Old 30 July 2018, 21:48   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
We're still planning to go on Thursday or Friday - but are waiting until closer to the time for the weather before comitting to if and when (especially as we'll be camping ).
Old 31 July 2018, 07:28   #22

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
We're still planning to go on Thursday or Friday - but are waiting until closer to the time for the weather before comitting to if and when (especially as we'll be camping ).
Trevor, the forecast looks good for that whole weekend but best to wait till nearer the time for final confirmation
Old 31 July 2018, 14:56   #23

I am of a strong belief that the dress code will be T-shirts & shorts , hats and shades and lots of sun tan lotion.

for the benefit of some especially the overseas members I have attached my route to St Helier Jersey via Alderney . In total appox 105Nm each way

This was done on Google Earth and the starting point is the Needles Isle of Wight

as we will be 2 full days on the Island one day will be to cruise around Jersey and the other Guernsey, Sark & Herm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-07-31 15.42.04.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	126146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-07-31 15.43.48.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	126147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-07-31 15.45.18.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	126148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-07-31 15.46.41.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	126149  
Old 01 August 2018, 16:31   #24

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
As already noted the weathers looking good for this weekend so we’re heading to Alderney Saturday, leaving the Solent fairly early in the morning - if anyone wants to tag along then your more than welcome, cheers Lee 07798 621721
Old 02 August 2018, 05:50   #25

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Might see some of you in Alderney. We’re planning on heading up from Jersey in our motor boat on either Friday or Saturday for the week. Just hope the weather holds for the return crossing.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2018, 08:24   #26

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
As already noted the weathers looking good for this weekend so we’re heading to Alderney Saturday, leaving the Solent fairly early in the morning - if anyone wants to tag along then your more than welcome, cheers Lee 07798 621721
Lee, What time are you leaving? we should leave S,ton drystack @9, then get a spash of fuel in yarmouth.
Old 02 August 2018, 09:41   #27

I am off for the day as well . Meeting up with Lee in Yarmouth and leaving at 7:30 for Alderney
Old 02 August 2018, 10:28   #28

Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Looks like we'll be sailing over on Saturday, but won't be leaving until a bit later as we need to sort out several things first. We might see some of you in Alderney Saturday night or Sunday morning, we'll be the aluminium sailing yacht "Little Wing".

Then heading down to Guernsey on Sunday morning hopefully, and across to Brittany on Monday morning.

I hope everyone has a great trip!
Old 02 August 2018, 21:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
Lee, What time are you leaving? we should leave S,ton drystack @9, then get a spash of fuel in yarmouth.
Evening , as Andre has already posted we’re aiming to leave Yarmouth 7.30am sat, we’ll then get to alderney hopefully at a reasonable hour ( 9.30/10 dep on conditions ) then spend the day on the island, that’s at least the plan hope to see you out there!
Old 03 August 2018, 20:10   #30
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Andre and Lee - do you have a planned return time? I'm hoping to come along but won't be early enough for 7.30 at Yarmouth.

I'm aiming to come across with Paul leaving SDS around 9, and return in the afternoon with Andre.....

Mike Deacon will be going in Watershed from Lymington - Leaving about 8am.

We should be able to see each other on AIS (Black Adder, Watershed and Grey Mist anyway).

Let's use 72 as a VHF if we get close enough, or in Alderney.

Trev
Old 03 August 2018, 20:17   #31

Fairly flexible this end regarding the return run, quite happy to see what suits the majority. I’ll monitor 72 , cheers Lee
Old 05 August 2018, 09:06   #32

Well this was a very long day from me as I had to leave home at 4 AM in order to leave the Dry stack at 6 get to Yarmouth for 7 to fuel up and meet up with Lee at 7:30 outside Yarmouth Harbour. I got home about 8 PM and totally shatted

It was a superb cruise the weather conditions could not have been better and for the return trip the seas were even better and managed to maintain for most of the journey 32/34 knots

I have attached the route from AIS and a screen shot from my Simrad NSS9 . The crossing time to Alderney was approx 2 hours 30 minutes from the Needles and the return to the Needles was spot on 2 hours. The timing listed is from SDS to Alderney and the return from Alderney to SDS

Lee many thanks again for coming you with the idea and thanks for the company. On the return route 3 ribs Blackadder , Katy, Grey Mist and one Targa which goes by the name of "Watershed"

It was good to leave early as it gave us more time for sightseeing. This was my 4th visit by rib and for sure not the last one as I will be back this coming Thursday and then on Sunday.
My first even visit was back in 2002 on route to St Malo a cruise then organised by HMS of Rib International. I was in my first demo rib a Parker 630 diesel. Size matters if you want to stay dry but it can be done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2294.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	126237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	126238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293 (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	126241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2306 (2).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	126242  
Old 05 August 2018, 11:25   #33

Fantastic day, Andre was good entertainment going across, sea conditions were a little lumpy and grey mist was completely out of the water on a number of occasions I’ll try and edit and post a vid when I get a sec. Beautiful little island, amazing weather and great company, must do it again soon
Old 05 August 2018, 15:47   #34

Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
What a perfect day for it! We were approaching the east-bound TSS on our way to Alderney under sail when a pack of boats went past a couple of miles off our starboard side, heading back to the Solent. I wondered if it was some of the Ribnet group, and saw Blackadder and Watershed on AIS, Grey Mist must have been hiding in the targets as well.

All the time we were sailing across, I was thinking how perfect the conditions were for RIB'ing - could have got there in a tiny fraction of the time :-). Oh well, after a slightly noisy night in Alderney thanks to the 24 hour festival music, we came to Guernsey this morning, and hopefully Roscoff tomorrow morning.

I look forward to seeing Lee's video of this adventure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180804_171107.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	126243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5415.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	126245  
Old 05 August 2018, 17:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
What a perfect day for it! We were approaching the east-bound TSS on our way to Alderney under sail when a pack of boats went past a couple of miles off our starboard side, heading back to the Solent. I wondered if it was some of the Ribnet group, and saw Blackadder and Watershed on AIS, Grey Mist must have been hiding in the targets as well.

All the time we were sailing across, I was thinking how perfect the conditions were for RIB'ing - could have got there in a tiny fraction of the time :-). Oh well, after a slightly noisy night in Alderney thanks to the 24 hour festival music, we came to Guernsey this morning, and hopefully Roscoff tomorrow morning.

I look forward to seeing Lee's video of this adventure!
yes that was us

this is Part I from my GoPro. Departure Yarmouth and passing the Needles

some may not like the loud sound from the twin diesel engines but the GoPro is just above the engine box hence the noise . Anyway the sweet sound of diesel engines
Old 05 August 2018, 18:56   #36

https://youtu.be/cBbNoxtl8rY

Not diesels

However, I’m guessing Andre might have used a little less fuel than we did...........lol
Old 05 August 2018, 19:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
https://youtu.be/cBbNoxtl8rY

Not diesels

However, I’m guessing Andre might have used a little less fuel than we did...........lol
Nice footage Lee thanks for sharing. This is the first time I have seen any footage of "Grey Mist" taken from another rib.

I used 271 L in total but 120 L to Alderney so 11 L more on the return passage. When I got back to SDS I still had 50 L in both tanks

I must say my skydex flooring made a huge difference. There were countless landings and to be expected my back is a bit stiff today. Hopefully by Thursday it will be ok
Old 05 August 2018, 20:23   #38

We did about 370 litres and you had the slightly longer run in the Solent back and forth to Southampton - but I do love the verados!
Spent today with the family relaxing in Newtown creek recovering from yesterday’s fun
I’m not surprised your back is a little sore, as you know it was fairly rough in places on the way over and you certainly were getting slammed around, I think we had it a little easier with the longer boat , good effort though!
Old 05 August 2018, 21:16   #39

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
..... got home about 8 PM and totally shatted...
I'm guessing it's the pounding and the lack of heads on board. It sounds like a good day was had by all though.
Old 06 August 2018, 07:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'm guessing it's the pounding and the lack of heads on board. It sounds like a good day was had by all though.
SKYDEX did reduce the shocks . Lack of heads on board does not make a difference as with full fuel and no persons the weight is just over 3400 kg . A heavy rib with the right HP handles well and does not slam. Grey Mist is not a racing rib and to cruise along at 30/32 knots in those conditions was just great fun. The engines prefer 26/29 knots and the fuel economy is fantastic

It was a great day and going back on Thursday but this time to Jersey .