Old 17 March 2007, 22:06   #1

Town: Harrisburg
Boat name: Goliath
Make: Genmar by Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 8hp Outboard
River Zodiac

This is my first post here, just wanted to say hello. My boat was named the "Goliath" for satire, when a Florida State Fish and Boat Commission officer took a look at it, but that's another story. Goliath is at home on our local river, the Susquehanna. Although it is over 1.5km wide, it only averages less than one meter in depth. The Susquehanna has the distinction of being the world's largest non-navicable river in the world. Lucky us. You can only go a few miles up or down river until you hit either: a low-head dam or impassable shallows full of protruding rocks that spread from one shore to the other.

Goliath is a SCRIB, or Semi RIB. The tubes roll onto the fiberglass floor when deflated, and the whole thing fits into a storage bag. The bag is small enough to fit on the top of my jeep. Goliath was made by Zodiac for Genmar, and it is made of PVC Duratex fabric. I keep it folded up when not in use and out of the sun. I am planning on making a removable bench seat and helm for her this spring, so we can cruise more comfortably. One of the items I bought for the boat was a stainless steel swim ladder that attaches to the tubes. It was intended for scuba diving, to climb back aboard her without the boat capsizing. I never got a chance to use it yet, as our river isn't suitable for diving at most spots.

I've had goliath out in the Gulf of Mexico, on the west shore of Florida, off of Tarpon Springs and also on the Cape Fear river in North Carolina, just before a Hurricane came up the coast. It seems to handle most light conditions with ease, but I wouldn't want to run in the conditions that most of you see every day over in the UK!

Here are a few pictures of My wife and me in Goliath, on the Susquehanna. The first picture is the Goliath stowed on the top of our jeep.
The third picture is me standing in the MIDDLE of the river, nowhere near shore. As you can see, it isn't very deep at most places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 099 (Medium).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	25549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 331 (Medium).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	25550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 340 (Medium).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	25551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 342 (Medium).jpg
Views:	355
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	25552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 357 (Medium).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	25553  

Old 17 March 2007, 22:31   #2

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
NICE GRIP ON THE TILLER
Old 18 March 2007, 02:17   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You would have a bit of trouble scuba diving in that water - at least there wouldn't be much chance of the "bends".

No probs running that boat out at sea - I crossed about 25 miles of open sea in my Quicksilver 3.1 - it was a nice day in the summer though.

Wouldn't fancy it tonight though - 60 - 70mph winds - again!!!
Old 18 March 2007, 13:22   #4

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
This is my first post here, just wanted to say hello. My boat was named the "Goliath" for satire, when a Florida State Fish and Boat Commission officer took a look at it, but that's another story. Goliath is at home on our local river, the Susquehanna. Although it is over 1.5km wide, it only averages less than one meter in depth. The Susquehanna has the distinction of being the world's largest non-navicable river in the world. Lucky us. You can only go a few miles up or down river until you hit either: a low-head dam or impassable shallows full of protruding rocks that spread from one shore to the other.

Goliath is a SCRIB, or Semi RIB. The tubes roll onto the fiberglass floor when deflated, and the whole thing fits into a storage bag. The bag is small enough to fit on the top of my jeep. Goliath was made by Zodiac for Genmar, and it is made of PVC Duratex fabric. I keep it folded up when not in use and out of the sun. I am planning on making a removable bench seat and helm for her this spring, so we can cruise more comfortably. One of the items I bought for the boat was a stainless steel swim ladder that attaches to the tubes. It was intended for scuba diving, to climb back aboard her without the boat capsizing. I never got a chance to use it yet, as our river isn't suitable for diving at most spots.

I've had goliath out in the Gulf of Mexico, on the west shore of Florida, off of Tarpon Springs and also on the Cape Fear river in North Carolina, just before a Hurricane came up the coast. It seems to handle most light conditions with ease, but I wouldn't want to run in the conditions that most of you see every day over in the UK!

Here are a few pictures of My wife and me in Goliath, on the Susquehanna. The first picture is the Goliath stowed on the top of our jeep.
The third picture is me standing in the MIDDLE of the river, nowhere near shore. As you can see, it isn't very deep at most places.
Welcome to the forum, if you are comfortable with the odd and the unusual you'll do fine here. Your cruising area is probably pretty nice, no throttle jockeys running that river eh? The boat you have there is probably the best kind to have, fold it up and put it away when you are done.. The most relaxing and enjoyable boating I ever did was when I had a 8 ft Ampac. I used to put a thick cushion on the deck and lay across the boat with my feet resting on the tube, I would operate the engine tiller with my right hand a hold a cold one in my left, we would just idle around with the boat all day long... I need to buy another one!
Old 19 March 2007, 14:15   #5

Town: Harrisburg
Boat name: Goliath
Make: Genmar by Zodiac
Engine: 8hp Outboard
The river does have some deep holes here and there, but pretty much a lousy place to dive. We have to travel to get to some good diving spots. Last season I bought a tiller extension. My wife and I can now sit on the seat together, real cozy.

I've been debateing if I should get a prop guard; I don't know if I have any power to spare from the 8hp Mercury! I was wondering if some performance reeds will help or not. Goliath will get up on plane with my wife and I at about 10-12 mph, and she tops out at 21 mph. Once you add some more weight than just us two, she has trouble getting on plane.
Old 19 March 2007, 17:01   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
I've been debateing if I should get a prop guard; I don't know if I have any power to spare from the 8hp Mercury!
Somebody makes a stainless steel edge guard thingie that bolts onto the leading edge of the skeg; this would probably be advisable. Affords some protection to direct strikes (doesn't do much for something that misses the skeg but passes through the blade circle, though...)

I would think a spare plastic or aluminum prop would be the way I would go (well, that, and a bit of caution when it gets skinny.) Hitting something, you're probably not going to do any internal damage with a smallish motor, so the prop would be an easy backup. Doesn't look like you'd have too much trouble accessing the prop nut on the water, either :-)

I've recently seen several SIBsters here running the ProPulse props; replaceable blades if you happen to whack one. No idea on how they work, but the guys I've seen don't seem too unhappy about them.

Hmmm. Diving in knee-deep water - You could probably get some pretty long bottom times. Might have trouble getting a water activated computer to start, though.

Welcome to the forum;

jky
Old 20 March 2007, 16:27   #7

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

I would think a spare plastic or aluminum prop would be the way I would go (well, that, and a bit of caution when it gets skinny.) Hitting something, you're probably not going to do any internal damage with a smallish motor, so the prop would be an easy backup. Doesn't look like you'd have too much trouble accessing the prop nut on the water, either :-)
Make sure you carry some spare shear pins and some pliers as well. This is assuming your engine uses shear pins? If so, it only takes 5 mins or so to replace one if you break one by grounding etc