Old 28 July 2010, 05:20   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
The run out to Burhou and the Casquets Lighthouse - Mollers' Etec spits the dummy then come the overfalls.
Those overfalls were impressive. Jim came piling in with a fistfull of gas on, from behind, I saw 'Jigsaw' go vertical. Luckily, he hung about for a few seconds to get his sh*t back together, which kept him nearby when my Etec "spat it's dummy" in the middle of the overfalls. The Icommands did a quick re-boot and all was well again.

Old 28 July 2010, 06:21   #23

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
my Etec "spat it's dummy" in the middle of the overfalls.
What caused that then?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 06:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
What caused that then?
It died laughing at Jim's airbourne antics.

Seriously, don't worry. A very heavy landing activated a safety cut-out sensor. Ignition off for a few seconds, back on, the Icommands scrolled through a re-boot and all was well. I had zero concern about the 60Nm lumpy trip home the next day.

If it should happen again, I'll be calling on the 5 year warranty which has 3 years remaining.
Old 28 July 2010, 08:12   #25
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
How about this one then, Martini in the air and Hey Joe (?) under your bow . Bit grainy but you get the idea.
Wife and I sat on the suicide seat for the whole trip nice and comfy wife did scream a few times but we stayed dry throughout.
Great to see the Puffins alway's thought they were bigger.

Round the back of the Island at one point we were doing about 12 knots through the water and 3.5 over the ground awsome tidal flow.

The swinge was nice and playful for us but would be interesting to see when it gets angry, what it needs is a jet rib. Next year I may borrow Pauls ski and see how we can play in it.

One of the highlights for me was the lighthouse and seeing how they landed on it and the engineering involved to build the thing.

If any of you get a chance to visit Alderney make sure you touch base with Martin and Erin and Matt as they will give you a right Royal time
Ta Tim
Old 28 July 2010, 10:15   #26

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I have put a gallery of all the pics taken on Fri and Sat, you can upload more if you have 'em.

www.alderneymarine.com/floptilla
Old 28 July 2010, 14:27   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
For Roy Bishop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Vipermax Owners Club
Indeed

We have a fair few more pics and will get them all up along with a brief write up tonight

Old 28 July 2010, 18:12   #28
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Day 1

DAY 1 – Wednesday 22nd July

Last Wednesday, myself and Gotchidad slipped the lines from Dinard with a plan to head up to Jersey stopping for a sandwich lunch halfway. I went out early-ish to collect the boat from its moorings and then brought it round to the pontoon at the main harbour where we loaded all our gear for the week-long trip we were planning for. On went the SIB too, a necessity for getting to land on Sark where we planned to camp the following week. Along with the luggage came a nice French bloke who had accosted my dad as he was sorting out the stuff at the top of the slipway who worked at a bar on an island (CÚzembre) a few miles off the coast but for various reasons had no transport to it that day, having visited the island many times before – in the 2.6m SIB no less ) and with the prospect of a drink when we next popped round, we gave him permission to board and off we went, slipping the lines at around midday.

Having dropped said Frenchman off on his island having got there in less than 5 minutes or so due to me indulging his oohs and ahhs at the power and speed we set course for the Minquiers and relaxed. The calm conditions allowed a cruising speed of around 40knts to be maintained with imperious ease, and we quickly began to reel Jersey in. We cut the engine and allowed ourselves to drift freely as we passed the south east Minquiers cardinal, and had lunch as the boat rocked in the rolling swell. We pressed on again at around 40knts, but as we approached Jersey we got caught up a in a localised storm, which luckily we were able to skirt around for the most part. As we picked up the channel markers for entrance to St. Helier, the conditions continued to worsen, and speed was reduced to 25knts or so due to the waves. I would point out that on this leg it was I that was driving, had Gotchidad been, I reckon these speeds would have been reduced by at least 25% if not more, due to the general carefulness of an elderly gentleman such as himself As we rounded the outer wall of the port, a lone Redbay 11m cabin was heading out, (the orange now renamed but ex Correyveckyran (Sp?) boat) . Due to our planned departure time the following morning coinciding with the low water time in Jersey, we did not go into the marina, but instead remained on the holding pontoon just outside its limits, as advised to do my Matt. After finding the hotel, we returned to St. Helier and enjoyed a delicious pizza at the very early (for us ) time of 6:30. Ribbing really does take it out of you!!

More to follow tomorrow (+pics obviously)

P.S. yes sorry I cant get the pics small like everyone elses, the attachments just dont seem to post properly for me, I hope I can get it sorted soon though, it does seem a little funny that my photos are so much bigger than everyone else's!
Old 28 July 2010, 18:23   #29

Blimey Oliver!! I need a bigger screen!
Old 29 July 2010, 07:14   #30
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Blimey Oliver!! I need a bigger screen!
Sorted now I think...

DAY 2 – Friday 23rd
After having spent the first day of our trip alone, day 2 promised a nice ride in company with Matt, Martin and Jack on Martini II. Acting on a very early wake up call, Gotchidad and I, strolled gently down to the harbour stopping for a bit of breakfast (and to use the wifi connection ) along the way. We arrived at the holding pontoon feeling somewhat apprehensive as the sight which greeted us was of yachts four deep all the way along the length of the pontoon. Fearing that we may have three or more yachts rafted up to our side, we feared that we may have to fight to break free from the melee. As we began to near the spot at which we had left Into the R ed, the forest of masts appeared to have left a little clearing, amongst so many rafted up boats, our little boat had its own little space on the pontoon, with no others to wade through for escape!
Having set about preparing the boat and getting it in a fit state for our crossing up to Alderney, we slipped the lines at about ten past eight and nosed out of the harbour entrance with a view to joining up with Matt in La Colette marina just outside of the main harbour entrance. However an about turn was necessary for as we approached La Colette, the fearsome sight of Martini II greeted us, Optis rasping ferociously in the background and the water ahead of her bows promptly dissipating in anticipation of the pain that would be wrought upon it should the entire weight of an Arctic 28 fully fuelled at over 4tons come crashing down upon it . Together the two boats meandered back through the main harbour entrance and pulled up on the holding pontoon wherefrom we had just departed – the reason for this abrupt turn, for by now our original departure time of 8.30 was in tatters, was the requirement of some sustenance for the crew and helm of Martini II after a quick shimmy up the ladder to the Albert Quay, and the prompt dispatching of some bacon butties, then after having watched Matt and Martin don wet weather gear, we too Gecko’d up for the course before once again nosing out of the harbour entrance. With Matt leading the way we powered up to around 30knts, Matt just setting a course and letting his gargantuan boat blat through whatever waves could ever be so rude as to plant themselves in front of the boat.
As time wore on a speed of around 23/4knts was established, not because of the conditions, more as an attempt at preserving Matt’s wallet Gotchidad then took over the helming, for the first time in his life actually increasing our speed to 30knts, since the ride in our boat at that speed is far superior to what it is at 23, banging around as it does and falling into each and every trough. Matt however was having none of it and Gotchidad gave up after a few loops round to come out behind Martini before reeling him in and dispatching him again and so throttled back to 23 and braved it out for the rest. The difference in ride quality between 23 and 30 is however startling though; having only really cruised by ourselves and therefore setting our own pace we had never been forced to stay at a slower speed and so it was very intriguing for us to experience a different aspect of our boat. As we approached Alderney, the seas flattened out further and Matt could not resist the temptation to open up the taps a little and we cruised together at 30 catching a glimpse of Alderney before rounding the north east corner of the island and cruising into Braye Harbour, greeted by the familiar sight of the Admiralty Breakwater stretching out a welcoming hand to greet us. Having made the trip from Cherbourg over to Alderney in a 4m Zodiac a few years previously and having visited the isle by air many times, the familiar scenery greeted us punctuated by the throb of Martini’s optis We moored up on a buoy close into the breakwater slip and Keith pottered out to meet us in his SIB before taking us into the pontoon. Clambering up the gangway we were greeted with the sight of the Yacht club terrace, Keith’s parents having opened the bar specially.
As the day trickled by gradually more and more boats and then people arrived, the two hard boats and then Trevor with Blue Ray accompanied by a weary Paul having made the trip by jetski for the second successive year! Mollers and Jim then arrived having departed from a different place to the others, along with two weary ribbers wives After an hour or two on the terrace we agreed to disperse and then meet again later at the chippy at 8, ready to sample the delights brought home by the fisherman of Alderney. Jack with his mushy peas and then the antics of the “Chip Cat” provided entertainment throughout the meal, before a decamp to the Divers to finish off the evening.
Having discussed the differences between kompressors, compressors and superchargers with Keith and Paul, Gotchidad and I decided to retire for the night...only to be caught by Mollers and Jim for a couple more to aid the digestion of discussing the chequered history of Vector Marine, the Cosworth engined XR24, and how Ospreys had risen from the ashes! A fair while later and having learnt a great deal about the boat and company history we returned to the hotel picking our way along the railway tracks which we discovered could be employed as a shortcut. After having to undertake multiple actions to prevent the snoring of Gotchidad in order that I may get to sleep, I did eventually, with the knowledge that a great day of touring the island lay ahead... (oh, and that Gotchimum had decided to come over )

Sorry its a little verbose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	php1GbNXHAM.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	53109   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpf9VyuzAM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	53110   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpwRCBTuAM.jpg