20: With the bottle rack out of the way I started to prepare the deck for painting. I filled and smoothed where the bottle rack had been with some filler, then sanded the whole deck. What a jolly job that was
Photo shows the deck having been undercoated. I put a dash of the final orange paint into the white paint to hopefully get a better colour.
21: The removed bottle rack. Destined for ebay I think.
22: Next job was the "nose cone". Being an Eagle is had a GRP nose cone rather than a soft one. This wasn't very pretty before; lots of scratches etc. I decided to fill all the holes and spray paint it to make it look pretty. This photo shows it after two thin coats of primer.
23: Removed that backrest and finished off the bits where I had carefully grinded off the rest of the rack. It's currenlty hanging in the kitchen awaiting a final coat of orange paint.
24: Next job was one I had been dreading and putting off. The console was full of holes, some tiny same massive. I did consider replacing the whole console but this was going to be very expensive and time consuming. In the end I thought I would give repairing the old one a go. I had to fill the big ones with firbeglass and the little ones with filler. This took all day as there must have been about 40 hole of various sizes. After loads of sanding and more filling the console is now as smoother as a piece of glass. I left the intrument holes as I'm planning to get a nice pannel made up to go over there with some engraved bits on.
25: Nice and smooth....
The deck has also received the first coat of paint. I think this is going to be too slippery, so I might put a little bit of sand in the next coat. Three coats should do it I think.