RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (https://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   About RIBnet | Site Help & Announcements (https://www.rib.net/forum/f31/)
-   -   5hp to a 15hp (https://www.rib.net/forum/f31/5hp-to-a-15hp-88360.html)

Jenks87 20 June 2022 06:59

5hp to a 15hp

Hi guys new to this and was hoping someone could help 😃. Just got a 3.3m sib with a 5hp 4 stroke mercury On the back. I was hoping to get a 15hp for it as itís the biggest recommended engine for the boat and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to the lightest one available or something which would perform just as well. Used for fishing but need the power to get around the coast in the tides etc. thanks very much 🤌🏽

A1an 20 June 2022 07:19

Personally I’d opt for a two stroke if you are going to 15hp, a 15hp 4 stroke is a lump of a thing.

chipko 20 June 2022 07:24

Hi,
If going new or nearly new the current crop of 15 hp four strokes from the big six manufacturers tip the scales at;

Tohatsu 43kg
Suzuki 44kg
Honda 46kg
Mercury/Mariner 47kg
Yamaha 51kg

If looking at pre 2006 two strokes then Merc/Mariner/Yamaha around 36 to 38kg

Jenks87 20 June 2022 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1an (Post 854380)
Personally Iíd opt for a two stroke if you are going to 15hp, a 15hp 4 stroke is a lump of a thing.

Yes thatís what I was hoping to do, lightest I found was a 2 stroke Yamaha at 37kg which I was hoping would be manageable enough for me to launch with boat on my own. Donít want to get an engine adding to much weight and end up struggling alone 🙈

Jenks87 20 June 2022 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipko (Post 854381)
Hi,
If going new or nearly new the current crop of 15 hp four strokes from the big six manufacturers tip the scales at;

Tohatsu 43kg
Suzuki 44kg
Honda 46kg
Mercury/Mariner 47kg
Yamaha 51kg

If looking at pre 2006 two strokes then Merc/Mariner/Yamaha around 36 to 38kg

Yea defo guna look at a 2 stroke to reduce the weight, hard to find second hand so may have to opt for a newer one 🤔

Jenks87 20 June 2022 09:45

Also, are new 2 strokes only sold as commercial now meaning I would have to find a second hand one? New to this so all info much appreciated ����

A1an 20 June 2022 20:34

You’ll struggle to find a dealer that will sell you a two stroke, they can still be found on the various forums/free ads but you’ll pay through the nose for them. There was a nice Yamaha 9.9 for sale recently and I think these can be modified to 15hp pretty easily. I’ve not personally done one so wouldn’t like to comment further.

Jenks87 20 June 2022 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1an (Post 854408)
Youíll struggle to find a dealer that will sell you a two stroke, they can still be found on the various forums/free ads but youíll pay through the nose for them. There was a nice Yamaha 9.9 for sale recently and I think these can be modified to 15hp pretty easily. Iíve not personally done one so wouldnít like to comment further.

Yes looking more into it now that might be the better option as seam to be a lot more of those engines about, will keep on the hunt and hope something pops up. Thanks for the info 👌🏼

Jenks87 27 June 2022 21:57

1996 mariner 9.9hp 2 strokw

Ok so just purchased an immaculate 1996 mariner 9.9hp 2 stroke, should be plenty of power for two of us and fishing gear but is this one of engines you can upgrade the carb on into a 15hp just incase want to get that little bit more? Engine coming in next couple of days 🤪 should notice a big difference from the 5hp 4 stroke. Cheers guys

Fenlander 28 June 2022 14:13

2 Attachment(s)
Carb much larger bore so if you can find a decent used one... or perhaps a bargain Chinese new one... you will be well on the way to the upgrade. At the moment I forget if anything else re timing etc needs changing. I might even have known it in a past life and forgotten. If someone finds I've posted re this in the past please link it and show just how leaky my memory has become!

For now here are the two carbs in comparison when I owned both size motors at the same time.

Jenks87 28 June 2022 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenlander (Post 854797)
Carb much larger bore so if you can find a decent used one... or perhaps a bargain Chinese new one... you will be well on the way to the upgrade. At the moment I forget if anything else re timing etc needs changing. I might even have known it in a past life and forgotten. If someone finds I've posted re this in the past please link it and show just how leaky my memory has become!

no worries, havnt got engine in water yet so hopefully wont need to upgrade but if do will have a good search. cheers for the info and will defo look it up if needed :D