Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Jackwabbit,
I'm surprised to hear what you say about ALKO hubs as I've had them on my trailer for over 10 years and have only had to replace one set of bearings in that time! Lots of miles and launches too. Maybe they've changed the spec since my axle was built and the newer ones aren't as good? When I changed mine about a year or two ago, I had trouble sourcing replacements, until my local bearing supplier sold me a set suited to a Vauxhall Vectra! Are these the same as the ones you have?
These did need pressing into the hub (relatively easily), but the hub/drum can be easily removed to check the brakes.
These donít sound the same & unless you had an 8foot scaffold pole handy thereís no way could you undo the locking nut, (the 8foot scaffold pole & 19stone of my weight only just cracked the nut to get it un-dun) & if yours have lasted that long then think yourself lucky they arenít the same. The ones used on our trailer can be seen on the following link http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html they are if I remember rightly the bearings we have are the WKB35 ones.
I donít think Iím alone with having problems with AL-KO hubs just do a search on this forum & you will see all sorts of horror stories.

Old 04 October 2005, 13:53   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
These donít sound the same & unless you had an 8foot scaffold pole handy thereís no way could you undo the locking nut, (the 8foot scaffold pole & 19stone of my weight only just cracked the nut to get it un-dun) & if yours have lasted that long then think yourself lucky they arenít the same. The ones used on our trailer can be seen on the following link http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html they are if I remember rightly the bearings we have are the WKB35 ones.
I donít think Iím alone with having problems with AL-KO hubs just do a search on this forum & you will see all sorts of horror stories.
Thanks for that link - they look like mine but seem a bit smaller. Maybe I was lucky with the first set, but I never thought they'd last 8 years with no maintenance, other than adjusting the brakes. The scaffold pole was required, but I managed with a 2' pole and similar loading! I'll check to see if I can find any more info on the ones I changed - seem to remember making a note somewhere because they were hard to get replacements for, but I thought I'd be okay now for another 8 years - maybe not?

Old 09 May 2006, 19:09   #13

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
My luck has obviously run out!
Checked the bearings last night and they're notchy as hell. Will have to replace them before doing a 200 mile tow down to Southampton for RIBEX. I've ordered them from ALKO this time, as maybe the Vectra specials weren't up to the challenges of the marine environment.
We'll see how long the third set last.....
Old 11 May 2006, 16:54   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'll get all my trailer ready for you to fix when you get here

07774401963 are you ok with the destination?

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote