Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 December 2005, 19:45   #1
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Brrrrrr!!!!!

Just got these pics thru from timboli (cheers, mate!)



...and, sunk under the weight of that ice?
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 19:49   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
F**k me...

Where where those pictures taken...
__________________

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 20:00   #3
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
I'll pass on the invitation if that's all the same!

Dunno, err, somewhere a bit cold!

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 20:24   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
bogib's Avatar
 
Country: Iceland
Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,959
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
North east coast USA or Canada, quite easy to identify and wouldn´t happen my neck of wood apart from vessels sailing............

Bogi
__________________
RIBs and ribbing is my life
www.sjosport.is
bogib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 20:43   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 270
I heard scientists are concerned that the UK and other surrounding countries may be experience an annual temperature drop on average of a few degrees over the next decade due to major changes in the ocean bringing less warm currents to the region. Anyone hear this?
__________________
boatster_sr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 20:50   #6
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogib
North east coast USA or Canada, quite easy to identify and wouldn´t happen my neck of wood apart from vessels sailing............

Bogi
Actually its none of those but Lake Leman Switzerland.......

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/icestorm.asp

We get Ice Storms here but not that bad thank gawd!
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 21:01   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
bogib's Avatar
 
Country: Iceland
Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,959
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
I am surprised......... thanks Alan for correcting

Well I do not really believe in the global warming as it seems coming in cycles and for instance we where warmer than London today

Bogi
__________________
RIBs and ribbing is my life
www.sjosport.is
bogib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2005, 23:35   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
I heard scientists are concerned that the UK and other surrounding countries may be experience an annual temperature drop on average of a few degrees over the next decade due to major changes in the ocean bringing less warm currents to the region. Anyone hear this?
Yes - the Gulf stream is responsible for the UK having such a temperate climate despite being as far North as Canada.

Global climate change takes 1000s of years but they reckon the gulf stream can shift in as little as 10yrs - it would mean we would have warmer summers and colder winters instead of rain all the time!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2005, 05:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes - the Gulf stream is responsible for the UK having such a temperate climate despite being as far North as Canada.

Global climate change takes 1000s of years but they reckon the gulf stream can shift in as little as 10yrs - it would mean we would have warmer summers and colder winters instead of rain all the time!!!
I've not heard the warmer summer theory. I understand that if the Gulf Stream shifts or shuts down we are in trouble. The climate in the UK is massively influenced by the Stream, we would basically just chill down period.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2005, 09:16   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
I've not heard the warmer summer theory. I understand that if the Gulf Stream shifts or shuts down we are in trouble. The climate in the UK is massively influenced by the Stream, we would basically just chill down period.
Not at all - in the Winter the Gulf stream keeps us warmer than we should be - in the Summer it has the opposite effect - drags down summer temps and is responsible for our weather being so wet all the time.

Looking at a globe even Land's End is further North than most of Newfoundland and is almost on a level with the start of the Hudson Bay. That's further North than any part of the USA bar Alaska.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.