new multi roller and bunk trailers from £880

http://www.seawolfribs.com/html/trailers.html
Old 12 August 2005, 22:43   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
I have just e-mailed them to find out what type of bearings they use, if they reply i'll let you know.
Old 13 August 2005, 11:09   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
One & the same me thinks!
http://www.parrymoretrailers.com/Pag...e=MultiRollers
Have not used them but have only heard good things!
Old 13 August 2005, 12:14   #4

Town: Fareham
Sea Wolf RIBs are a bit cheaper though!
Old 13 August 2005, 12:35   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Looks like it, but as I say have only heard good things about them!
Old 15 August 2005, 10:09   #6

I have just had an e-mail back and they said "the type of bearings used on both theses trailers are water proof bearings"
I didn’t know there was any such thing so I’ve asked for clarification as to whether they mean sealed for life bearings.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:21   #7

Their reply came back saying “yes they are waterproof bearings”
Hmmmm not a lot of information there!
So I have asked them again for more information & explained the problems we have had with sealed for life (maintenance free) AL-KO bearings.

Has anyone else come across waterproof bearings on boat trailers?
Are they something I have missed?
Do they really exist?

Or is someone thinking because they are sealed for life they must be waterproof?

I’ll let you know if I hear anything new from them, after all I’ve not heard of waterproof bearings before.
Old 16 August 2005, 16:58   #8

Ok I have just read the e-mail I received from Dolphin Boats UK Ltd (Seawolf Ribs) earlier today& here is a copy of the e-mail I sent them & their reply.

“Thanks for getting back in touch and I’m sorry to keep harping on about bearings, but I need to know a few things before making any decisions.
You see I have a long history of towing trailers, caravans & boats & up until last year I have always had taper roller bearings in all of the trailers, last year I picked up a new RIB and it came with a trailer that had AL-KO hubs with sealed for life bearings.
We were informed that they were the best thing since sliced bread, no more stripping down, cleaning & repacking the bearings every year.
Now this hasn’t been much of a problem & we still have a boat trailer that’s over 8 years old on the same taper roller bearings & brakes, but the new trailer has been another story.
Within the first 6 months it had to have new brake cables & brake shoes, & now its 18 months old the sealed for life bearings have collapsed sending a wheel flying down the road & nearly causing a nasty accident on a busy stretch of the M25.
So as you can probably tell I’m not very impressed with the idea of getting another boat trailer with sealed for life (maintenance free) bearings, after all how long does it take to strip down the old taper bearings & repack them with new grease?
So I would appreciate it if you could tell me if your bearings are the sort that will require a hydraulic press to change them, & cost a fortune every time we want to check on the brakes. Or whether they are the type that can be stripped down & checked, for only the cost of a couple of split pins.
Thanks for any help
John”

“Hello john

you cant strip them down as they are sealed units, but NOT like the sealed for life bearing which are not that good and lot of people have had trouble with,

These bearing are generations on from the old sealed for life ones. These are a very reliable bearings and are made partly of stainless steel, the trailer is also fitted with SS brake cables, alternatively these trailers can be fitted with taper roller bearings if required.”

So my questions to all you out there in RIBnet land is,
1. Is this true are there new bearings out there being used on boat trailers?
2. Has anyone seen them or know anything about them?"

Having just fitted new bearings to our AL-KO hubs, we should be ok for a couple of months before we have to get the new trailer or change them again.
Old 17 August 2005, 17:13   #9

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Jackwabbit,

We use stainless steel sealed bearings at work (food industry) I'll talk to our bearing suppliers and see if they are marine proof. They arent the cheapest of things either. Also may not be available in trailer sizes but we'll see.

We also have "sealed" bearings with a lubrication groove (self aligning bearings), again I've not seen this (lubrication groove) on a trailer but it wouldnt be a bad idea.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2005, 12:16   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Jackwabbit,
I'm surprised to hear what you say about ALKO hubs as I've had them on my trailer for over 10 years and have only had to replace one set of bearings in that time! Lots of miles and launches too. Maybe they've changed the spec since my axle was built and the newer ones aren't as good? When I changed mine about a year or two ago, I had trouble sourcing replacements, until my local bearing supplier sold me a set suited to a Vauxhall Vectra! Are these the same as the ones you have?
These did need pressing into the hub (relatively easily), but the hub/drum can be easily removed to check the brakes.
Old 04 October 2005, 13:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Jackwabbit,
I'm surprised to hear what you say about ALKO hubs as I've had them on my trailer for over 10 years and have only had to replace one set of bearings in that time! Lots of miles and launches too. Maybe they've changed the spec since my axle was built and the newer ones aren't as good? When I changed mine about a year or two ago, I had trouble sourcing replacements, until my local bearing supplier sold me a set suited to a Vauxhall Vectra! Are these the same as the ones you have?
These did need pressing into the hub (relatively easily), but the hub/drum can be easily removed to check the brakes.
These don’t sound the same & unless you had an 8foot scaffold pole handy there’s no way could you undo the locking nut, (the 8foot scaffold pole & 19stone of my weight only just cracked the nut to get it un-dun) & if yours have lasted that long then think yourself lucky they aren’t the same. The ones used on our trailer can be seen on the following link http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html they are if I remember rightly the bearings we have are the WKB35 ones.
I don’t think I’m alone with having problems with AL-KO hubs just do a search on this forum & you will see all sorts of horror stories.
Old 04 October 2005, 17:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
These don’t sound the same & unless you had an 8foot scaffold pole handy there’s no way could you undo the locking nut, (the 8foot scaffold pole & 19stone of my weight only just cracked the nut to get it un-dun) & if yours have lasted that long then think yourself lucky they aren’t the same. The ones used on our trailer can be seen on the following link http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html they are if I remember rightly the bearings we have are the WKB35 ones.
I don’t think I’m alone with having problems with AL-KO hubs just do a search on this forum & you will see all sorts of horror stories.
Thanks for that link - they look like mine but seem a bit smaller. Maybe I was lucky with the first set, but I never thought they'd last 8 years with no maintenance, other than adjusting the brakes. The scaffold pole was required, but I managed with a 2' pole and similar loading! I'll check to see if I can find any more info on the ones I changed - seem to remember making a note somewhere because they were hard to get replacements for, but I thought I'd be okay now for another 8 years - maybe not?
Old 09 May 2006, 23:09   #13

My luck has obviously run out!
Checked the bearings last night and they're notchy as hell. Will have to replace them before doing a 200 mile tow down to Southampton for RIBEX. I've ordered them from ALKO this time, as maybe the Vectra specials weren't up to the challenges of the marine environment.
We'll see how long the third set last.....
Old 11 May 2006, 20:54   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'll get all my trailer ready for you to fix when you get here

07774401963 are you ok with the destination?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote