Old 06 August 2006, 21:48   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
The rough and the smooth

A photo I took of mine during my lunchbreak earlier today, shame it wasn't sunny as it would have been perfect with the reflection in the water

Also some photos of some "interesting South Atlantic conditions"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0195.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	21363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0166.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	21364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0167.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	21365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0170.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	21366  
Old 07 August 2006, 07:39   #2

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Nice pictures. A few of my forces friends that windsur talk about relentless wind and waves but most end up sailing in the same flat water location because of rip tides and cold water. There's always a glazed look comes over them when waiting for wind over here and talking about experiences over there.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:10   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Yes the photos were taken a couple of weeks ago and represent the bumpy end of inshore sea conditions here and no I wasn't out in that!

It is a windy place and in fact I think somebody tried for the windsurfing speed record here a few years ago but I don't think they got it. You do see windsurfers having some fun though, they can really shift when they get about 30kt wind behind them and it's entertaining when they cock it up at that speed too

I think part of the reason they stick to Gull Island Pond is probably safety - I think you can stand up in the pond, and once you go to sea there isn't a lot available in the way of rescue cover, there is no Coast Guard here and not a lot of vessels around if you get into difficulty. I was out yesterday and in about 2.5 hours total (morning and afternoon) I saw a dive RIB, one yacht, and a Halmatic launch, plus a reefer and a tanker anchored together refuelling, and that was a busy day in terms of traffic! It isn't unusual to go out and see nothing except perhaps the odd fishing boat at anchor in the outer harbour so I haven't got too carried away until my aux engine arrives, which is in about two weeks.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:57   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Yup I suppose you are pretty much on your own out there. Nice waves and I have been out in similar - loved every minute of it but avoided the breaking ones as much as I could. I didn't have my aux fitted either - but I make sure I am carrying a bloody big anchor and loads of rope and chain.