Old 12 April 2004, 20:58   #41

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Thanks Nick.

I have read the book and understand what a ferry glide, I guess it's one of those manouvers that takes a little practice. You wouldn't want a cock up in front of all those onlookers, would you! (been there, done that).

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2004, 14:42   #42

Town: Ongar, Essex
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6.2
Engine: mercury 135 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick West
Steve,
Great to meet you at last, I can honestly say that Iv'e had one of the best weekends that I can remember; taking the new boat out and getting Anna & the boys involved has really opened up new avenues....cliche sorry!. The memory of our twin ( even though yours is longer and bigger....phnarrr!) boats lined up together on the pontoon at Bembridge will last, as will the endless amount of people you seemed to have willing to go aboard, with you being a full throttle merchant!.......I am p***ed off that Tesco won't fill more than 5 ltr tanks.... I will disguise it in the back of the car.

Catch up with you soon I hope, I'm a bit of an unsociable B*****d normally, so maybe Ribnet and having a Rib will change this.

I reckon you had at least 50 different people on board this weekend...Mr Popular, nice to meet Jan and the Kids.

Full Throttle Mr Care.......Take Care!

Nick

Nick

Was great to meet you and your family too, Next time we should venture over to the pub for lunch and a few drinks with the families.
I Wish I lived in the IOW now all that sea to explore. your be round to Cowes and Yarmouth by the time I get back and I will be trying to keep up.
I hope you enjoy your week off and get some good calm days out.

All the best
Old 15 April 2004, 13:50   #43

Length: under 3m
Avon Adventure

Hi,
I saw your pictures and did you get the boat from bembridge outboards as I recognise the background of the photos. Who was your sales man? Have you had your boat on the pontoon opposite the shop in the last couple of days because i saw an adventure rib there because i keep my boat there and went out in it the last couple of days. how is it? where have you been in it?

Also just after Tescos there is an esso garage i fill up my cans thereand in the peugeot garage in the village
thanks
Alistair
Old 15 April 2004, 21:55   #44

Town: Seaview, IOW
Boat name: bleu et blanc
Make: Avon 560
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 90
Avon 4.0

Hi Alastair....I presume!

Yes, that was mine on the pontoon, I saw yours yesterday (and checked the tubes for pressure) It's a shame you missed Steve's - now in the yard clean and on a trailer!

I had my first fright today with my 7 yr old son......just out of the buoy channel and opened her up, I then get the overheat warning (optimax smartcraft guages are excellent) anyway, turned around on low revs and got back to the pontoon (praying all the way) to be told by the mechanic that I had weed blocking the intakes! It don't matter how many books you read...real life experience is what counts! I knew what to look for on an overheat, but the realisation is a different story and you forget the basics....learning all the time!

Anyway, Jim is the main man at Bembridge and considering the amount of customers, he will always remebre who you are. Tom's his brother and is tops. The other guys are all very helpful and will always give a hand and decent advice.

Are you stopping in Bembridge or are you taking the boat elsewhare?

Cheers

Nick
Old 16 April 2004, 22:18   #45

Length: under 3m
Bembridge

Hi Again,
Thanks for replying so quickly. Jim deals also with all of my problems and queries with boats (he is very helpful!!!). Thanks for checking the tubes the other day. When I arrived at the IOW I saw 2 Adventure Ribs on the pontoon I presume one was yours and one was steves one had an optimax 90 and the other had a 135. I went out with my boat the other day (can't exactly remember the date) and was just coming out of the Harbour and going through the buoys when I was overtaken by an adventure with a 90 mercury on it. It had three people on it 2 adults and 1 child (about 7 ish )facing the engine was this you? I bought my boat from Ron Hale Marine in Portsmouth (VERY USELESS DEALER). I would not recommend this dealer to anyone. Firstly I asked for a Speedo to be fixed on to my boat and they could not do that, then I asked for a fishfinder to be fitted then they made up some excuse that the hull was too oddly shaped. Before my Seasport I had an Avon Redcrest with a Mercury 3.3hp engine. I am actually 15 and the boat is my dads but he lets me and my brother drive it. My family was tired of buying inflatable dinghies at the beach and them tearing later that day so I persuaded my family to look at a slightly more expensive alternative. On our way back from the IOW one year I persuaded them to go to Ron Hale Marine. They did and to my disbelief and astonishment my Dad bought this Avon Dinghy. We went to the Southampton Boat show a few years and excursions later and had a ride in a 560 Adventure. I then asked my Dad if we could go back to Ron Hale sometime and look at there stock and get a couple of quotes etc. We did and my Dad then Purchased a Seasport that I was very excited and Pleased about!!!. I have been to the IOW at least once a year for the last 8 years and stayed in Ryde and Bembridge. We have decided to keep the boat in Bembridge as it is such a Nice village and there is not many other places where we would have time to drive it.

Thanks For replying

Alistair
Old 09 May 2004, 17:47   #46

Towed back from the IOW now so hope to be out in the next few weeks when the weathers good in Essex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of P1010064.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	5620  
Old 09 May 2004, 22:43   #47

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
[QUOTE=Nick West]Hi Alastair....I presume!

I had my first fright today with my 7 yr old son......just out of the buoy channel and opened her up, I then get the overheat warning (optimax smartcraft guages are excellent) anyway,

Nick did the mechanic also tell you about the guardian mode that really is a good feature. basically if the engine thinks it's in trouble it cuts back to 1000 revs or so. which lets you stay under way but doesn't hammer the engine.

Also if you ever run out of Opti oil on the main tank then you switch on to reserve tank automatically with a lot of grumbling from the smart gauges. when you refill the oil in the maintank you need to vent the reserve oil bottle in the engine. The best way is not to run out of Oil but it's not always possible
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2004, 22:49   #48

[QUOTE=Rogue Wave]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick West
Hi Alastair....I presume!

I had my first fright today with my 7 yr old son......just out of the buoy channel and opened her up, I then get the overheat warning (optimax smartcraft guages are excellent) anyway,

Nick did the mechanic also tell you about the guardian mode that really is a good feature. basically if the engine thinks it's in trouble it cuts back to 1000 revs or so. which lets you stay under way but doesn't hammer the engine.

Also if you ever run out of Opti oil on the main tank then you switch on to reserve tank automatically with a lot of grumbling from the smart gauges. when you refill the oil in the maintank you need to vent the reserve oil bottle in the engine. The best way is not to run out of Oil but it's not always possible

My optimax 135 broke down the first week due to a flat battery and it stopped even in Guardian mode. should it have kept going?
Had to be towed in with wife and 3 kids!
Old 10 May 2004, 16:32   #49

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Care
My optimax 135 broke down the first week due to a flat battery and it stopped even in Guardian mode. should it have kept going?
Had to be towed in with wife and 3 kids!

I had this problem when my power cables became corroded. The battery would spin the motor but you needed more power to make the spark.

I don't really now any more than that. but did it break down when you were under away.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2004, 09:37   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I had this problem when my power cables became corroded. The battery would spin the motor but you needed more power to make the spark.

I don't really now any more than that. but did it break down when you were under away.
we were driving along all ok when I trimmed the engine up the low battery warning alerted me. We turned round to head back and it said de-accelerate which we did then after a few min's it just stopped. So got towed in.
It was a lead that had an inline fuse from the alternator that charged the battery which was changed and been fine since, But without the battery power even when the engine was running it won't keep running
Old 13 May 2004, 11:04   #51
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Can you get to the alternator to check the current/voltage being supplied? Once the engine is running, it shouldn't need the battery. It sounds like it might be running mostly (or only) on the battery - hence why warned as the battery ran low, and it stopped as the battery couldn't supply enough juice to run the engine.

It might be the leads between the alternator and the engine, the alternator itself not producing enough juice, or whatever is driving the alternator (fan belt?) not driving the alternator under load.

Hope this helps!!

Dylan...
Old 13 May 2004, 12:09   #52

Town: Lussan (30580)
Boat name: Gibbule
Make: RIBTEC 6.55
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Bibounde78
Interior configuration

Hello Steve ,
Do you have plan of implatation and quotation of the installation of your Avon 6.2 ?

Where is your fuel tank ? How much liters ?

Because i look to buy the same boat (Avon 6.2) with a similar configuration.

Best regards,
Philippe

https://www.pneuboat.com/frames.php?u....php&num_pp=18
Bibounde78 is offline   Reply With Quote