Old 04 August 2005, 18:55   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Choucas
Make: Marlin 23
Engine: Outboard / Suzuki 25
Alderney

Hi All,

I'm planning on going to Alderney this coming Monday (08.08.05.) Somethings niggling at the back of my mind about letting HM Customs know that I'm heading there by RIB. I've rung the hotline but got a blank response. Has anybody any knowledge of this?

Any particular suggestions of where to go around the Islands by RIB.

All the best, David
Old 04 August 2005, 19:31   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You are meant to fill in a customs form when you arrive. Probably best to pop into Mainbrayce chandlers or the harbour office. Contact details here: http://www.alderney.gov.gg/index.php/pid/37

Hiring mopeds to scoot round the island is a good way of spending a day once you're there!

John
Old 04 August 2005, 19:58   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
We were in Alderney last week, harbour master gave us the customs forms and a tourist guide to alderney when we arrived, he found us a swinging mooring for the night and the water taxi picked us up from the boat to the quay. Unfortuatley the moped hire is no more as the insurance became to expensive. Camp site 2 clicks although we took a taxi with all the kit we seemed to need. Duty free was the cheapest in the channel islands unless someone knows differently.

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 20:47   #4

Alderney Customs

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I've got the yellow customs flag so I'll fly that when I arrive and go and look for the forms. My father's travelling ahead with his yatch and picking up a mooring and we'll raft up use that as our base for the next few days while we explore the islands.

I'm travelling with just me and the two kids, but they know how to drive the rib and I've got all the safety gear so fingers crossed for good weather.

All best, david
Old 04 August 2005, 21:19   #5

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Weather looking ok at the moment but not much in it between the high and the low. Wind from the north east, force 2-3 and sunny!

If it stays like that you'll have a good trip across! Have fun!!!!!
Old 15 August 2005, 04:29   #6

Alderney Update

Hi All,

Returned yesterday morning, 12/08/05. Had a great trip. The run out on Monday morning was great, perfect conditions. Did it in in 3hrs and five minutes from Cowes. Just had to watch out for the odd swell that suddenly appears. Onboard were me, and my two daughters Sophie 13 and Ella 10. Met up with my father on his yacht about 20 miles out, did feel like popping onboard for a cup of tea!!! He'd set out from Yarmouth at 5.30am. It meant that if any of the children were worried or feeling seasick I could drop them off.

Picked up a mooring in Braye Harbour and picked up the customs form from all in one harbour master launch and customs. Mooring was £12. per night. We got a lift from the habour taxi and had a walk round. The "mothership" arrived at six and we rafted up. This a great way to spend the week. The next few days were spent snorkelling and a few barbies on the beach. The weather was superb. The harbour has a great beach, a dingy row away. We also went around the island by rib and explored a few of the smaller islands. One small one was covered with Gannets. Best to do this at high tide, and my chartplotter perfomed brilliantly, I would be reluctant to do close shore cruising without it. They always come with such a wonderful warning at startup.

On Thursday as Braye doesn't have petrol, (unless you jerrycan it a 75mt walk to and from the pontoon) we went to Guernsey to refuel at St. Peter Port, Sophie helmed all the way, and then onto Sark through Herm. Followed a Fairline which put out a huge wake and didn't slow down for any small craft at all. Took a small pleasure in overtaking him later. Went around the island and finally anchored in Dixcart Bay.Then used the dingy to go ashore, walked up the hill and had lunch at the Dixcart Hotel. Snorkeling here wasn't so great, so we headed on back to Alderney. Bit rough on the way back, a precursor for the next day.

Next day we headed back. The evening before spent a long time trying to get a deccent forcast. Marine Call was very disapointing, I was more interested in wave height and it was difficult to get this information. Has anybody found a better provider? You can get immediate info from the mid channel buoy, but I din't have internet access.

The trip back was slow and rough, averaged about 17knt. Didn't enjoy it much, just wanted to get it over with... met my father about 18 miles out and transferred Ella to the mothership as she was feeling seasick. She promptly laid down and went to sleep for two hours. Both children had had Stugeron. Arrived back at Island Harbour at about 2pm. My father didn't make the tide and had to stay in East Cowes overnight. I think in hindsight I should have waited till later in the day for the sea state to calm down, after the front the previous day.

All the best David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorDixcart.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	13774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DixcartBay.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	13775   Click image for larger version

Name:	GannetRock.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	13776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophie&Ella.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	13777   Click image for larger version

Name:	RaftedUp.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	13778  

Old 15 August 2005, 07:23   #7

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Great report David and nice pics.
Old 15 August 2005, 08:38   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Terrific report David. The "Gannet" island you refer to is Les Etacs.
Below is a photo of the same place from the shore.
You obviously had a fantastic time. I asume you stayed on board your Dad's yacht overnight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	les etacs.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	13779  
Old 15 August 2005, 08:43   #9

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
David

Well done on your trip.

Good to have your father as a backup

Regards

Mark
Old 15 August 2005, 13:02   #10

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Glad to hear you had a good time (apart from the trip back)!!!
Old 15 August 2005, 21:23   #11

Hi Brian,

Yes I did stay on my fathers yacht, it sounds a bit bloody luxurious, but just occasionally all the bits fit together..... if I hadn't had his support I doubt if I'd made the trip. Not on my account, but my two daughters. I'm sure those who have partners who aren't that keen on the water know what I mean. I'd taken all the precautions EPIRB, Aux. Engine etc. but somehow that seems to worry the nearest and dearest, rather than reassure.

The "Gannet" island, well I knew its name when I was going around it, but I couldn't summon up the energy to walk back to the rib to get the chart out.....

Thanks for your support, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Terrific report David. The "Gannet" island you refer to is Les Etacs.
Below is a photo of the same place from the shore.
You obviously had a fantastic time. I asume you stayed on board your Dad's yacht overnight?
Old 15 August 2005, 21:28   #12

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Looked like a great trip shame about the journey back...

Shaggy