Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 31 January 2006, 10:11   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
2.1 metre SIB,4hp and a real Dolphin!

Well as in the title above picture this..

Got use of a 2.1 metre sib, using a mates 4hp merc wanted to get out in portsmouth harbour for a play, clear my head after a heavy saturday night, launched well threw the boat in the drink at porchester bolted on the motor off we go.. went up to haslar potted around and thought about coming back when the tide was in my favour.. ish - wind picked up to about a force 5, quite choppy for a small boat that nearly planes I might add anyway...

wind on starboard side with side on mini waves trying to deal with incoming swell from recently passed pilot boat and ferry, I hear this massive blast coming from behind me, obviously his blowhole turned around just saw this dolphin tail go under in a slight state of shock with all the other elements in the equation, immediately went to other side and sure enough the thing was chasing my wake, I was a bit concerned as he was bigger than the boat I was in a real tiny boat and he kept popping up in different places, but WOW totally amazing He was real close probably could have nudged me out if he wanted, think of the bouncy castle effect of a sib, really responsive tiller control aswell I might add! - managed to film him on my camera amazingly, have a look at link here soon

http://www.ollysrib.741.com/290106dolphin.avi

- I'm totally stoked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	17309  
Old 31 January 2006, 10:30   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
I took my dads boat out for a spin on sunday with a mate and we went to portsmouth so my mate could do some photography. We saw the dolphin as well he was playing with us for about half hour. bit differnt tho when your in a 29ft rib. we got some amzing pics as he comes up and nuges the back of the tubes at 10kts truly amzing experience. I had 10 come and play with the my zapcat when i was racing in penzance
Old 31 January 2006, 10:36   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
what a great pic that was and being able to catch it on vid is superb

while down in cornwall last summer i was out in our sib (3.4 quicksilver with 15hp yam) with my 5 yr old son and a shark longer than the boat started cruising with us. i had no camera or vid with us but did have a 2way radio so messaged the mrs to say there is a shark longer than the boat swimming with us.....you should have heard the reply!! I was under the missguided idea that if there was a problem i could outrun the shark with no issue but i have since learned on tv the particular shark in question could do 60mph..fech me
Old 31 January 2006, 12:10   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Drop Meridian or South today a line so they can air it at the end of the local news. Tony did, and shared his experience with all of the South.....Terriffic!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2006, 12:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon

while down in cornwall last summer i was out in our sib (3.4 quicksilver with 15hp yam) with my 5 yr old son and a shark longer than the boat started cruising with us. i had no camera or vid with us but did have a 2way radio so messaged the mrs to say there is a shark longer than the boat swimming with us.....you should have heard the reply!! I was under the missguided idea that if there was a problem i could outrun the shark with no issue but i have since learned on tv the particular shark in question could do 60mph..fech me

Sheaayyatt!!!
Old 31 January 2006, 16:03   #6

Video up and working now
Old 01 February 2006, 10:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Drop Meridian or South today a line so they can air it at the end of the local news. Tony did, and shared his experience with all of the South.....Terriffic!
perhaps i will andy cheers
Old 01 February 2006, 13:58   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon

Must have been a Mako then???

We used to see them quite often jumping 20' out of the water in the Red Sea but never in the UK!!!

Don't think they would reach those speeds in British waters - they are going to be as sluggish as hell. In the Red Sea sharks were never reallly a danger either as the water was too warm - bit like people having no energy when it's too hot.

Of course Australia must have the ideal water temp for sharks!!!
Old 01 February 2006, 14:28   #9

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
we never sussed what it was but there have been basking sharks and makos sighted around the west of england. Basking sharks being quite common and a mako being sighted a couple of times.

when i first saw the shark all i actually saw was the typical fin out of the water and thinking it was some person playing a joke i slowly motored over to take a look, as i got closer i realised very quickly it was a damn big shark. the distance from the main fin to the tail was a long way. it submerged when we got closer and i went along side it for a while. I started to call out to other boats and folks swimming that there was a large/huge shark in the water but most of them just looked at me as if i had landed from the moon. a couple of guys were charging around being towed in toys so i told them and they carried on so in my mind i had done what i could and was of the opinion i had told em and if they were eaten then their tough luck!!! some others got out of the water but you would be amazed how many people just stayed in and shrugged their shoulders

our little boat was 3.4m long and the shark was longer than the boat by some feet

we followed it around and hasselled it into deeper water where we lost sight of it but initially it was cruising in less than 10 foot of water.

it did not have the fin arrangements of a basking shark so perhaps it was one of the makos....who knows.....but for sure i would keep my distance in future especially with my son on board...we are not snacks!!
Old 01 February 2006, 14:39   #10

You are safe in British waters - sharks too cold to bother - same if water too hot.

We used to swim with them milling around us in the Red Sea all the time - never a problem - Makos - Hammerheads etc. Worst things were all the poisonous stuff - stonefish - lionfish - stingrays - even the shells on the beach!!!

Wouldn't stay in the water for long in OZ though!!!
Old 01 February 2006, 14:44   #11

Just read up on the Med - quite a few sharks there as the waters a LOT warmer than ours but very rare do they ever attack anyone!!! Last was in 1984 off Greece - and look how many people swim in the Med!!!
Old 01 February 2006, 17:37   #12

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
You are safe in British waters - sharks too cold to bother - same if water too hot.
Oh I don't know about that!

A good few years ago off the Nab Tower a Basking Shark landed on a small Fishing boat and sank it....If I remember correctly.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2006, 18:23   #13

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Nice one Olly

Us