Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Just checked local forecast.
AM Westerly 4-5 = 18-24 MPH
PM Westerly 3-4 = 12-17 MPH

It will be coming off land but it will be mighty lumpy out there, especially in the morning. I don't want to cancel but I think from the safety aspect it would be better to leave it until the new year or over the Christmas period.
I would hate to see a thread about an accident of the East Coast. What does everbody else think??. My Mobile is 07966 541171
Old 17 December 2004, 16:55   #82

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Good call Wayne. We prefer to err on the side of caution! Really looking forward to doing it another time though!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2004, 17:05   #83

Town: Ipswich
Weather Forecast Not Good

Bad news I'm afraid but due to the weather forecast a I think it would be better if we cancel tomorrow rather than somebody ending up in the water. I would hate something to happen when it was me who organised the cruise. I hope everbody will see this in time, but to be on the safe side if you have the contact numbers for anyone who was coming could you give them a call and let them know.I have told Louise and I will let Daniel TD5 and Peter know.
Old 17 December 2004, 17:43   #84

Town: Cowes
Boat name: April Blue
Make: Humber 6.5 Extreme
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Thank you Wayne for letting us know. If you are doing something in the new year I would be very interested

Roy Webster
Old 17 December 2004, 18:09   #85

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
O well.
Old 17 December 2004, 18:29   #86

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
We'll go with your decision, Wayne, no problem. We'll be there for the next one.
Old 17 December 2004, 19:10   #87

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
not to worry see you next time

dan
Old 17 December 2004, 19:47   #88

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
well I just got off the train at Manningtree and it was blowing westerly straight down the Stour and cold with it..

At the end of the day you would have been protected in the Orwell but theres a limit on what you can do . I personally dont see it as that dangerous cos you can poke your head out of Harwich harbour where it will give you a good indication of whats about or even before where the Orwell and Stour meet.

Having said all that I now do not have to lug the battery back on the boat or reverse the 8m down the slippery Levington slope at low water so ....
Old 17 December 2004, 19:56   #89

I know what you're saying Phil, as I have been going out from Levington for over 24 years, but if you're travelling hundreds of miles with a 4-5mtr rib in tow and arrive and find the conditions are not suitable I think you would be a bit p-----d off.Better to wait and everybody enjoy the day than go out in what can be dangerous waters at Languard point in a small boat.If I had taken Louise and Richard B out in mine and something had happened you might of got a bit of business.
Old 17 December 2004, 20:05   #90

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
phil

i think waynes right at least three rib would have been under five meters and have over 2 hours drive to get to levington for a bad weather day not worth the risk of a a crap day

dan
Old 17 December 2004, 20:08   #91

Thanks Dan,
I'll let you know if I venture out tomorrow if I made the right call. Just checked forecast again they now say gusts to 37 MPH.
Old 17 December 2004, 20:25   #92

I think you have made the right call as well ;let me tell you it is still blowing some and whether your boat is sub 5 or 8 plus it does not look too pretty for tomorrow;my only point was really to say that you don't need to put it off cos it might be dangerous but put it off cos it 'll be lumpy cold etc etc and as Daniel says whats the point in having a crap day
Old 17 December 2004, 20:29   #93

Do you go out from Harwich area Phil? it would be great to meet up sometime if you fancy a spin.
Old 17 December 2004, 21:06   #94

for the last three years I have berthed at Woolverstone ;I live about 20 minutes away -Higham-I realise my profile is misleading since I work in London and had put it as my base ;all my x channel stuff has been from Woolverstone -the crew prefer to go by sea than by trailer ;prior to that in the late eighties I lived in Luton but kept a boat in Essex Marina on the Crouch.So the East Coast has been the "patch "for a long time

I'd be delighted to partner up some time in the new year -steady cruising with a bit of lunch somewhere is the game.I would be happy to cruise in company even x channel ;the biggest problem is time

A couple of the guys I travel with on the train crew and navigate;even our xmas lunch without boat has a maritme feel ;last year we flew to Newquay and went to Rick Steins for lunch with a trip on the Rock ferry.This year we went to Nice and enjoyed a bit of late Med sun.So I don't go looking for the rough stuff although it has found me a few times but the Humber has proved a capable friend.

I am not intending to renew at Woolverstone next year because quite frankly family commitments do not justify the price; berthing is the easy turn key option and the risk in not renewing is that I won't be bothered to launch even though I can manage it single handed from Levington or Woolverstone if pushed and if the elements are kind .an organised trip is different cos you've made the effort to be there.

Next year or maybe the year after I am looking at keeping the boat in the South of France for a part of the season -preferably early or late season.I will be based in Nice ;a lot of people miss out on this city becaus they head to the more "fashionable" beaches but it is a great 4/5 day destination with great shoppping restaurants etc. and quite apart from the Riviera ,Corsica is supposed to be fantastic and is about 80 miles away. I have been in Nice a lot in the last 8 weeks and it is amazing how you might extend w/e cruising (not crowded or busy) into November /December with blue skys and moderate temperatures. With Sleazy Jet operating year round from Stansted Luton and Gatwick it is a real possibility;any way more of that in later posts
Old 17 December 2004, 21:30   #95

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
france

hi Wayne hope you will join Carole and i at our new gite just outside La Rochelle we hope by the summer to have organised a summer mooring in marina but understand there is quite a waiting list through the proper channels but my brother in law who is area sales manager for sfr feels something could be arranged we have heard this is considerd to be the new cote-d-azur
Old 17 December 2004, 22:25   #96

well mr. no fear are you having a bit of a steffi ?

if I were you try Les Sable D'Olonne although about 35 miles away from LR has a good slip at very reasonable prices and a few vacants (no waiting list) and also gives you the opportunity to go north wheras LR going south is a bit limited non?
Old 18 December 2004, 00:02   #97

Length: no boat
Bradwell Sunday

Since Levington's off, there's a good chance that Phil Davies and I will launch from Bradwell Sunday. Come at your own risk!!
Old 18 December 2004, 01:57   #98

Town: suffolk
Boat name: (Relief) & Blob Mk4
Make: Avon/ILC & Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 40hp/10hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Scott2 Send a message via MSN to Scott2
Well now you've called it off, maybe next time i'll be able to come down and bring the SIB with me, if its welcome as it hasnt got a hull
See Ribsters Also....
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2004, 08:41   #99

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hi Phil .Not at all reading your thread just made me look forward to the better weather and the trips over to our new recent purchase in france.Thanks for the info.We have 4 children so probably keep at the moment to around our intended area to keep travelling time down
Old 18 December 2004, 09:42   #100

apologies no fear- my mistake

there's no doubt you have chosen a beatiful area .I visited Les Sables for a week in 3 different years and cruised around a bit-entering the old port in La Rochelle in my own boat was an experience