Old 02 June 2012, 11:59   #1

Town: kingsbridge
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25
Outboard Theft & Insurance

Might not be quiet appropriate to post here but is very relevant. One of our marine underwriters, due to the heavy engine theft losses so far this year, is considering removing theft cover for craft left in the open or so called 'secure compounds'. This could take 12 months to enforce and may well filter through to the other main insurers probably depending on their individual exposure to claims geographically.

I am recommending this www.bigsting.co.uk to all our clients, which could become a compulsory device if not in secure storage.

Got to stop these sods somehow!?
Old 02 June 2012, 13:15   #2

typical insurance companies springs to mind here. maybe if they get their way eventually car insurance can remove accident damage too!

i don't mind having a tracker fitted but it is not much of a guard unfortunately against these gangs that steal these in large numbers as unlike a car is easy enough to find and more importantly cut power to it.

cheers
Old 02 June 2012, 14:09   #3

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Appreciate the assistance your promoting but surely a trade membership would be worth the cost to facilitate the promotion of your company ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 02 June 2012, 18:31   #4

Town: kingsbridge
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
typical insurance companies springs to mind here. maybe if they get their way eventually car insurance can remove accident damage too!

i don't mind having a tracker fitted but it is not much of a guard unfortunately against these gangs that steal these in large numbers as unlike a car is easy enough to find and more importantly cut power to it.

cheers
Hi Peter, we are already listed on the trade directory, happy to comply, PM me.

Just for the point raised above, this system notifies you by text if the main power is cut or ignition tampered with. Then continues on back up battery with GPS tracking on the google maps network via your smart phone, so fail safe monitoring.

If a thief targets an engine, is he really going to check the outboard 1st and be able to easily identify an electronic device which looks similar to many other control modules in the engine? If so he has a choice, pick an easier target or, continue removing the engine bolt locks and engine, then cut the electrics (assuming he is clever enough not to cut the electrics 1st). He still runs the risk of the owner being notified instantly, bear in mind that the engine still has to be moved (4 people for some big engines) from the boat to where ever the transport is, which may take 10 minutes.

So is this a gamble he is prepared to take and risk jeopardising his other gang members? I doubt it, just go for an easier target, if there is one!

Better still, they don't check and the police are led to their storage compound or shipping container. Result!

Anyway, merely to point out that the insurance industry is likely to take a hard approach to this.

Cheers.
Old 02 June 2012, 18:44   #5

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Sounds a great system. Reliant on the police actually getting their act together and responding in time but it's a no brainer if you've an expensive new motor away from your sight. Best of luck with it. Yamaha have been at the forefront of security of late by installing the immobiliser system but clearly the tracker is the obvious next step. My car insurance refused to cover me without an active tracker so it's only a matter of time before other industries follow suit.

FYI nothing more to do with me ref trade, just pointing out it might be worth the upgrade fee (£100) to keep onside of the site rules. It's well worth it.

Best of luck with it

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 02 June 2012, 18:49   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Has anyone found an insurance company that actually discounts if you have good security, i.e locks, alarms, trackers etc etc. We have used all and never given a lower premium . A reduction in fees has been a no claims and discounts for skipper qualified options