandy, cafe etc.

Nice slow trip up the river Dart (can get all the way to Totnes on the tide) to Dittisham and lunch in the Pub by the water thier - One nav concideration - in the middle of the river halfway up the RED channel marker is well over to starboard and its on a big rock!!! it is a port marker so move well over to the right when going up river.

Have a nice time
Andy
andy@spareribs.info
Old 10 July 2004, 11:35   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Timboli
Have a look at www.biboa.com
Cruising
S/W Cruise
Here you will find a great deal of local info related to the Cruise I organise in the area for biboa. This is on the "About" page.
On the "Waypoints" page you will find all the distances and bearings.

Torquay (Torbay, Brixham etc) is about 13 miles away.
PM me direct if you want some more detailed info. I have always wondered about trailer parking with your car at Datmouth. Perhaps you will be able to tell me the answer!

I can recommend an "outside" Italian type place for breakfast/brunch in Dartmouth. It is in the backstreet near where you moor up on the pontoon at "the Russian gun" (not a pub, but a Russian gun!) by the Lower Ferry. The cafe is called something like Quo Vadis or something, can never remember its name-but it's famous locally.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:23   #5
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
HI there,
I`ve used the ferry slipway and the Dart Marina Slipway.
The mairna one has a drop at the end and dry until it is completely unusable. The Dart Marina Hotel do not like you parking, pausing, or laucnhing a boat from there. The nearest car park is five mins walk but they want double price for parking a trailer. The Ferry Slip is pretty good. Just watch out when the ferry is on his way in as he wont stop for nothing! The concrete is in good condition and I did not see any drops or rocks. You can obviously park in the same place. We did not get got for any launching fees at either but it was December!

Have you thought about Salcombe?

Chris
Old 10 July 2004, 12:38   #6
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Try "Blackpool Beach" west out of the enterance to Dartmouth, just a couple of miles, sandy, cafe etc.
I think Blackpool sands is a private (have to pay to go on it) beach.

We have used Slapton sands a few times with the dive club. The water is deep so you can drive the boat right up to the beach. There are no speed restrictions so you can tow skiers or inflatables and there is a pub in the middle.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:55   #7
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I had thought about Slapton myself but my ex said avoid it cause lots of cars get stuck. Perhaps its OK if you have a 4x4?

Plus it is quite a beautiful bay to play in!

There is a very good Pub up the road called the Tradesman in Stokenham. Tucked away on the Chillington Road. Much better than the Slapton Pub which gets VERY busy with tourists. Some nice guest beers too!

Chris.
Old 10 July 2004, 13:23   #8

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
You only have to pay to use Blackpool beach if you arrive by car. there is nothing to stop you arriving by boat just keep to the right as you look at the beach as the left is boyed off for swimmers. It's not actually sand but very fine gravel makes the water nice and clear but difficult to get an anchor to take, it drops of very steep so you can take the boat right to the beach to drop people off.
There are also two coves just between Blackpool and Slapton which are only accessable by boat which are less crowded than the main areas but no facilities.
If you have kids be aware that the start of Slapton is a nudist beach.

It's a great area for boating had some smashing days around there hope you bring some sun with you as the last few weeks have been very dissapointing.

When you come in and out of Dartmouth the castle used to be the 5knot start for the river but I think the harbour authority are trying to push it out to the channel bouy, I have seen people getting stopped for speeding in the outer area this year but don't know exactly the rules at the moment.

Hope you have a good time might see you out there or in Torbay.
Old 10 July 2004, 18:28   #9

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Correct about the speed limit. I thas been the outer buoys for quite a long time. If you look at the Ad charts you can clearly see the habour limit and that is the end of the 5 kn limit.
The Higer Ferry Slip isnot very steep so you may need to use a rope between your car and trailer to enable you to get into the water far enough. It is also not very wide so beware when reversing and trailers going off the side is not unheard of as ther is no curb or barrier. There is normally a queue as only 1 person can launch at a time and the ferry's wash causes most boats being lauched to move in all sorts of directions. Watch out for the weed and slime from about 1/2 tide as the slip gets very slippery!!

Have you thought of Brixham? Wide concrete slip, steep enough to keep car onto trailer, parking for car and trailer is right there as is the MDL Marina in Brixham. Dart Marina is not the cheapest!

Let me know if you would like any other info.

Hi TQ Boater, don't think we have met?

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2004, 21:19   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Al Fresco...........that's the name!
Alzheimers creeping on fast.
Old 10 July 2004, 21:22   #11
tue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I had thought about Slapton myself but my ex said avoid it cause lots of cars get stuck. Perhaps its OK if you have a 4x4?
Chris.
I didn't mean to launch from. I should think even a 4x4 would get stuck on the way out. But as place to visit by boat for the day. With pub and deep water up to the beach you can run in and out and if people want can go to the pub or sit on the beach whilst others play with skis and inflatables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hickman
Yes welcome. Not a Birchell marine Bayliner by any chance ?
Old 10 July 2004, 22:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tue
Yes welcome. Not a Birchell marine Bayliner by any chance ?
Where else would I take it when it breaks
They know them inside out and have managed to sort all my problems so far.

Quote:
Hi David, I think I've seen your boat around the bay, were you giving jet ski lessoons a few weeks ago on Paig'n slip ?
Used to own the boat Nookie upto last June if you know her, then moved to a Bayliner but I guess they all look the same !!

Being a hard boater I've not had much to say here but have enjoyed reading posts for a while now.
Old 11 July 2004, 08:34   #13

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Thanks

Thanks for the information so far,Brixhm slip sounds interesting although we do want to spend part of the holiday on the Dart,especially if its windy.
The beaches sound good especially from my sons point of view.
I,m bit worried about the launch/recovery as I havent launched with the citroen before,and I dont want to take the cherokee down to devon-15 mpg and not as much space-so really want a good slip at high water.
Thanks for pointers re pubs and eating places.
I can store the trailer where I am staying so thats not too much of a worry.
Old 11 July 2004, 09:33   #14

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
just launch near high tide its an easy place to launch from even 3hrs either side of low tide is quite safe as long as yuo look out for the drop at the end and the ferry on a falling tide
Old 11 July 2004, 11:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboli
I,m bit worried about the launch/recovery as I havent launched with the citroen before,and I dont want to take the cherokee down to devon-15 mpg and not as much space-so really want a good slip at high water.
If your worried when you arrive to launch or recover with the car give me a shout if i'm able (not working) I'll come down and hitch it to mine for you (4x4 Frontier) it's only 15-20min to Dartmouth for me. 10min Paignton or Brixham slipways.

It's a nice day on the Dart with plenty to look at, I used to boat out of there on a friends Boston Whaler before I got my own boat we still regularly make the journey round to spend the day there.
I think it's a shame they closed the Gunfileds as that was a nice place to go for dinner. The pub at Dittisham is nice for a stop and you can keep an eye on the boat while there. You might also look at going round Greenaway gardens on the other side for a few hours.
Not sure what happy Frank will charge you for landing though as he makes it up on the spot !!
Old 11 July 2004, 11:16   #16
tue

a bit more info on Brixhm slip here

I haven't got round to adding any from Dartmouth yet. I have used the ferry slip once at work and its such a shallow slip I don't think you have any problems getting stuck. I've seen Ford fiesta 1.1's launching boats there
Old 11 July 2004, 11:54   #17

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
August

Hi

We are going to be in the area from 7th to 21st August.

We are launching at Paignton, and have a reserved berth locally to save constant launch and recovery - but will keep the trailer handy in case we fancy moving down the coast for a day or two.

We were in dartmouth a couple of weeks ago, and looked at the slips. The lower ferry slip seems a little hard to get at towing - but the upper one is a little (not much) better.

We asked at the Marina about berths and trailer storage, but they werent interested.

If you are around the same dates as us and fancy hooking up for a cruise or two let us know

Graeme & Sian
Old 11 July 2004, 17:06   #18

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
[QUOTE=CJL] HI there,
I`ve used the ferry slipway and the Dart Marina Slipway.

I am afraid you won't have much luck at Dart Marina. They have just filled in both of their slipways, and turned them into car parking areas as part of the re-development in which they are building some 30 or 40 waterfront homes. There is also no boat storage available at all.

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2004, 20:38   #19

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
I think this is looking to be more like a get together for a number of us in August either in Torbay or Dartmouth. Anyone else interested?

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2004, 21:30   #20

Quote:
I think this is looking to be more like a get together for a number of us in August either in Torbay or Dartmouth. Anyone else interested?
Will it just be ribs or can a hard boater join in ?