Old 09 June 2013, 17:39   #1

Town: east sussex
Boat name: humber
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
boat trailer

hi got a brenderup galvanised boat trailer with winch, its just not suited for my rib so looking to swap for something more ideal.

my rib is 4.5 mtr

Old 09 June 2013, 21:27   #2

Town: warrington
Boat name: one life
Make: delta dash
Length: 7m +
Engine: mercruiser 190hp
It it to big or to small for your rib? Regards
Old 09 June 2013, 21:30   #3

It's about 16ft of load space (to the winch) but just not the right shape, just found out my rib is 5.1mtr so I will need about 15ft load space minimum, what have you got?
Old 10 June 2013, 10:09   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Alio,

Just be aware with ribs that because the tubes overhang, there is a huge chance that your 5m boat will in fact fit a boat trailer designed for a 4(ish) m boat. Ribs are usually measured from the tip of the bow to the point of the cones. Both stick out to the tune of half a metre, and so if you look at a rib on a trailer most will have huge long drawbars sticking out the front because they were sized for the LOA.

I found this nugget out when I was trying to fit a 5m boat into a 5.7m garage on a braked trailer!

Other thing to bear in mind is towing weight. Not sure what your car is, but I'm going to make a stab in the dark guess that if you park a 5m rib on an unbraked trailer you will be sailing remakably close to the absolute unbraked max weight of 750Kg. This number is likely to be less than that unless you drive something like a Discovery, so it's well worth doing you homework to make sure you won't need a braked trailer.

Humber were really helpful when I phoned them to find out the weight of mine. Other option is if you are passing a weighbride then (assuming it's plated) subtract the weight of your current trailer from the number.

If I have served to worry / confuse it's probably best to post a Q in the trailers section. It's just better to do the homework now than find out the hard way from the traffic constabulary as you get hauled in for a random check.....
Old 10 June 2013, 10:36   #5

Thankyou for reply, boat and engine weights 515kg, would you recommend a roller coaster?, like you say I think my trailer is to big for what I want really, you could put a 20ft boat on mine easy as the winch bar could come forward a couple of foot, just want to do a swap for a more practical trailer not better.