Old 26 October 2008, 22:31   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Clyde XMAS lights run

Hi all,
will start planning shortly for the run up the river to see the sights. Probably late november on a saturday.
I am hoping to find somewhere we can get into in the city for a. a warm up b. a bite and a chinwag and c. something to eat!
The run will be saturday afternoon up river before dark and after the above bite run back down after seeing the lights in the dark.
Its just advance notice for getting your lights on and working etc for the moment
Old 27 October 2008, 01:29   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Sounds good,
Rib should be ready to go, the brother is just fitting the electronics just now and new A-frame has been made.
My brother thinks he will be out on the rigs then so I will need to have a word with my boss to see if I can leave the boat in Great Harbour for a fortnight as the brothers wife wont let me drive her 4x4 and my car is too light to tow the boat!!, anyway whatever happens I should have something sorted (should be good to leave the rib and trailer in the base)

Look forward to meeting you all for a chinwag and a bit of banter.

Graeme
Old 28 October 2008, 16:32   #3
K&S

Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
We will be there.
Will keep eyes peeled for dates and times.
Old 28 October 2008, 19:14   #4

I have been told 29th Nov is a good day for the correct tides. Will confirm this and if OK will make this the date.
I will be in Glasgow in the middle of the month and will get something for a bite and chat organised at the time.
Old 28 October 2008, 19:46   #5

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
We'll be there too.
Old 29 October 2008, 22:10   #6

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon SR4.0
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Sounds grand

V'keen to take part!
Still bit nervous though - would be my first cruise and may have problem with night return as currently have no electrics on boat (manual mariner 30hp) at present but may have "proper" lights rigged up by then (currently using individually powered nav lights).
Will let you know!

Bob.
Old 30 October 2008, 22:23   #7

What sort of speed can you keep up? If you can keep up a reasonable speed I am sure we can keep you right somehow.
Navigationally the Upper Clyde isn't really a problem as it is well bouyed and lit and it is not as if you can get lost once past Dumbarton...........
It really depends on where you intend to launch how difficult navigation will be at night, depending on experience level.
Old 30 October 2008, 22:59   #8

In terms of punting along at a decent lick, suspect Thumper could maintain 20knts - bit unsure as never taken her up river. With regards to launching, I'll have to examine where would be best with regards to range as currently have underconsole 25l tank but would of course carry extra, pos as much as same again in cans stowed in bow.
May be best to launch relatively up river and join the flotilla (or whatever colective term is for RIBs?!) there.

One option to avoid night navigation would be to head up in daylight and for me to return to launch site before dark - partly misses the point of seeing xmas lights but pos prudent given first "cruise"...safe than sorry etc.
Old 30 October 2008, 23:38   #9

I don't think anybody will be going faster than 20 knots in the dark anyway.
I am sure between up we can keep you right.
I am probably going to be picking up Family somewhere, probably Renfrew, although this is not a good place to leave a trailer if you intend to launch this far upriver (although proabably better than Yoker)
Old 30 October 2008, 23:48   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
thumper - I am in a similar boat to you (metaphorically) in that this would be my first night trip. I would like to join in. My gut feel is to launch and recover at the renfrew ferry. If there were two of us then I think we might both feel more comfortable.
Old 31 October 2008, 00:56   #11

Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Renfrew Ferry could be a problem depending on how late we are coming back down the river as they lock the gates now when its not running. Probably to try stop the bampots driving into the river.
I will have another look when I get home(8th Nov) to make sure as I live in Renfrew.

Graeme
Old 31 October 2008, 13:59   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Thumper,

If it's just capacity you are worried about, I (subject to fuel economy test with the new lump ) have a spare 22l tank you could borrow, it's got a Merc "twistlock" connector, but I have a Merc - Yam (with primer) jumper hose you could use if you have a Yam based lump. Also have a Suz tank (33l) which will need an adaptor for the end of the fixed hose.

As for launching, Kip / Largs seem good on paper, apart form all the usual security nonsense, you also are guaranteed a sheltered, lit slip to recover on, and facilities for those whose crew may not want to use the shrubbery! I did wonder about Helensburgh, but I do wonder - that pier late on a Saturday night?

Bruce,
You may have guessed form this that the refit appears to be going vaguely to plan. Will confirm once I've got the electrics all working & the new morse cables arrive. (my first moan about mercs - their unique cable anchoring system!) Cables that came with it are an annoying length - too long to go direct, too short to have a coil up to the engine.....
Old 31 October 2008, 18:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Mac View Post
how late we are coming back down the river
I certainly don't intend to be upriver late at night. I reckon we would be leaving for home by around 4:30 and back recovering by 6pm at the latest. Personally I have 2.5 hrs towing to get home so will not be home before about 9pm.
Its dark by around 4pm just now and probably about 3pm by then so we don't have to hang about till late to see the lights, unless you particularly want to.........
Old 31 October 2008, 18:27   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Mac View Post
Renfrew Ferry could be a problem depending on how late we are coming back down the river as they lock the gates now when its not running.
ferry runs to 21:30 Mon-Sat and 18:30 on sun according to SPT website so possibly OK? Whilst it sounds like fun I don't think my wee boat and me are up to a trip all the way from largs or helensburgh and back in the dark, cold at this time of year, especially as my first night run, and probably on my tod on board... if I could garuntee the weather... but this is winter! As bruce has chosen really low tide to try and avoid debris it does mean that Port Glasgow is out for recovery.
Old 01 November 2008, 00:59   #15

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Thumper,

If it's just capacity you are worried about, I (subject to fuel economy test with the new lump ) have a spare 22l tank you could borrow, it's got a Merc "twistlock" connector, but I have a Merc - Yam (with primer) jumper hose you could use if you have a Yam based lump. Also have a Suz tank (33l) which will need an adaptor for the end of the fixed hose.
Cheers, chum! May take you up on that offer but other option would be to load up with plastic 5l cans of pre-mixed fuel in the bow, although that has the added hassle on ensuring mess-free refueling before leaving the city centre (Never cease to be amazed by the kindness of fellow RIBers, esp as a "newbie" ) By the way, my 30hp manual is a 2stroke Mariner if that helps in terms of connection?
Old 01 November 2008, 01:07   #16

Renfrew launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Whilst it sounds like fun I don't think my wee boat and me are up to a trip all the way from largs or helensburgh and back in the dark, cold at this time of year, especially as my first night run, and probably on my tod on board..
Due to boat size and this being my first night run, suspect a Renfrew launch would better suit myself as you say, Pol'. Again, am likely to have the elder kidlet on board too (hardy but still a potentially whiny 10yr old tomboy)
But am feeling more confident (or less scared ) now I am installing new lights as well as having just got myself a handheld VHF (suspect not a great range but much better to have just in case!).
Old 01 November 2008, 22:04   #17

Thumper,

The tank has one of these:
http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...rs-lines-US-UK

and I have an adaptor hose for one of these on the engine (well, the Yam version of it!):

Problem is that Mariner used both Merc and Yam back then, so (I think) either are possible. Funnily enough the reason I have 3t tanks (had them when I had the Suz 30) was to stop guddlling around mixing fuel whilst afloat......
Old 02 November 2008, 22:10   #18

Fuel line connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Thumper,

The tank has one of these:

and I have an adaptor hose for one of these on the engine (well, the Yam version of it!):

Problem is that Mariner used both Merc and Yam back then, so (I think) either are possible. Funnily enough the reason I have 3t tanks (had them when I had the Suz 30) was to stop guddlling around mixing fuel whilst afloat......
Many thanks for the time & effort uv gone to, PD', I appreciate it
Popped over to boat storage and took the following pics - hope these help

Good news re new nav/allround lights for Clyde cruise - should have all installed & working by this time next week (fingers & eyes crossed...)

Also - apologies to other thread users for getting so detailed within a more general thread - couldn't work out how to attach pics to a PM!

T'bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine connector.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	38593   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose engine end.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	38594   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank end.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	38595  
Old 03 November 2008, 13:26   #19

Thumper,

Thought it might be one of them - I'll bring the adaptor hose.
Old 04 November 2008, 18:06   #20
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
Sounds good, so hopefully should be there ,I ve got spare yam tank ,which I think is the same connection that you have bob, will bring along just in case .
kev