Old 25 June 2005, 17:00   #11
Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
think you are right;I am a little stern heavy!!
I checked , and I have just about 5" freeboard back there.
So doesn't take much for the waves to lap over.
I was about 10 gall of fuel light ,after the crossing to Catalina;so perhaps a full tank would have helped.(should have made the trip to the fuel dock earlier).
Below deck was dry.that is until I took the wave over the back and then for the first time I did have some water to drain.In fact it was in the pods under the seats as well!
So all dried out and back together now. The only thing I had to do was replace the seat hinge screws with ones a little longer/.They seemed very short for the job and longer ones seem to be much firmer.
Also broke the Nav light off the back; as its just on a pole on the transom.Would have gone for the A frame but no room to get into the garage to turn it around then.
Thanks for the feedback,
cheers dal

limeydal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2005, 05:50   #12
Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Originally Posted by limeydal
nice to see you back; where you been hiding?
Some bstrd keeps making me work!

Nah, I've been away on business on and off for the past few months and haven't a.) had the time b.) been no where near a PC c.) drunk!

Sounds a bit strange about the water over the transom, I beached mine the other week to give the hull a spray and clean and whilst the odd wave did come over the stern (the sea was a little lumpy out, but not too bad) but not to the amount your suggesting. I do have the long shaft (bragging again ) and so as you say the transom is slightly higher, but several of my mates RIBS have lower transoms (in fact a couple much lower than mine and they don't seem to experience too many problems).

As Steve suggested maybe the engine weight is a bit close to the max!?

Also worth checking water under the deck as mine has a habit of storing loads in there after thrashing about in the rough stuff and the downpours of rain we seem to be getting at the moment. (oop's just read the next page!)

Hope that helps!

Which part of "throw me the mooring line" didn't you understand!?
pettal is offline   Reply With Quote