JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Phil,
thanks for the Info. I was coming to the conclusion that with short days now the trip to calais would be a bit of a rush in a day.
From what you say Boulogne would be a better option.

Daniel,
with respect to the slipways it sound like Dover should be avoided. Herne bay which I have seen is a good slip or Ramsgate which I have no experience of should be our choices.
From the info above I propose to arrange the trip when we have longer days.

However, let me know when you plan to get out next, and meet up at Herne bay for a blast.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2003, 10:07   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: boulogne calais trip!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mike
have not got the correct cert for vat,where do i get one and can anyone tell me about the number on the boat that daniel mentioned please.
Mike, don't panic...
I've lifted the SSR application form link from Danile's website: http://grayswish.rib.net/useful/SSR.pdf
As for the VAT cert, what you should ideally have is the original VAT receipt for your boat. If you're in the same situation as me, ie 2nd hand boat and no original receipt, just take a copy of your receipt (you did get one, didn't you?) and bluff the French if you need to (tell'em it's a secondhand boat - "bateau d'occasion"). I bet you won't need any paperwork in reality.

Sorted.

Old 26 November 2003, 18:24   #13

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
I think the VAT receipt thing only applies when you return to the UK, and if the boat looks brand new. I could be wrong though. I also think the SSR superseeds it.

I had looked up Calis in the Almanac and we would have a 2.5 - 3hr window to get into the lock and back out on one tide - still possiable this time of year then i think? But better to stay overnight there.

Had also decided Boulogne might be better, although i've never been there - not even in a big boat!

My final conclusion was, however, Dunkerque would be the best place to go "for lunch" especially from Ramsgate area, weather permitting it's only 45nm (all open sea though), they list Petrol (can anyone confirm this) although my Theoretical range is about 200 miles.

What do you think Mike, JCW? What are your fuel ranges?
Old 27 November 2003, 16:30   #14
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Daniel,
Ramsgate - Dunkerque it is then. Do you have any pictures of the slip at Ramsgate? Do I need a licence from Thanet council for launching?

Our Range is theoretically 180Nm in the 5.8 Ribcraft (40 Gallon tank), or the 4.8 gives 100 - 200 miles depending if I carry 2 or 4 five gallon tanks. So the distance is not an issue.
I need to get a SSR for the 5.85 though.

I an unable to make this weekend, however I will come back to you with some dates.

Mike, it would be great if you can come along too

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote