Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 April 2006, 11:03   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla
If you look at boats/ships built for heavy weather they are usually short on style and long on construction, we only have "style" on these little boats of ours because we are usually just out playing around when the waves and weather are nice, otherwise everyone would have an enclosed cabin on their boat, imho. Show me a really stylish serious heavy weather rib, haven't seen one although Buzzi/FBdesign comes VERY close! The 55 is very sharp.

How about this

http://www.ribworker.com/riviera.htm

or this

http://www.ribworker.com/bas.htm

or these

http://www.protectorribs.com/protector/

or even this when it's finished!!!

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....chmentid=17744



I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to be honest I prefer ALL the RIBS I have posted!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 12:04   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,255
It's called a hardboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It is possible to have a boat that performs but also looks good!!!
__________________

__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 12:14   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
It's called a hardboat

Got to be honest if someone offered to swop me a nice old Cougar US46 or something I may be tempted.....

And when I stick the new suzuki 300hp on my RIB the 225efi may just find it's way onto a Ring!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 12:32   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Personally I prefer the wind and sunshine in my face. Being out in the elements is the whole reason I go boating.

I really cant understand why people buy a boat for leisure use that separates them from the very environment that having a boat allows you to experience - you might as well stay at home in your warm cosy living room.

I can understand the need for cabins etc on boats used entirely for transportation or commercial purposes where the boating is not the reason for going out but simply a means to do something else. But I don't think that is what this thing is aimed at.

My advice - if you need a cabin or a wrap around windshield to cut you off from the elements - stay out of them in the first place. And think of a warmer and gentler pastime - like knitting...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 13:17   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Very true - look how many around the world sailing boats have open cockpits!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 13:58   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Ugly as feck'.... and I know ugly.... ... but that's only an opinion... as is yours... don't be so damned condescending when you are talking about subjectivity... the headline was “eye catching” and that it most certainly is…. But then so was the Elephant man…
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 14:33   #27
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dun Laoghaire
Boat name: Ruby
Make: Valiant 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60-4
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Funny how the Irish guys all agree with each other
Here's one who doesn't. I think it's brute ugly. It's got that hulking humvee aesthetic which some people love, but I don't.
__________________
jgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 16:35   #28
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Tsunami/Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350hp Volvo Diesel
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Personally I prefer the wind and sunshine in my face. Being out in the elements is the whole reason I go boating.

My advice - if you need a cabin or a wrap around windshield to cut you off from the elements - stay out of them in the first place. And think of a warmer and gentler pastime - like knitting...
I don't think anybody would argue with you when you say you prefer the wind and sunshine in your face. In an ideal world there would be no need for the shelter this rib provides. However we don't always get to choose what the weather will be during our free time and a lot of the time it is pretty bad!
A lot of people like to cover a lot of distance over a very exposed coastline and this gives the whole family the oportunity to do that in weather that you wouldn't attempt to take the wife and kids out in, in an open boat. All of the people that own and have ordered these boats have moved up from open ribs because it allows them to do more off what they enjoy whenever they want!
All im saying is that what suits some people 100% doesn't have to suit another, same with cars, motorbikes etc...
Obviously we also build open ribs for those that prefer that option!!
__________________
Joe

www.ribs.ie
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 23:04   #29
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
How about this

http://www.ribworker.com/riviera.htm

or this

http://www.ribworker.com/bas.htm

or these

http://www.protectorribs.com/protector/

or even this when it's finished!!!

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....chmentid=17744



I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to be honest I prefer ALL the RIBS I have posted!!!
Nice boats Codprawn, is it ok for me to say I really like the last one???
__________________
pathalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 23:10   #30
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
I don't think anybody would argue with you when you say you prefer the wind and sunshine in your face. In an ideal world there would be no need for the shelter this rib provides. However we don't always get to choose what the weather will be during our free time and a lot of the time it is pretty bad!
A lot of people like to cover a lot of distance over a very exposed coastline and this gives the whole family the oportunity to do that in weather that you wouldn't attempt to take the wife and kids out in, in an open boat. All of the people that own and have ordered these boats have moved up from open ribs because it allows them to do more off what they enjoy whenever they want!
All im saying is that what suits some people 100% doesn't have to suit another, same with cars, motorbikes etc...
Obviously we also build open ribs for those that prefer that option!!
One thing is certain Tsunami, design on your craft seem to have generated quite the controversy.... it is obvious what you had in mind when designing the boats, not everyone's cup of "tea" but most likely very nice when things get nasty out there in the slop!
__________________

__________________
pathalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.