Old 30 August 2002, 11:37   #1

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
A Cross Channel Cruise

Paul Lemmer and I are putting together a little cruise we shall call the 'ST.MALO CRUISE' for the following dates:

Friday 27 September 2002 - Sunday 29 September 2002.

Basically the UK ribs would leave the Solent area heading directly to the NW Minquiers buoy to RV with me and A.N. Other.
We will continue cruising south and stay over in St.Servan (St.Malo) on Friday night. Next morning its either locking through the barrage into the Rance and head for Dinan, or motor up the coast to Granville and Chausey, staying the night at one or the other. Sunday, its north to Jersey for brunch and R&R and then back to the UK. If anyone is interested please contact me?

This is an ideal opportunity for anyone who would like to attempt a cross-channel cruise for the first time with highly experienced ribsters.
Old 30 August 2002, 12:26   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Count me in please Charles
Old 30 August 2002, 12:53   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Also, i should be bringing theSpirit of Cardiff back home on this weekend. Clive, Jan & myself are setting out from St John's on Sunday 15th September and plan to be back in Cardiff for that weekend.

Alan P
Old 30 August 2002, 15:14   #4

Great Alan, you guys can swing by St.Malo for a cupla beers and some fine 'Fruit De Mer' followed by a vintage 'Volnay'.
Old 30 August 2002, 17:40   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
St Malo

Charles ,
Would you consider 5.85 with 115hp too small for the trip ?
We are based at Hayling .

JOhn
Old 30 August 2002, 17:44   #6

Firstly, as you will be cruising in company I do not think that size should be a problem. It all depends on sea-state. What sort of speed can you comfortably cruise at?

I have crossed the Channel a number of times with a 5.8 Humber Dive-pro as well as my small 6.5 Hysucat. Twice in a F4/5...pretty nasty. There is safety in company, BUT you really do not want to hold up the larger RIBS too much.
Old 01 September 2002, 05:06   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Lurcher, just go for it your rib will be fine. Its not the boat thats the problem as much as its the crew that tends to give up first. Assuming the weather is good you will have a fab time, and as Charles says the cruise is company is is great for safety. If the big boats want to open the trottles thats fine they will stop every so often to let other catch up. Have a good trip. Pete
Old 01 September 2002, 21:24   #8

Town: Newquay Cornwall
Make: Ribeye
Length: 4.5m
Engine: 40hp
Cross Channel

Being new to RIBs I am interested in your comments re crossing Channel.
I woul love at some time to crew as I only plan on getting a 4.5m RIB which I would not expect to be suitable.
How long does the crossing take on average and what problems can be experienced?
Sorry for such basic questions but I only ever planned on pottering around the Cornish coast.
I bet a trip to Scilly would be superb. Has anyone done this and was it good?

Cheers.

Clive
Old 01 September 2002, 22:00   #9

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Portsmouth the Alderney took four hours at a leasurely 22-24 mph, stopping every hour for coffee and allow the boats to group together again. Alderney through the race to Jersey another 3 again stopping every hour. Takes a bit of nerve switching off the engine when your 30 miles from land, but all part of the fun. Petrol dead cheap in Jersey take anything that will hold fuel. Smallest rib on the trip was a Flatacraft 17 ft rib with 60 hp Yamaha. No problems if the weather is good and the boat well prepared. Its the crew that give up first rather than the boat. Interestingly it was the big ribs that had all the problems with engine to stern drive shafts braking on two off them. 'Orrible little 2 stoke engines just carried on smoking like a pusser on capstan full strength, oh apart from a BWM which the tubes fell off, but then it was built by Messrs Lemmer and Co, so nothing new there then still, patched (an appropriate name for it) it still made it home. Great trip and will be doing it again soon.
Old 02 September 2002, 08:15   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Cliveg
On the last trip to Channel Islands, we (me and Andy Mickelwright and family) did Alderney back to Brixham (Torbay) in exactly 2 hours. It's about 65nm. ALDERNEY TO Jersey is about 30nm so say 1 hour in flat sea.
Each year I organise, on behalf of BIBOA, the South West Cruise which goes left one day from Plymouth and goes right for the other day. We usually do about 80nm each day. nice and easy. Very scenic, designed for beginners and families (although all welcome). This year we additionally did one down to the Scillies and back as well.
If you use the Search button on this forum and the Gallery forum, you will read all about what happened find out a huge amount of info re accomodation, refueling etc. and see the piccies.
Keywords in the Search are Scilly, Scillies, and South West.
See you on next years Cruises?
Old 02 September 2002, 12:00   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Clive G.

I am going to go. I am thinking of taking my 6.5 metre but if Lurcher is going to take his Avon the I'd love to do it in my SR47. either way you are welcome to ride with me

Avon 4.7 will be deppendent on the big boys letting me bring it.

regards
Stuart
Old 05 September 2002, 07:32   #12

Anyone else interested? The final runners and riders list is being drawn up and I am about to e-mail all skippers waypoints and arrangements? At this stage it looks like we have 14 ribs going.
Old 05 September 2002, 15:12   #13

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
St Malo

Hi Charles

After the sucess of your last cruise. My self and Aaron would be interested in coming along in Liquidator. I will confirm it next week with you but it sounds good to me.

Julian
Old 05 September 2002, 15:26   #14

Excellent, the more the bloody merrier...give the Frogs a hard time! I will e-mail you details.
Old 05 September 2002, 17:32   #15
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I really want to come but I don't think its realistic that my 4.7m would do the job. Unless the sea if flat calm.
Old 05 September 2002, 18:00   #16

Try and hop on another RIB, people are always looking for crew.
Old 07 September 2002, 22:25   #17

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
I am also interested in joining the fun. Could be a good chance to add some French slipways to the web site.
Old 08 September 2002, 10:04   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Charles. Can you feed us information what your final plans are for the weekend just in case we can "Swing By"
From next Sunday (15th) e-mail the boat at..........
clivetully@spirit-of-cardiff.com

For all of the new boys (and girls) with smaller boats remember, your boat will take you anywhere. All you need is the courage to take the first step. It is interesting to read about so many old hands that are now on the forum offering advice and help. I have cruised and raced with many of these people on many events that Biboa organsied in the mid 90's. Just because there are bigger boats around do not think that they are the only ones to cross oceans. Loads of people said that we could never take a 10 metre boat around the world because the seas were too big. I learnt many years ago not to listen to the arm chair boater.

Just Do it as Ellen McCarthar would say
Old 08 September 2002, 15:39   #19

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
For all of the new boys (and girls) with smaller boats remember, your boat will take you anywhere. All you need is the courage to take the first step.
How true Alan. Your book 'Beating The Big One' certainly inspired me. It made me detarmined to have a go at my own little 'Big One'. Well I did it and now that east cardinal marker I only saw in the telescope is on my list of easy runs!

Next time it is all the way to Cromarty.

Keith (have a go at it folks) Hart
Old 09 September 2002, 08:40   #20

Geoff, Alan P, I have e-mailed you both. Could not agree more with Alan's comments. With reliable engine's, seaworthy rib and experienced company, the cruise should not be a problem for smaller ribs.